F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

Typical Diamond Rant

Old 05-13-2008, 12:31 AM

Typical Diamond Rant

Yeah, yeah, we all know how ridiculously overpriced these wonderful pieces of carbon are. I also hate and know the whole story of the diamond industry.

I'm checking into good diamonds at www.bluenile.com and it's still more than I'd like to pay for a stone... it may last longer than a good beer but I'm still cheap and selfish

Sometimes it sucks having good taste, or at least I'm telling myself that to justify her happiness. Are there other good places to get certified stones with classy settings?

I'm **** about so many things but I honestly can't tell the difference between an expensive stone and a cheap *** one unless I'm very carefully comparing two, side by side, freshly cleaned, rocks. Some of the cheaper ones look better than the pricey ones!

Any recommendations where the bang for the buck is between cost vs. appearance with regards to the C's? I'm not looking to spend a car's worth or a down payment on a house but I can afford to get something nice enough to show off. The biggest problem is that I know she likes trillions and a good setting with those also seems to be relegated to a platinum ring. All that adds up to the ring costing almost half the price of the diamond

What better place to ask about jewelry than a car geek website?
Old 05-13-2008, 12:35 AM

Go synthetic.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D View Post
Go synthetic.
You mean like cubic or like man-made diamonds?

I looked into the man-made stuff a while ago and while it holds promise, you were stuck with small stones put in very limited settings of their choosing. No loose stones sold. Has this changed?

If only I had the conscience to go with glass

I'm not in a rush but I wonder if waiting it out for the man-made stones is really going to work out for me.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:44 AM

Man made, I haven't really looked into it, no reason to. But it wouldn't suprise me if there wasn't a huge variety just yet because they haven't been totally accepted by the market yet.

But that's what I would do.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D View Post
Man made, I haven't really looked into it, no reason to. But it wouldn't suprise me if there wasn't a huge variety just yet because they haven't been totally accepted by the market yet.

But that's what I would do.
It's good in theory but I've only seen the one place that makes them on the east coast using CVD.

I don't think this is a real option yet but believe me, I'd love to be proven wrong.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:02 AM

Perhaps you could offer her just a band and see if she bites. Why on earth anyone thinks that they need a big honkin diamond to show off to their friends is beyond me . The whole desire for a diamond ring seems so vapid.

If you are really set on getting some princess cut perfect clarity V-1 blah blah stuff I would suggest seeing if you can track down a smaller local jewelry store. It's sometimes possible to get a deal from them but that would seem to be about it.

I'm seriously considering just getting a band for myself and my girlfriend when/if I propose.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by grossesexy View Post
Perhaps you could offer her just a band and see if she bites. Why on earth anyone thinks that they need a big honkin diamond to show off to their friends is beyond me . The whole desire for a diamond ring seems so vapid.
I'm with you but you know how it goes. She knows my rants on the whole diamond situation and sympathizes but obviously still has the desire. I understand as society has told women they need this and so they get giddy to have it. She honestly would accept something cheap and simple.

I refuse to blow any significant amount of cash but at the same time a few dollars to make her feel good is worth it. Considering my stance on this crap I think she would appreciate something "nice" even more but it isn't going to be extravagant. We need more useful things.

A <1 carat diamond in a tasteful band would probably be a good compromise between financial sense and social approval.

Maybe a Real Doll is a wiser investment?
Old 05-13-2008, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
I'm with you but you know how it goes. She knows my rants on the whole diamond situation and sympathizes but obviously still has the desire. I understand as society has told women they need this and so they get giddy to have it. She honestly would accept something cheap and simple.

I refuse to blow any significant amount of cash but at the same time a few dollars to make her feel good is worth it. Considering my stance on this crap I think she would appreciate something "nice" even more but it isn't going to be extravagant. We need more useful things.

A <1 carat diamond in a tasteful band would probably be a good compromise between financial sense and social approval.

Maybe a Real Doll is a wiser investment?
One of my best friends did a .85(around there) carat diamond in a fairly nice ring. It looks good without being overdone and gaudy.

