F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

Need some advice... (Job Offers)

Old 11-20-2011, 01:01 PM

Need some advice... (Job Offers)

Im a junior at Northeastern University majoring in mechanical engineering. I am about to go on my last 6 month co-op this coming spring. In September, I noticed that Tesla Motors www.teslamotors.com was looking to hire a few interns. I applied on their website, and a week or so later, I got an email from the HR lady to set up a phone interview. Long story short, after two months of phone interviews and emails with different people in the company, the offered me the job last week. Great news right?

Well, I had also recieved an offer from Bose in their Noise cancelling headphone unit. I was not super interested in Bose but the job still seems like it would be pretty cool. My deadline to let Bose know was end of the day wednesday, and the HR lady at Tesla told me the two people I still needed to interview with would not be able to speak with me until right before thanksgiving because they were travelling. Discouraged and not wanting to risk it, I sent the HR lady at Bose an email saying i would accept the offer.

15 minutes after I sent the letter, I got a call from the Director of engineering at Tesla who had just landed in Germany and had heard about my situation. Then later that night, i spoke with the head of the battery development unit. Thursday night, Tesla offered me the job.

I'm sure most of you know where this is going. Anyone ever been in this position before? Is there any way for me to back out of Bose without burning any bridges? The guy I interviewed with at Bose was really laid back and cool, and he was also into cars, so I was thinking of calling him and asking him what he thought. Help guys.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Lounge Moderator

Re: Need some advice... (Job Offers)

It sounds like Tesla is the opportunity you're more interested in.

There's no bridge-burning -- just explain to the Bose guy that you got offered a better opportunity and say that you really enjoyed meeting him and learning more about their company. I'd be tempted to even say something like,"Who knows? Maybe our companies will team up and make great things happen. I sincerely wish you all the best."
Old 11-20-2011, 01:24 PM
dtp

I'd go with Tesla too vs Bose. I think you'd learn more practical skills for the future there vs Bose. I don't recall ever having bad feelings towards anyone who turned us down back in my team lead days, so I'd think Bose would be the same.

I think as long as you didn't sign/fax a formal offer you would be ok. I doubt an email is a legal binding agreement. As Shock says, explain the situation.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Lounge Moderator

Yeah different situation if you signed something.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:29 PM

forgot to mention that. I have not signed or sent anything yet. Just emailed the HR lady and said "I will accept your offer of employment"
Old 11-20-2011, 02:12 PM

You're not going to be the first to back out of a job offer, or the last. We had an ME intern back out on us this past summer, except he waited until late May to tell us (we hired him in March or so). That guy definitely burned a bridge, but if you let Bose know ASAP, it shouldn't be a big deal.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:20 PM

I would go with whichever opportunity is more in line with the position you hope to land once you graduate.

One of my co-workers, graduated from Purdue last year, interned with Bose the previous year.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:40 PM

Explain the situation and thank them for their offer. Do it ASAP. Be as nice as possible and quick.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Koz

Yup, they'll understand and won't give you any problem. But let them know ASAP as a courtesy, because they'll have people (HR, management, etc) working on getting ready to bring you onboard. Good luck at Tesla! Where is the job located?

oh, but don't call and "ask what he thinks". Call and tell him what you want to do. It's your choice, no one's else.

Last edited by Koz; 11-20-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:48 PM

Maybe you can work for Tesla and actually help them produce a car on time and doesn't cost $60,000. Endless promises from Tesla with little delivery, yet they keep getting financed. If you work for Tesla, have some backup opportunities waiting.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:28 PM

my thoughts are bose -> more stability, tesla -> possibly more coolness, but i'd be concerned about any long term prospects. at the same time, my experience with engineering jobs even with 'stable' companies is that there is no stability, at least in the electronics / semicon engineering jobs.

i'd also hit up glassdoor and see if there's anything out there involving your prospects. at this point, i'd do what you want, not what seems slightly more moral. i'm about sleeping well at night, but i doubt bose has already turned loose their other offers if you back out.

looking at the companies globally, i'd say they're both cool in their own regard, however you could get stuck doing a crap job at even the coolest, most creative company (if that's what you're looking for). i could see either as offering jobs ranging from hyper cool to uber boring. so what do the particular job functions offer, and which best suits you?
Old 11-20-2011, 05:00 PM

I'm just here to congratulate you on receiving two pretty cool opportunities, regardless of which one you take. Just shows that if you study hard and work to gain internships, opportunities are out there.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:55 PM

From talking with the people at Tesla, It sounds like there is more work to go around than people, which is what i am looking for. I want to be busy. I don't see Tesla suddenly going down the ****ter in the next 6 months so im not worried about that. This thread is not trying to help me decide which job to take, its more I WANT Tesla, but i don't want to **** over Bose.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:56 PM

also anyone in the bay area need a roommate haha