F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

Typical Diamond Rant

Old 05-13-2008, 12:08 PM

The Canadian ones are real.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

I guess it depends on what you mean by synthetic. Do you mean a fake diamond or a man made one?

My girl doesn't care, as long as it's a diamond. She won't go for the CZ stuff
Man made diamond. Her argument is if she's going to be wearing a ring for the rest of her life, she would like it to be a real diamond. She didn't have much in terms of an argument, but then again neither did I

To each his/her own
Old 05-13-2008, 12:12 PM

I guess it depends on what you mean by synthetic. Do you mean a fake diamond or a man made one?

My girl doesn't care, as long as it's a diamond. She won't go for the CZ stuff

Kraest posted something about a Man Made one is very close to a CZ one. A Man Made one won't test the same as a real diamond. So if she goes to a real diamond shop, they would be able to tell.

Can a jeweler tell the difference between a mined natural diamond and a Diamond Nexus Labs gemstone?
A competent jeweler under magnification can see that Diamond Nexus Labs...are not mined natural diamonds.

Will Diamond Nexus Labs gemstones test positive on a diamond tester, the kind a retail jewelry store would use?
No, they will not.

Read this post here to learn more:
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=47

Old 05-13-2008, 12:19 PM

But honestly what does it matter. Nobody can tell with the naked eye, and it's not like there is a performance difference between the two. It's not functional at all. A diamond is solely for looks and nothing more. Love cannot be purchased so I don't even want to get into how it's a symbol of love.

It's not like a fiero lambo kit car. (although I wouldn't turn one of those down if someone gave me one!) It's a friggen rock people.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:21 PM

This synthetic diamond crap is just making stuff even more confusing.

At first I read about the 'up and coming' synthetic diamonds coming out and that they couldn't be told apart in any way unless you have a special 100k dollar machine that DeBeers distributed specifically to stop synthetic diamonds from distributing undetected (to protect their monopoly).

But after WTF and MistressN posted all of the stuff bragging on Diamond Nexus Labs in that other thread, I did some reading and read that the synthetic diamonds coming from that place were of two different varieties... one some seriously cheap crap that could actually crack under pressure and be scratched, and some other stuff that they didn't sell much of that still was easily distinguished from a natural diamond by a jeweler, but at least closer in hardness and such.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by one wicked element View Post
Kraest posted something about a Man Made one is very close to a CZ one. A Man Made one won't test the same as a real diamond. So if she goes to a real diamond shop, they would be able to tell.

Can a jeweler tell the difference between a mined natural diamond and a Diamond Nexus Labs gemstone?
A competent jeweler under magnification can see that Diamond Nexus Labs...are not mined natural diamonds.

Will Diamond Nexus Labs gemstones test positive on a diamond tester, the kind a retail jewelry store would use?
No, they will not.

Read this post here to learn more:
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=47

Diamond Nexus labs are NOT real diamonds though. They even say on the site that they are "simulated" diamonds or diamond "clones". They are just being good salesmen

A company is now making real gemstone quality diamonds using CVD. They are compositionally identical to real diamonds because they are real diamonds.

HPHT diamond formation also creates real diamonds but AFAIK this has only been used for industrial diamonds.

It's only a matter of time before you see more and more man made but real diamonds on the market... and not just for jewelry!
Old 05-13-2008, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx View Post
This synthetic diamond crap is just making stuff even more confusing.
The problem is that there are companies selling simulated diamonds in such a manner as to fool people into thinking they're synthetic diamonds. Two completely different things.

I just looked into it and I see that they are also making gemstone quality diamonds via HPHT as well as CVD. There are only a couple of companies in the world that I've found are doing this. They aren't cheap, especially for a decent sized stone, but I'll bet they look fantastic compared to most natural diamonds.

