F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

Tips for racing on highway

Old 09-06-2011, 11:16 AM
S.E. Region Moderator

Re: Tips for racing on highway

T-r-a-c-k
Old 09-06-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by TedH View Post
I will say it:

I know that in some states there are many miles of long flat highway with nothing really a danger to anything or anyone. I also know that many, (if not most) of us here have put the pedal to the metal from time to time and lived to tell about it.

That said, going a hundred miles per hour or more is not safe anywhere, even the track, and to take that risk on a public road where crap can happen is not an intelligent way to implement an adrenaline rush.

A good friend of mine messed up his back and neck really bad after losing a front wheel at 105 at our local track a few years ago.

I was startled when my air filter came off and I ran over it at the top end one night in New Jersey.

I have seen too many things... Blown transmissions, flat tires, animals coming out of "no where" to risk my butt, or the life of anyone else to take it to the limit on a public road.

One night many years ago in Chicago I blew an oil gauge line and it sprayed onto my headers and the engine bay lit up. I had two passengers with me and no fire extinguisher. If it had not been for a friendly trucker who saw the flames shooting out from under my front wheels the outcome might have been rather tragic.

So I will be the "dick" and say Take it to the Track!
Ted, you are wise, and I think I understand the intended meaning of your precautionary statements.

But to that, the Europeans handle speed just fine, in cars much less robust than an F-Body, that can still achieve speeds well over 100mph. Therefore I think your overarching "speed kills" sermon needs a little (*) to note that you actually mean speed differentials kill. Just like the statement "guns kill," there's only a partial truth there and it's actually the idiot wielding the gun (or the car, in this case).... But truthfully, you are statistically safer going slightly over the speed limit than you are stopped, on the side of a freeway.

Also, in the event of fire, it's dangerous at any speed-- usually visual signs or smoke/smell are the first indicators of trouble.

Forgive me, I'm just tired of the whole "speeding war on America" when our cars have only gotten more capable yet our roads remain unchanged, and speed limits keep dropping (*Except in Texas). Really? There are many places in our country where there shouldn't be a speed limit, or it should be set to accomodate the travel of most modern cars which are capable of 80, 85mph or more.

Once again, Europeans are perfectly cool with it, and I don't understand why we, in "the land of the free" can't get that through our thick skulls.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8 View Post
Ted, you are wise, and I think I understand the intended meaning of your precautionary statements.

But to that, the Europeans handle speed just fine, in cars much less robust than an F-Body, that can still achieve speeds well over 100mph. Therefore I think your overarching "speed kills" sermon needs a little (*) to note that you actually mean speed differentials kill. Just like the statement "guns kill," there's only a partial truth there and it's actually the idiot wielding the gun (or the car, in this case).... But truthfully, you are statistically safer going slightly over the speed limit than you are stopped, on the side of a freeway.

Also, in the event of fire, it's dangerous at any speed-- usually visual signs or smoke/smell are the first indicators of trouble.

Forgive me, I'm just tired of the whole "speeding war on America" when our cars have only gotten more capable yet our roads remain unchanged, and speed limits keep dropping (*Except in Texas). Really? There are many places in our country where there shouldn't be a speed limit, or it should be set to accomodate the travel of most modern cars which are capable of 80, 85mph or more.

Once again, Europeans are perfectly cool with it, and I don't understand why we, in "the land of the free" can't get that through our thick skulls.
Yep. I read in Hot rod quite a few years ago that when they put up speed limits in Montana, highway deaths increaced.

This is not true for everybody, but when are you paying much closer attention, when speeding along or tooling along at the speed limit with everyone else? I, myself, am paying much better attention when I'm speeding, but that doesn't mean that the increased speed is safer.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by James Krawcion View Post
$20 says it's not the clutch but the driver shifting into 2nd instead of 4th.
And if I had money buddy ud be gettin my $20. The car has a racer shifter so everything is really close. I met with the previous owner and he told me what my problem was. I feel dumb but glad that's all it was! Thanks
Old 09-14-2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ironchest87 View Post
And if I had money buddy ud be gettin my $20. The car has a racer shifter so everything is really close. I met with the previous owner and he told me what my problem was. I feel dumb but glad that's all it was! Thanks
6th gear?