Go Back  CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
Very odd computer issue. See if you think this is a MB issue. >

Very odd computer issue. See if you think this is a MB issue.

F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:35 PM

Guys, I need some ideas. I usually build computers, but not this time. I have 8 years experience and a 2yr and 4yr degree usually pretty decent with hardware.

Anway got an HP ULTIMATE. I have been using a WD raptor 2 years or so in my dell 4700 zero issues. Put it in the HP and it says iminment disk failure. And it will not install xp or a ghost image on this drive in the new computer. It will blue screen if you try to boot to xp (Via my old image) or blue screen if you try to install xp.

Put the drive back in the old PC and it works great. I run WD tools (both of the downloads) smart capablity and everything is 100% ok. I run the spinrite takes over 5 hours and it comes out flying colors.

I format the whole drive put it in the HP and you can format it via disk mgt but it locks up and reboot and the format changes are GONE. and the drive is back to no partitions and RAW ( i have one usb drive hooked up during this time)

So if your like me your thinking just a bad HD. Just something is going south.

Well I hook up my USB drive to play some tunes. Works fine. Disk Mgt detects it fine. I reboot and vista says RAW. Oh crap, I use my other usb drive and it shows raw. I know these drives are good and fairly new. I get my XP laptop and hook them up and both confirm good and all files and the filesystem is in tack.

So does both the SATA and USB use the same mass stoarge controler?

Its sounding like the MB. But oddly enough the 400GB SATA drive that came with vista works fine. IT has 6 SATA ports, I tried using differnt ports and 2 different cables. I tried even another PS for the 10k raptor. I took out my SB audigy2zs(seen IRQ conficts before) Also tried front and rear usb ports and my powered extenstion 2.0.

To me it sounds something is funy in the MB. It has the Intel ICH8R/ICH9R SATA Raid and the installed driver from HP.

Just kinda getting on my nerves thanks guys.

Last edited by Coolformula; 12-17-2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:22 PM

It's not what Vista can do for you, but what you can buy for Vista.

Seems Bill Gates owned your computer
Old 12-17-2007, 11:23 PM

Survey says, vista sucks.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:09 AM

I think thats not a hardware issue. I think thats a vista issue
Old 12-18-2007, 01:21 AM

I'd try to narrow down the variables a bit. I'd take Vista out of the equation by booting into linux or a Bart PE XP via CD. See if the drives are accessible then, all same hardware just different OS. I always suspect Vista first. lol

SpinRite ran for that long without finding errors? What level did you select?

The failure message you mentioned is usually a BIOS level check of SMART status, but you say SMART testing went fine. Is everything showing up correctly in BIOS? Any BIOS updates avail? RAID turned off?

Sorry if I was no help, it's late and I'm not sure my brain is working.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:24 PM

The raptor works fine and its installing xp on my old dell. In the HP it bluescreens before you get to the format options in the xp boot CD.

Try to boot on my vista box to XP PE. It shows the xp loading screen(just like it did in my raptor drive) then straight to a blue screen.

I ran level 4 in spinrite. The vista box shows the smart is workign on the raptor, but somethings it does give the error and only shows up as RAW in vista even though it has windows or freshly formated.

Since PE runsin memory and its bluescreening, almost sounds like hardware, unless PE is not liking the chipset of this newer machine or something?

But the odd thing is vista is working fine. No issues besides the drives. And I left this pc on for 2 days. And typing thos to you.

What do you guys think?
Old 12-18-2007, 03:33 PM

Vista always works right correct? any BSOD while in vista ever? Has it randomly restarted the machine ever?

Could be you got ahold of some bad memory. As far as installing windows XP.. all of that loads into memory as well I believe until you are actually installing it. So If it is BSOD you before it actually starts installing it, I would say memory as well.

Just a question. Have you tried to use any other HDD to install XP to while in the machine? Just asking mostly because the Platters and heads could be working just fine, however the controller on the HDD could be getting funky (I have seen alot of really odd behavior out of drives where the printed circuitboard on the back is starting to give up)

But i would check the memory first, if you figure it is not a vista issue. Mainboard chipsets or drivers and such really do not play much of a role when you are installing a fresh copy of windows XP. You should always be able to install it, unles you have a memory issue.

(with the Ghost image I could see you having issues trying to install a ghost from one machine to another. The drivers windows XP has in it vs the ones needed would be different, and more than likely could cause problems.)
Old 12-18-2007, 03:37 PM

Hmmm. Any pattern to the blue screen error codes? Do they point in any specific direction or all over the place?

