Go Back  CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
need to glue/repair plastic, but this glue says not to use >

need to glue/repair plastic, but this glue says not to use

F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:46 AM

At work, an arm broke pad off one off our chairs. It should be an easy fix with some glue. So I went to the store and got this

On the front is says "Glues together, Whatever bonds together"

but on the back in small print, which I didn't see until I got back to work.. it says "not recommended for use on polystyrene or polypropylene plastics.

I did a little search, and looks like those type of plastics are the most common household plastics (which i assume the chars arm is made out of). What kind of luck will i have on using this glue on plastic?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:06 AM

I think that warning is put on there because some of the chemicals in that particular type of glue can sometimes melt plastic
Old 03-11-2008, 08:02 PM

i think u would be better off using an appropriate epoxy.......sets up faster and stronger
Old 03-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Classic Tech Moderator

Your chair is definitely not polystyrene (egg containers, packaging foam) and is very unlikely that it's polypropylene (food containers, plastic cups, plastic cutlery, car battery housings). I wouldn't hesitate to use it.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:28 PM

Go ahead, what's the worse that could happen?

The glue create some kind of wierd chemical reaction and release poison gas I guess...
Old 03-11-2008, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Your chair is definitely not polystyrene (egg containers, packaging foam) and is very unlikely that it's polypropylene (food containers, plastic cups, plastic cutlery, car battery housings). I wouldn't hesitate to use it.
Well, I agree that it's not polystyrene (which is rather weak and brittle - it's what plastic models are molded of), but there's a very good chance that it is indeed polypropylene. When blended with the right filler (such as talc or glass fibers), polypro is tough, strong, and cheap - ideal for all sorts of consumer applications. We use a lot of it at work for structural automotive components that don't require the high-temperature properties of nylon.

The problem with something like Goop is that it can't chemically bond to polypro, so the only bond will be mechanical - and Goop doesn't form an exceptionally strong mechanical bond. The best bet would be to use an epoxy with a long set-up time (as the so-called "five minute" epoxies aren't very strong), and make sure to roughen up all the surfaces with coarse sandpaper or a rasp. Odds are, though, that the bond will not be satisfactory without some sort of mechanical reinforcement (rods, plates and screws, a wrap with fiberglass cloth, or something similar).
Old 03-11-2008, 08:54 PM

Polypro is slippery, and pretty solvent resistant. Thus it can't be glued or solvent welded very easily. Either weld it (heat to melt and mash together) or try to drill and pin it like a busted legbone.

It only has to hold together long enough to swap it for somebody else's chair, after all....

Edit: Hot melt glue is a decent compromise, too. Use the hard/extra high melt stuff.

Last edited by JP95ZM6; 03-11-2008 at 08:57 PM.