Go Back  CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
NOT something you want to see in the middle of a flight... >

NOT something you want to see in the middle of a flight...

F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

NOT something you want to see in the middle of a flight...

Old 07-14-2009, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by JP95ZM6 View Post
Huh, this guy's head just popped into me.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:06 PM

Not really sure on what you are arguing, but most aircraft are pressureized by the engines.

The front section of the turbines suck in air, compress it, then before it is compressed too much and fuel is added and ignited, there are "bleed air" valves. Basically the compressed air is run into the plane, used to operate some pnuematically operated systems, then the air is treated and pretty much pumped into the passenger cabin. Then usually towards the aft of the plane, there is a "controled outflow valve" to control how much pressure is in the plane.

Basically compressed air is pumped into the plane, then its let out in a controled fashion to control the air pressurization in an aircraft. So air is consistantly runing through the aircraft. If the plane was sealed up and you kept pumping that air in, you would run into this.

Also ~10,000 feet is when hypoxia kicks in peopel pass out and the oxygen masks drop.

(Military, pressurization check messed up all safety valves were bypassed, and yes this was done on the ground.)

I see you guys arguing space, you can't get any more low pressure then a vacuum(space), I imagine a space decompression being more violent. Either way I don't want to experience either... You have to be careful with decompression its like a ballon, it can "pop" and rip the tail off a plane, or you can get lucky and just get a hole and lets the "balloon" deflate more controlled and less violently.

Last edited by MustangEater82; 07-14-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:43 AM

That's like an 8 psi pressure differential. That could definitely mess things up.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:04 AM

I've flown on air force planes before, and was talking to a guy who has been on a flight crew for over 20+ years. Said the only thing that ever happened was that they lost cabin pressure once. He didn't make it seem like a big deal, but I would have crapped myself!