CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   F-body Lounge (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/f-body-lounge-24/)
-   -   Nitrogen in tires? Anyone know anything about it? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/f-body-lounge-24/nitrogen-tires-anyone-know-anything-about-442926/)

Carpe Diem 04-06-2006 05:51 AM

Nitrogen in tires? Anyone know anything about it?

I was flipping through the channels, insomnia in full force, and caught the tail end of some news bit stating that there were some service stations that were filling up customers tires with nitrogen.

Anyone hear of this before? or had experience with it? The news fella said that it added 3-4mpg???? Sounds rediculous.

I googled it and found that it helps preserve the tire, and helps keep it at a more stable pressure, closer to spec. I guess that could help in gas mileage, but I dunno.

Brandon_Lutz 04-06-2006 07:21 AM

Re: Nitrogen in tires? Anyone know anything about it?

I know in most autosports, teams use nitrogen in their tires because it gives a more stable pressure, and is not affected by outside influences at much. I.E. Humidity in the air.

It provides a more constant and predictable tire pressure, and this helps the teams make pressure adjustments precisely, without having to worry about it being inconsistent.

As far as better mileage, I have no idea. A wide factor of things goes into determining your mileage.

BlkLT1Z28 04-06-2006 07:32 AM

Its mainly used in racing b/c as a tire heats up and then gets cold and back and forth through its cycles the nitrogen will not produce any moisture and also keep the tire pressure more accurate and consistent.

About the mpg??? Probly not but I might be wrong.

jawzforlife 04-06-2006 07:34 AM

I heard the same thing on the news a few weeks ago

kick Z tail out 04-06-2006 07:36 AM

It's good because if the T1000 tries to kill your mom, and blows out one of your tires in a volley of fire from his MP5K, he will freeze and be unable to move... which will allow you to fire the last round from your 1911 to shatter his ass.

Johnny Ray 04-06-2006 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by BlkLT1Z28
Its mainly used in racing b/c as a tire heats up and then gets cold and back and forth through its cycles the nitrogen will not produce any moisture and also keep the tire pressure more accurate and consistent.

About the mpg??? Probly not but I might be wrong.

We used nitrogen in the 70's and 80's when we were racing.

I beleive just about everyone else was using it also.

:cool:

BlkLT1Z28 04-06-2006 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Ray
We used nitrogen in the 70's and 80's when we were racing.

I beleive just about everyone else was using it also.

:cool:

We still use it in our 355/360 challenge cars as well as the 333sp's

JakeRobb 04-06-2006 08:08 AM

Having your tires inflated to the proper pressure does improve gas mileage relative to having them underinflated or overinflated. The amount of improvement is going to vary depending on about a hundred other factors. 3-4mpg is a best-case estimate, probably compared to driving on tires with no air in them at all.

Atmospheric air is like 78% nitrogen anyway. No big deal here.

coogsLS1 04-06-2006 08:56 AM

when I worked for advance auto, we started filling our delivery trucks up w/nitrogen, overall saved the company a bunch of money per this newsletter thing for employees...

longer tire life and slight better over mpg, worth it in the long run for a company trying to make money/save money on every possible front

formulaofsuccess 04-06-2006 09:03 AM

i use helium because it makes the tires lighter. that increases fuel mileage and acceleration ;) :p

formulaofsuccess 04-06-2006 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by robvas
Doesn't it leak faster because the molecues are smaller?

i use gorilla glue on the beads and valve stems :p

Zack 04-06-2006 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by robvas
3-4 mpg from nitrogen tires
2-3 mpg from fuel system cleaner
3 mpg from royal purple oil
2 mpg from K&N air filter
3 mpg from performance exhuast
2 mpg from a magnet on your fuel line
3 mpg from a net instead of a tailgat

50mpg mother ****ers

no tornado?! :o