F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

Maserati Cambiocorsa

Old 02-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Banned

Maserati Cambiocorsa

I am tossing around the idea of getting one. Does anyone have any feedback on these cars? They look rather complex and if something does go wrong it will be expensive to fix. That looks like the main downside.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:35 AM

Re: Maserati Cambiocorsa

Looks nice, but I know absolutely nothing about them.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:37 AM

How much?
My sisters BF has a Maserati, and they both have nothing but good to say about it, but I can't remember what year or anything, it's pretty new though I know that.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:39 AM

They use a Ferrari engine (also looks like the Ferrari F1 paddle shift single clutch AMT in the pic you posted).

Probably sounds sexy as hell (and looks sexy too), but I'd be frightened of maintenance costs.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 AM

problem with any high end and most foreign car, yes they are more reliable because they are built that way but when things go wrong, even little things it is IMPOSSIBLE for the owner to fix them no matter how savy a mechanic they are because you need certrain tools/computers for EVERY little thing
Old 02-18-2012, 10:50 AM

I was going to buy one in 2008, really cheap cars (low to mid $20k). I test drove a few in Orlando, really boring car to drive and the maintenance records showed close to $10k in maintenance a year.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:15 AM

I hear the same, boring to drive.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:28 AM

That trans sucks ... The engine is good, timing chain is better then having the belt setup like the older ferrari v8s, that saves on some crazy labor rates , parts cost is still really high ....they sound good with some exhaust work ....cheap Italian cars do not exist
Old 02-18-2012, 11:50 AM

i would say in that range if your looking at getting something a little different than others, g37s
Old 02-18-2012, 11:53 AM

FWIW I work with a guy he had and has some money but is very down to earth. He had owned a maserati, some ferraris, etc... He became a Porsche guy. He ways they are all great cars but the maintain costs were just stupid and a pain in the ***. The Porsches weren't the best of them.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:17 PM

Avoid the semi-auto ones. Those were some of the first F1 shift cars and they show in the maintenance and sloppyness. If you really want one find a manual one.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by King Moose SS View Post
Avoid the semi-auto ones. Those were some of the first F1 shift cars and they show in the maintenance and sloppyness. If you really want one find a manual one.
This is going to be a daily driver car so I want an auto. I only want manuals in my fun/sports cars.

The transmission is my main concern about the car. It looks very expensive to fix.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Expo99 View Post
This is going to be a daily driver car.
you would be one of very few people i know who would make that statement about a maserati

i think you know my opinion of most recent maserattis from an earlier thread, but at least this one seems to be significantly less piggish than the gran tourismo. nevertheless, it has all the styling queues that i dislike.

on the flip side, the engine sounds as cool as any ferrari.

if you want a maseratti just to say 'i have a maseratti', go for it. else, i'd go the aston martin or panamera route if i were going for that sort of GT car. if going for a euro sports car, i'd have to go 996 or 997.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:07 PM

I think the quattroporte looks alot cooler, with the four doors it looks badass!

but I was next to one of those cambios of that generation, and it didnt even give me a run for my money on a lightly modded lt1....

heres a little info:

The model utilizes the shared platform based Ferrari/Maserati 4244 cc engine which develops 390 PS (287 kW; 385 hp) at 7000 rpm with a peak torque of 450 Nm (332 lbft) at 4500 rpm.

Significant changes from the prior 3200 GT engine were the larger displacement resulting from an increased cylinder bore diameter and the move to a naturally aspirated intake that replaced the twin-turbo approach Maserati had used for the previous 20 years, fundamentally because the powertrain is now Ferrari based. The engine operates at a compression ratio of 11.1:1 with the cylinders configured in a 90 V8. The cylinder bore diameter is 92 millimetres (3.62 in) and piston stroke length is 80 millimetres (3.15 in). The engine shares many of the design features of modern racing engines, including dry sump lubrication, a pump assembly located outside the crankcase, and four valves per cylinder. The 32-valve DOHC utilizes chain-driven, twin-overhead camshafts that provide valve actuation in less than 0.15 seconds, with the intake cams being controlled by variable valve timing. The crankcase and cylinder heads are made from an aluminum and silicon alloy, giving the engine a relatively light weight of 405 pounds (184 kg).

The manual transmission is a six-speed that was available either as a GT (manual stick shift) or CC (Cambiocorsa) using paddle shifters. The GT version utilizes a foot operated clutch, whereas the Cambiocorsa (Italian, meaning "race change") is a electrohydraulic manual transmission that uses a Formula One-type gearbox with hydraulic operation and electronic management operated by F1-style paddles behind the steering wheel, similar to the system used in Ferrari vehicles. The system allows the driver to choose between four different operating modes: Normal, Sport, Auto and Low Grip. Each of these programs is selected by means of console-mounted buttons, corresponding to different types of operating mode. By switching between the Normal and Sport modes, the driver can select between different electronic stability control settings and, if installed, different active suspension settings. The Normal mode provides a more comfortable ride, whereas the Sport mode stiffens up the suspension and provides fast gear shifts of around a quarter of a second. Automatic mode electronically handles shifting of the transmission, but allows the driver to rapidly revert to manual using the F1-style paddles. The Low Grip, or Ice mode, allows for smooth starting and gear changes on snow and ice.

The transmission gearbox is located at the rear of the vehicle and is integrated in with the differential. This gives both the Coup and Spyder a 48/52% weight distribution between the front and rear axles.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:25 PM

The rear makes it look like a Honda Prelude.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maserati Cambiocorsa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.