F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

What to do about the neighbor kids...

Old 10-10-2011, 09:03 PM

What to do about the neighbor kids...

So, 5 times now I've come home to find sticks, rocks, dirt, and pinecones stuffed inside my mailbox. I suspect it's these two little punks, probably about 12 years old that walk by on their way home after they get off the bus.

What to do?

-Do I set up a webcam, catch them in the act, and then??? I don't know where they live.

-Do I catch them in person, trail them home, and then follow up with their parents?

-Let it go? It's only mail?

-Post a sign on the box that says "smile you're on camera" with or without a webcam watching?

-Hook up the box to an un-grounded 240v circuit?
Old 10-10-2011, 09:06 PM
dtp

Re: What to do about the neighbor kids...

Webcam, leave DVD with video on it in parents' mailbox.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8 View Post
So, 5 times now I've come home to find sticks, rocks, dirt, and pinecones stuffed inside my mailbox. I suspect it's these two little punks, probably about 12 years old that walk by on their way home after they get off the bus.

What to do?

-Do I set up a webcam, catch them in the act, and then??? I don't know where they live.

-Do I catch them in person, trail them home, and then follow up with their parents?

-Let it go? It's only mail?

-Post a sign on the box that says "smile you're on camera" with or without a webcam watching?

-Hook up the box to an un-grounded 240v circuit?
All viable ideas, but your mail carrier is gonna be pissed about the 240v. No sense talking to the 'rents. If the kids are punks, the parents are too.

I say let it go; they'll find someone else to **** with when they realize you don't care.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:11 PM

Also, if it keeps up and you know for sure it's these punks, turn them in to the post office. It's a federal offense to screw with mailboxes.

A US Marshall showing up at their door might send a message.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by RRRR View Post
Also, if it keeps up and you know for sure it's these punks, turn them in to the post office. It's a federal offense to screw with mailboxes.

A US Marshall showing up at their door might send a message.
Awesome idea! You should follow them home once so you can do this.

Sent from my DROIDX
Old 10-10-2011, 09:38 PM

You have to make sure it's them, first. Then tell them to knock that **** off.

You could let it go, but why put up with it?

I try to have a good sense of humor about stuff the neighbor kids do. I used to do stuff like that when I was a kid too.

I'd tell them nicely (but firm) the first time. If there is another time, no more being nice.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:42 PM

call the postal carrier and warn them explicitly DO NOT open the mailbox, leave mail at the front door.

Then get a pipe bomb.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by 95Z28DROPTOP View Post
You have to make sure it's them, first. Then tell them to knock that **** off.

You could let it go, but why put up with it?

I try to have a good sense of humor about stuff the neighbor kids do. I used to do stuff like that when I was a kid too.

I'd tell them nicely (but firm) the first time. If there is another time, no more being nice.
One-off random stuff I can almost appreciate. This has happened five times now, and in a row of 4 mailboxes, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one getting hit (since the mailbox door is left open on most offenses, and the other neighbors aren't home yet. I sometimes wonder if it's targeted, knowing we're the very "different" household on the block. I won't assume that, but it's a possibility that one of the kids could be having some angst issues about it, or maybe even a childish adult neighbor?

I feel like I need to come off in a stronger way than just telling them to stop it if I see them out/about. That's why I was thinking maybe handing a pic to the kid's parents lets everyone know I don't **** around and any activity in front of my home is being watched...
Old 10-10-2011, 10:24 PM
S.E. Region Moderator

Have your mail held at the post office for a couple of weeks and put some form of instant bond/liquid cement on the mailbox handle. One day you'll come home and realize you've caught a kid.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:42 PM
CJ

Thinking back how it was when I was a kid terrorizing the neighborhood. It could be something as simple as your location. I remember toilet papering a neighbors house various time during the year usually around halloween. I dont know why we always hit that house but it was the only one we would do. As long as theyre not doing any damage I would just let it go. They will probably get bored and move on. If you escalate it and tell parents I dont thing I would do any good. If you include authorities then someones probably going to pay for stupid kids being stupid.

I remember a few years ago, one morning my wife and I were leaving the house. When we walked outside she was the first to notice toilet paper everywhere. All over the cars, in the trees, wadded up paper ***** plastered all over the house. She was PISSED, wanted to call the cops, file a report, all sorts of things. I just stood there and chuckled. She couldnt understand why I wasnt as mad as her. Once she questioned me, my only reply was, "karma."

Luckily for us we sold the house about a year later and moved, so I cant give you an update on the paperings
Old 10-10-2011, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by KWKSLVR View Post
Have your mail held at the post office for a couple of weeks and put some form of instant bond/liquid cement on the mailbox handle. One day you'll come home and realize you've caught a kid.
A "different" household "catching" a kid...... jail time, bay-bee!!!!!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:00 PM

A 12 year old?

.223 outta do the trick
Old 10-10-2011, 11:22 PM

Seriously? Laugh it off. They're not hurting anything.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:09 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by he-manhondah8er View Post
A 12 year old?

.223 outta do the trick
crossbow.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Camride View Post
Awesome idea! You should follow them home once so you can do this.
newmannnnn!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to do about the neighbor kids...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.