Where's all the longtime members? - Page 37 - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

Like Tree5Likes

Old 04-17-2017, 12:06 AM   #541

Re: Where's all the longtime members?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
Jason and Chris sold it several years ago. Only people left here are maybe a half dozen of us die-hard LT1 owners who try and help (mostly young people) that are buying clapped out LT1's for dirt cheap prices, and have no idea how to get them/keep them running. The only other moderator that still posts is JakeRobb. Shoebox is still here, but his 95 Z28 is for sale. I'm about to pull my dust covered Formula out of the garage and try to sell it. Sad.
All I know is back in 1999 to 2004 this Forum was huge! I got so much help here it was almost unreal. Everyone was so nice and helpful. This Forum was one of the most active Car Hobby Forums Online. Today, this forum is almost like a cemetery. WTF ?????

A few questions .....

1/ Why did Jason and Chris sell?
2/ Why did the highly successful and once popular 01-02 Camaro SS hobby disappear so quickly?
3/ Why did most of the Camaro forums die off?
4/ Where can late model 4th Gen Camaro SS owners congregate today?

Thanks 4 your time.

Last edited by F-Body Dude; 04-17-2017 at 10:40 PM.
F-Body Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:08 PM   #542
Super Moderator

Not sure why they sold. But I saw Internet Brands buy several of these forums maybe 5 or 6 years ago. Maybe they offered some decent $$$$. Jason and Chris still come here once in a while.

I think ls1tech took over many people that were here. Ls1tech covers LT1 as well. Still seems to be going strong.

Camaro forums died when the Camaro died. When it rose from the ashes in 2010, some effort went into setting up a 5th Gen forum here, but no one really sold it or promoted it. So I guess the 5th and 6th Gen people went elsewhere.

I have no idea where everyone is except maybe Ls1tech. I'm older than dirt, retired, losing interest in my car. I don't think I'll be here much longer. Never thought it would die off this way. TedH is the Administrator, but he didn't sign in even once in 2016. I offered to assume the responsibility, but was ignored. Maybe time to let it die a natural death.
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #543

Fred, you're just a kid compared to me. I'm coming up on 72. And I can tell it every time I get on a creeper, then try to get back up. I still have a '69 Road Runner. No, it's not a hemi, or 440+6. 383 with a little work done on it. It would take my Formula in a drag, but not on top end. Waiting to win the lottery so I can buy a Hellcat or Demon.
moparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:46 PM   #544

Thanks but like I said, I cannot understand the sudden death of the late 4th generation Camaro SS. 01-02 years, these Camaros were nothing short of amazing machines. I don't like 5th or 6th gen Camaros. I love the 01-02 Camaro SS Cars! This forum was so good back around 2000 to 2005. It is truly unreal how the 4th Gen Camaro Hobby died such a sudden death .... Unreal ... I'm speechless ... Sad.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:03 AM   #545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeds8erM-1 View Post
Yep, CrkHedMat, Back N Black, Scott9050, 6Speed, Fear, George Baxter, Brent Franker, Sled28 (RIP), MikeinMD (whoever it was that used to post street racing stories in Maryland), etc etc.

Also met a couple of my best friends off of this site many many years ago.
I am still here at times. Still have my LX. Picking up a rough 1996 SS to restore.

Last edited by Mike 92LX; 04-19-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Mike 92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #546

Why did the 4th Gen Camaro SS (2001-2002) die off so unjustifiably suddenly? Anyone? Hello?
Old 04-19-2017, 09:34 PM   #547
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparman View Post
Fred, you're just a kid compared to me. I'm coming up on 72. And I can tell it every time I get on a creeper, then try to get back up. I still have a '69 Road Runner. No, it's not a hemi, or 440+6. 383 with a little work done on it. It would take my Formula in a drag, but not on top end. Waiting to win the lottery so I can buy a Hellcat or Demon.
Actually, your four years behind me . Don't tell anybody . I only retired 16 months ago. I'm still doing consulting for the company I retired from. That reminds me - I have to start accumulating my 24 continuing education units, so I can renew my Professional Engineer license in 2018 !

My lottery choice would be a Corvette. I'm a Founding Member of the National Corvette Museum, for more than 25 years. But I never owned a Corvette.
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:15 PM   #548

Quote:
Not sure why they sold. But I saw Internet Brands buy several of these forums maybe 5 or 6 years ago. Maybe they offered some decent $$$$. Jason and Chris still come here once in a while.

I think ls1tech took over many people that were here. Ls1tech covers LT1 as well. Still seems to be going strong.

Camaro forums died when the Camaro died. When it rose from the ashes in 2010, some effort went into setting up a 5th Gen forum here, but no one really sold it or promoted it. So I guess the 5th and 6th Gen people went elsewhere.