It's not real clear to me how or if I could get a synthetic diamond to put in a setting of my choosing and what that would cost. At first glance it looked like availability was small and the setting choices were very limited.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:10 PM

Moissanite

Find out how much your girl cares about diamonds vs. synthetics. If she is cool with synthetics, I would personally go with Moissanite. Females in general always initially want a diamond. When they hear synthetic diamond they think of cubic zirconium. They do not find it a good substitute and neither do I. Diamond Nexus Labs are just fancy cubic zirconium with marketing. The closest simulant to a diamond is Moissanite. That is what I gave my fiancee. You can afford to get her whatever size stone she wants and it will be near flawless. There are many nice settings available for Moissanite as well. I personally went with a 2 carat round cut stone with a six prong platinum tiffany setting. She enjoys showing it off and no one can tell the diffference between it and a diamond.
Ultimately the choice is between you and your future Mrs. If all she wants is a diamond, then by all means get her a diamond but do your research and make sure she knows all the alternatives. The candian diamonds sound like a nice choice if you end up going the diamond route.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:59 PM

So is the favor of spending several thousands on a FRICKEN ROCK, returned by the female at some point during the marriage?
Old 05-13-2008, 04:06 PM

Biggest waste of money ever.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:17 PM

Diamond Nexus labs are NOT real diamonds though. They even say on the site that they are "simulated" diamonds or diamond "clones". They are just being good salesmen

A company is now making real gemstone quality diamonds using CVD. They are compositionally identical to real diamonds because they are real diamonds.

HPHT diamond formation also creates real diamonds but AFAIK this has only been used for industrial diamonds.

It's only a matter of time before you see more and more man made but real diamonds on the market... and not just for jewelry!
Yes, however, it is possible to tell the difference between the highest quality synthetics and mined diamonds.

Of course part of the reason they can do this is because on a microscopic level synthetics have a mechanical perfection that even high quality naturals do not.

Read that back in popular science or something a few years ago when this was just being talked about, so again, how that relates to what you can actually buy in the store... IDK.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:23 PM
dtp

Originally Posted by Mighty View Post
Biggest waste of money ever.

It just sucks that Debeers has been able to keep the prices inflated for so long. If the prices came down I bet we'd see more diamonds being used in more practical ways from a tool perspective.

Hmmm when I think about it, who needs them if synthetics would work...
Old 05-13-2008, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by T/A-Bob View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Canadian diamonds...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/diamonds/

They are real, but they don't have any of that nasty South Africa/slaves/DeBeers/terrorism karma...
doesnt debeers mix them in with the african diamonds so that no one can tell the dif
Old 05-13-2008, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by sc1twntrbo View Post
doesnt debeers mix them in with the african diamonds so that no one can tell the dif

As far as I know, the Canadian diamonds are completely "clean" with respect to the evil stuff DeBeers does. I think the Canadian ones have a tiny mark on them to indicate their origin. Gripenfelter might know about this. His wife is in the jewelry business.

There's no need to deal with anyone even associated with DeBeers, so I think it would be easy to avoid their influence.

EDIT:

From that link I posted earlier...

Canadian diamonds not only are clean, as in not being "dirty diamonds" or "blood diamonds," they are actually rather wholesome-looking, each etched with a speck of polar bear as a trademark. They're also fashionable, as when Canadian teen singer Avril Lavigne attended the MTV Awards in New York in 2003, wearing $50,000 worth of Canadian diamonds.

Last edited by T/A-Bob; 05-13-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D View Post
on a microscopic level synthetics have a mechanical perfection that even high quality naturals do not.
I like how you phrased that and that would be my understanding as well. At least you would assume that the potential for more perfect diamonds exist for synthetics.

From what I've been reading there are some issues with contaminants involved with manufacture of diamonds, especially the HPHT method. This might actually be a good thing as some of the world's priciest diamonds have colors from similar contaminants that can now be made to order.

Either way I don't think the synthetic diamonds are ever going to be super cheap considering the processes but if you can get a super high quality diamond without giving Debeers (or those damn Canadians ) money... why not? As long as it's a diamond, it's a diamond IMO.

Looking real quick at synthetic diamonds doesn't seem to show me that they are somehow cheap by any means.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Typical Diamond Rant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.