I'd say it's your best route considering your situation.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:05 AM

My opinion and experience with diamonds. While you will save by going online... Get one in person. The stone I ended up picking was technically "less perfect" then others. But you know what? My stone looked better. The jeweler agreed(of course he did, but it did seem genuine and I am pretty good at picking off a used car salesman vibe). It was just a great cut for the stats on the diamond and looked great. I was **** as hell and I noticed flaws. I picked to matching saphires on jewelery. I wanted them to be the same color, weight, and cut. I also wanted the cuts to be perfect. I amazed the jewelers because they picked stones for me and I noticed imperfections, that they said 90% of the people never notice. I think I sat there for 45 minutes and picked through like 200-300 lose stones to pick the 2 I wanted.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
My opinion and experience with diamonds. While you will save by going online... Get one in person. The stone I ended up picking was technically "less perfect" then others. But you know what? My stone looked better. The jeweler agreed(of course he did, but it did seem genuine and I am pretty good at picking off a used car salesman vibe). It was just a great cut for the stats on the diamond and looked great. I was **** as hell and I noticed flaws. I picked to matching saphires on jewelery. I wanted them to be the same color, weight, and cut. I also wanted the cuts to be perfect. I amazed the jewelers because they picked stones for me and I noticed imperfections, that they said 90% of the people never notice. I think I sat there for 45 minutes and picked through like 200-300 lose stones to pick the 2 I wanted.
**** much?

I want to so a pic of that ring now.

Me and the wife agreed to spend under 1k on the set we bought. The extra money was used to exstend are honey moon 3 more nights.

Now that we make more money i asked her if she wanted to have a larger rock put in and she said no way.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:32 AM
dtp

When I think about it diamonds are like love. It's hard to prove/measure love scientifically and it's scientifically hard to prove why someone would **** away thousands on a rock. Looks like they go hand in hand to me.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by 97formula1234 View Post
**** much?
she BETTER give him all the **** he wants after he went to that much trouble
Old 05-13-2008, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by dtp View Post
When I think about it diamonds are like love. It's hard to prove/measure love scientifically and it's scientifically hard to prove why someone would **** away thousands on a rock. Looks like they go hand in hand to me.
That depends on what you call love. If you mean the initial stage that lasts anywhere from 2 months to 5 years that is proven pretty easily by hormone levels.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:32 AM

Give a woman a diamond and within a few years she closes her legs for good. I don't get it.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
Yeah, yeah, we all know how ridiculously overpriced these wonderful pieces of carbon are. I also hate and know the whole story of the diamond industry.

I'm checking into good diamonds at www.bluenile.com and it's still more than I'd like to pay for a stone... it may last longer than a good beer but I'm still cheap and selfish

Sometimes it sucks having good taste, or at least I'm telling myself that to justify her happiness. Are there other good places to get certified stones with classy settings?

I'm **** about so many things but I honestly can't tell the difference between an expensive stone and a cheap *** one unless I'm very carefully comparing two, side by side, freshly cleaned, rocks. Some of the cheaper ones look better than the pricey ones!

Any recommendations where the bang for the buck is between cost vs. appearance with regards to the C's? I'm not looking to spend a car's worth or a down payment on a house but I can afford to get something nice enough to show off. The biggest problem is that I know she likes trillions and a good setting with those also seems to be relegated to a platinum ring. All that adds up to the ring costing almost half the price of the diamond

What better place to ask about jewelry than a car geek website?
Quit bitching.

How much do you spend on cars and modding them? Diamonds are suppose to cost a lot. Sure, there are "fake Diamonds" ones out there you can get. They cost a lot so you can save up the money to make sure this is the person you want to be with, and not have an impulse buy.

That is why I feel the divorce rate is crazy now. Too many people can go into a store, fill out a credit app and get a diamond without any thought. Then, they decided they no longer want to be with that person.

Saving the money to afford it is to make sure YOU are ready for this step in life.

As for the "C's", there are a two more I need to add besides the default:
- Cost
- Commitment

You wouldn't just go buy a random car, would you? You would do a bit of reading before you do it. Same with a Diamond. You need to know what you're buying BEFORE you go into the store.

Diamond stores are just like Car dealers. They will do what ever they can to "put you into this diamond today". Hell, most will even go into the "back room" to talk to a manager.

Know what you need BEFORE you go in.

Read this until you can't read anymore:
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_edu...tion&elem=link

Good luck!

The ring I got:
1.12 Carat Center Stone (total ring is about 2.16)

SI-1 (Slight inclusions- they are there, but you can't see them with the naked eye).
- You want at least an SI. That way you can only only see what's inside with a microscope.

Color = F (hers is in the colorless range).
- I wouldn't get anything less then a G, or you can see yellow in the diamond, and that's no good.

Cut = Ideal Cut.
- You want a ring that sparkles. The better the cut, the better the diamond reflects the light - your "bling". Get at least a "Good Cut".

My cost of just the diamond = $5,700. Then it was a big more for the wedding set.

Yes, it's crazy to spend that much money. But it's worth it when you find the right girl, and that is what it is suppose to mean. Also, check out Jared. It really is a much better store then the other "used car lot" places.

Last edited by one wicked element; 05-13-2008 at 10:51 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Typical Diamond Rant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.