F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

WTF state taxes

Old 02-16-2012, 06:33 PM

WTF state taxes

Last year we got $757 back from State, which offset the $800 we owed Federal. Well this year we owe $1800 in Federal but we're still getting exactly $757 back from State...? WTF? I paid $2,000 more to State but I'm getting the exact same amount back as last year. Anyone know why that would happen?

I'm using TaxCut, which I did last year as well. I'll have to go back through it, but it didn't look like there were any mistakes.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:39 PM

Re: WTF state taxes

What is this "state tax" you speak of?

Old 02-16-2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by dave89gta View Post

I used to not know either. No state tax in FL either, but the income increase I got moving to NC has been more than worth the little extra tax.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:13 PM

State tax ! LOL fools !
Old 02-16-2012, 08:18 PM

so many factors, impossible to say unless you disclose your entire return.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:27 PM
EkS

Did you make more money last year? If you did you might have moved up on the tax bracket so you owe more. Just a guess.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:42 PM

Single, married, change in 401K?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by dave89gta View Post

You'll understand where the state is making up for it's lack of state taxes if you buy a place. I just got my bill for the DIFFERENCE in escrow for 2011...$2600. That is in addition to the property taxes I was already paying all last year. I'll take the moderate state/property taxes over the no state/high property taxes, thank you.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by EkS View Post
Did you make more money last year? If you did you might have moved up on the tax bracket so you owe more. Just a guess.
I made $25k more last year than the year before, hence the extra state taxes. I don't think that put us in a new tax bracket though, we had just hit a new bracket the year before.

Originally Posted by ulakovic22 View Post
Single, married, change in 401K?
Married, started a 401k last year (never had one previously). No change in the way we filed. The only things that changed were starting the 401k, getting a new job and making more money. Everything else was pretty much right on with the year before.

The thing is I don't really understand the state returns as well as Federal (since I've only done them a handful of times, vs Federal that I've been doing for ~13 years). TaxCut fills out all the State stuff automatically from your Federal return, so there wasn't much to do in that section. I just don't understand how we paid a significant chunk more to State but we get an identical return as last year.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:21 AM

If you're this confused about it, maybe it's time to consult a tax professional?
Old 02-17-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by LHSer View Post
If you're this confused about it, maybe it's time to consult a tax professional?
Not worth the time/money for me at this point. Plus I'd rather keep doing this myself and learn. I've got a friend that's decent with this stuff so I may ask for his help, I just figured I'd post here in case someone could say "yeah, I've seen that, it's because of this".
Old 02-17-2012, 09:43 AM

You don't know what state taxes are until you live in NY- I claim "0" all year, then file for two at tax time- feds give me back a couple grand- I still owe money to NYS- It's even worse in NYC- and this is after paying sales tax to the state and various counties all year long. We have to be one of the most taxed states in the country.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Wild ***** View Post
You don't know what state taxes are until you live in NY- I claim "0" all year, then file for two at tax time- feds give me back a couple grand- I still owe money to NYS- It's even worse in NYC- and this is after paying sales tax to the state and various counties all year long. We have to be one of the most taxed states in the country.
Most Taxed States - Forbes.com
Old 02-17-2012, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Wild ***** View Post
I'm not really complaining, I lived in MA for a year and the only saving grace for me was that I didn't make any money. Overall it isn't a lot of money, I'm just confused why it didn't change.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:06 AM
dtp

Nothing to contribute other than I got my taxes done last night. $ coming back thanks to wife not working and a big tax hit on RSUs last year.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WTF state taxes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.