I have no idea where everyone is except maybe Ls1tech. I'm older than dirt, retired, losing interest in my car. I don't think I'll be here much longer. Never thought it would die off this way. TedH is the Administrator, but he didn't sign in even once in 2016. I offered to assume the responsibility, but was ignored. Maybe time to let it die a natural death.
In my opinion once the Camaro production ended, interest in the cars with a majority of the members diminished (stating the obvious). Once they completed their car projects, they moved on to something else, or the cars just got old and were replaced. Since most of the mods for these cars were old news were and most members already knew about them their was no real reason to go to the tech sections. Starting a thread about your new CAI or Catback just didn't get any response. So most members simply hung out in the lounge exclusively.

About 5 or 6 years or shortly after the site was sold, there was a big blow-up between a moderator and the reigning clique. In my opinion the clique got a little too big for its britches and thought they were above the rules of conduct. They got their hands slapped and it pissed them off. They were used to getting away with a lot. Many of them were also frustrated with the way the forum was being run also. They created a new site and left this site to go over there. What you see today is the result.

Last edited by Mister Will; 04-21-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:20 PM   #549

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Body Dude View Post
Why did the 4th Gen Camaro SS (2001-2002) die off so unjustifiably suddenly? Anyone? Hello?
In short, poor sales. The Camaro hadn't been doing well for years. If you remember a lot of high performance coupes also disappeared (Toyota Supra, Mazda RX-7, Mitsubishi GT 30000). Then there was a rumor of a union dispute factoring in.

Last edited by Mister Will; 04-21-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:29 AM   #550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
Many of them were also frustrated with the way the forum was being run also. They created a new site and left this site to go over there. What you see today is the result.
What forum are you referring to?
Old 04-23-2017, 02:43 PM   #551

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Body Dude View Post
What forum are you referring to?
When I said forum I was referring to this site. The other one was a site that some members created and many members who used to hang out here in the lounge went over there.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:51 PM   #552

Quote:
Jason and Chris sold it several years ago. Only people left here are maybe a half dozen of us die-hard LT1 owners who try and help (mostly young people) that are buying clapped out LT1's for dirt cheap prices, and have no idea how to get them/keep them running. The only other moderator that still posts is JakeRobb. Shoebox is still here, but his 95 Z28 is for sale. I'm about to pull my dust covered Formula out of the garage and try to sell it.

Sad.
Sold the Z on 3/18/17. Took me about a year to finally let it go after being replaced as my daily driver. Everything has it's time. Still have my '57 that I drove when in high school, though. Gotta get it back on the road...
shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:19 AM   #553

Well,here is my spin on this.There are about 336 cars for sale nationwide today on autotrader alone.These are 1993-2002 f-body cars with v8's all with under 60,000 mi. on them.Camaro and Firebird.This number does not count the other media or the cars sitting in peoples garages that don't drive them much or anymore.My 27 year old neighbor across the street(living at home with his mom who is divorced) told me yesterday his dad owns a 2002 SS but doesn't drive it anymore(20.000mi.)cause he is up in age.I think these cars are still the best bang for the buck.As far as other web sites goes it seems to me that when all other sites fail to answer guestions for a person who cannot find the answer anywhere else ,this site always comes through,providing the car owner gives a complete description of his or her car.Gm never really advertised these cars hardly at all and that is why they didn't sell well.Also most kids today don't have the same interest in hot rods like I did back in the day.Here in southern Calif. we are Audi'd BMW,Mercedes, Volvo'd,Telsa,Dodge'd, range rover, Mini cooper'd and Mustanged to death.It's like a blur as they are so common.I stand out from the crowd.This is still the best site and I can see a bright future for this site.Sorry for the rant,but when I pull into a gas station everybody takes notice.I shine..After all,isn't that what it's all about?My 02.
Fatdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:51 AM   #554

Well I decided to join the other forum called threxxz28.com ... whatever that means, it's a dead forum. A bunch young dudes posting drama. Was curious, whatever happened to Jason and Chris? Those guys ran a great forum here. I got tons of help here with my beloved 02 SS. It's just really hard for me to understand why the hobby died so suddenly. The multiple generation Mustang forums are still going strong so WTF happened here I don't know!!!

Last edited by F-Body Dude; 04-26-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:00 AM   #555

Dang something told me to come on the site and see what is happening as with myself most disappeared. I sure remember the good ol days even before I joined "Ramair99ta over on LS1.com & LS1tech".

Sean

Last edited by 01pewterz28; 04-26-2017 at 05:05 AM.
01pewterz28 is offline   Reply With Quote