Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

budget turbo build Qs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:02 AM

budget turbo build Qs?

Im thinking about a turbo build, I have a tight budget. I already have a hotside, DP manis, cross over.

Im going with a cheap ebay t4 turbo, maybe a holsetx35. godspeed 38mm WG, and type s BOV.

My question is, would i be safe on 42lb injectors, and a walboro pump? thats it, this is a minimal build. Do i need to upgrade my FPR?
Old 03-01-2012, 03:45 AM

Re: budget turbo build Qs?

Originally Posted by whitdog54
My question is, would i be safe on 42lb injectors, and a walboro pump? thats it, this is a minimal build. Do i need to upgrade my FPR?
Yes, you can only get as much HP as 42lb injectors can deliver though. And the stock fuel pressure regulator would probably work just fine at 1000hp if used correctly.
Cheap chinese turbo's are the way to go. Rebuild it as often as necessary for $35. I'd make sure to get at least a 67mm though.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:15 AM

the stock fpr will not work you need a boost reference regulator. 1:1. and i heard good stuff of the $80 knock off 50mm tial bov and there waistegates. and what is the hp goal

Last edited by tt383lt1; 03-01-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:54 AM

The stock fuel pressure regulator will work, it does increase fuel pressure with boost 1:1
Old 03-02-2012, 09:13 AM

I hope this goes without saying, but the motor is fully built right? I am just making sure you are not falling into that ever long category of people that think that nothing will go wrong with boosting a stock internal LT1.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:31 AM

He is running a LS1
Old 03-02-2012, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by RealQuick
He is running a LS1
Unfortunately that won't make a difference. LT1, LS1, they both came from the factory with non forged internals and a high CR. Throw boost at either one and you are asking for problems. For every one guy out there that is doing it and still driving it without blowing up, there are ten more guys that tried it as well and and were not so lucky.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by CALL911
Unfortunately that won't make a difference. LT1, LS1, they both came from the factory with non forged internals and a high CR. Throw boost at either one and you are asking for problems. For every one guy out there that is doing it and still driving it without blowing up, there are ten more guys that tried it as well and and were not so lucky.
True- but it can be done safely. Just like everything else its when people try to extract every little bit of HP and end up pushing parts past their limits. 5lbs of boost with a safe tune shouldn't have any issues IMO.

What starts as 5lbs of boost and a conservative tune, turns into 8lbs with a little more timing, 10lbs and more timing etc.

Boost is addictive and everyone who has it can attest to this fact- the problems come when you try to push parts beyond their limits.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Procharged94Lt1
Boost is addictive and everyone who has it can attest to this fact- the problems come when you try to push parts beyond their limits.
Putting boost on stock parts not meant to handle boost reguardless of the tune is pushing parts beyond the limits.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:44 AM

Putting boost on stock parts not meant to handle boost reguardless of the tune is pushing parts beyond the limits.
Stock GM LS Engine - Big Bang Theory - Hot Rod Magazine

im just gonna ask you nicely to please not post in my thread anymore, unless you have insight other then "you cant do it". You can post all you want, but im just asking to not clutter anymore, thanks in advance.

my HP goals are around 500, which i think with 7psi should be close to that.
A guy put down 470 wiyth an sts stock everything except 36lb injectors.

I can get a hotside with manis, crossover, dp and keep stock lcoation of everything except battery. I just need turbo, bov, wg, coldside.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by whitdog54
Stock GM LS Engine - Big Bang Theory - Hot Rod Magazine

im just gonna ask you nicely to please not post in my thread anymore, unless you have insight other then "you cant do it". You can post all you want, but im just asking to not clutter anymore, thanks in advance.

my HP goals are around 500, which i think with 7psi should be close to that.
A guy put down 470 wiyth an sts stock everything except 36lb injectors.

I can get a hotside with manis, crossover, dp and keep stock lcoation of everything except battery. I just need turbo, bov, wg, coldside.
My posts where not meant to clutter. Just because you don't want to hear that what you are doing may be potentially dangerous for your engine does not label it "non relevant" to your thread.

I have seen people do it countless times. Some end up successfull (like ones that make actual magazine articles). But most don't. My former boss sank thousands in doing everything as safe as possible with only 7 psi on his low mileage LS1 (safe tune,twin intercoolers, large fuel system ect.). His car didn't last 3,000 miles before it blew. This is just one case out of several.

Look man, I am not doing this to be a jerk, and I am sorry if you are taking it that way. For what its worth, I've said my .02 on the matter and then some, so I promise I will stop and not continue. But if I can save you, or potentially others the mistake my boss, and so many others have by boosting a stock application believing they would be completely safe, then I may have saved someone a very large headache, and perhaps saved them quite a bit of hard work and money.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:22 AM

What a saint
Old 03-24-2012, 01:21 AM

Forged internals are nice but not necessary. Look at the old Buick GNs and turbo Regals. They had cast pistons and guys boost those stock short blocks to the moon.

Nice thing about the LS1 is you can buy a set of cheap 317 heads and drop the compression to around 9:1 which is much more boost friendly (they also flow better than the early LS1 heads). 500 rwhp is a pretty easy mark with a stock cam and bigger injectors with a turbo.