How much memory is installed? XP installs, even PE, can get batty especially with 2GB or more of RAM.

Just to be sure, if you haven't already, I'd run memtest. I've seen defective memory cause all sorts of inexplicable issues. On my latest build, I got one defective stick and Win XP x64 would work fine except for transferring video via firewire. XP 32bit would crash randomly with blue screen errors of all kinds.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:23 PM

I dropped down to 1GB got a blue screen. I was running 4GB 3.3gb in windows, 512mb vid card. 400GB SATA and trying to get my 500GB USB drive to work.

USB Thumb Drives works great even ready boost.
USB hard drives tried 2 does not. They saw as RAW under disk mgt. Under XP works fine.
Run PE gets bluescreen.

Talked to HP over an hour and wasted my cell mins trying to get a return and the lady kept saying unplug your usb drive yadayada.

So I"m about ready to ship this HP back and just stick with old PC and use this new 512mb ATI 1950 PRO in it. I"m tired of all of this.

I tried to use ghost to image vista to my usb drive. Ghost in dos sees my usb drive, but it locks up and gets error when it goes to write to it. Sounds like a MB/ controller issue since thats in DOS and not vista.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:48 PM

Vista sucks. UPDATE.

My usb drives kept showing as RAW in Disk MGT over and over. Well I tried to format it got an error. All it wanted was for me to assign a driver letter then it went from RAW to NTFS no format. So XP assigns a driver letter from some reason Vista dont! Vista will assign a driver letter to flash/thumb drives or memory card readers however!

Now if I can only get my raptor to work in that machine.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:04 PM

Go into your BIOS and look for an option that may be called something like, SATA Operation. It may be set to run using AHCI. If this is the case switch it run using ATA mode instead of AHCI and this should resolve your issue. Since the introduction of AHCI technology bluescreens are not uncommon with some hardware/OS configs. Even though Vista is supposed to support AHCI technology there have been failures. ATA mode should get you going again.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:57 AM

Mine was set to RAID. My options are RAID,AHCI,IDE. I have tried all 3. in RAID mode ghost reports bad sectors on my raptor, but not in the other two modes. The bios sees my raptor in all 3 modes.

I'm pretty sure your on the right track. If I put my bios on IDE mode SATA! Controller it will show SATA2 Controller on or off options. In AHCI or RAID the 2nd controller is not shown in the bios, but on the main screen all 6 sata ports report whats plugged in regardless if thats on or off.

I think I have tried all combinations and still not working yet.

Ghost must be having a bios conflict it can not see it. I did boot to vista and disk mgt did see it as raw. added a drive letter and it was trying to install a driver. But the AHCI intel driver is already installed. But vista keeps searching for something else.

So I think you have me on the right track. I'll see what I can do.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1193062

Put a vista image on my raptor using my old computer and put it back in my new computer. I thought I had it. First time trying to boot it said it could not find window.exe or something. Now it dont' give me no error. I was so close. I work 3rd so I been up all night and well resume working on this once I get some sleep. I don't see no reason why a ghost image from vista woudln't work. Drive is set to ACTIVE.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Coolformula View Post

I tried to use ghost to image vista to my usb drive. Ghost in dos sees my usb drive, but it locks up and gets error when it goes to write to it. Sounds like a MB/ controller issue since thats in DOS and not vista.
Just to point out. but really you do not have a "DOS" on your machine. they did away with DOS after windows 98 i thin if not before. Generally you are still under the XP or Vista software control... Only way out of that mess is to make an actual DOS bootdisk using MSDOS 6.22.

So Basically the prompt looks like dos... acts like dos.. but isn't really dos....
Old 12-20-2007, 04:18 PM

I use a PC-DOS/Ghost BOOT disk.

It tired to boot once on the raptor on the vista image and it gets error on windows/system32/winload.exe.

So I'm re-imaging again right now. I don't have the vista disc yet to reload it they didn't ship me one.

But at least i feel like i'm in the right direction to get this to work.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Coolformula View Post
I use a PC-DOS/Ghost BOOT disk.

It tired to boot once on the raptor on the vista image and it gets error on windows/system32/winload.exe.

So I'm re-imaging again right now. I don't have the vista disc yet to reload it they didn't ship me one.

But at least i feel like i'm in the right direction to get this to work.

Ahh ok.. One note.. I think HP and such use the same thing as Dell and sony does. They have a diagnostic partition on the system which also has an image of the system as installed. Thats why they generally do not ship the O/S with the system. because they technically did, as an image on the backup/diagnostic partition.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Very odd computer issue. See if you think this is a MB issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.