LS1 Buying Question - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

Go Back  CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
LS1 Buying Question >

LS1 Buying Question

F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

LS1 Buying Question

Old 05-23-2014, 07:08 PM

LS1 Buying Question

Well I thought I would post here because I wouldn't know where else to. I apologize ahead of time if I'm in the wrong forum.

So I found a good deal on a 1998 Z28 with a built LS1. I'm just trying to gauge the price range on LS1's and see what someone with greater knowledge than myself thinks about this car. I've only ever owned an LT1

here's part of the ad..

-double roller timing chain
-SLP heavy duty oil pump
-Manley hardened push rods
-Patriot Performance LS6 (243) ported cylinder heads
-New Era performance Streetsweeper custom grind camshaft
-Cometic Head gaskets
-Yella Terra roller rocker arms
-ARP head bolts
-BBK 85MM throttle body and Intake manifold
-Pacesetter Ceramic coated long tube headers
-SLP Loud Mouth 2 cat back exhaust
-SLP mass air flow sensor
-SLP air lid with K&N filter
-Ram air box

-Transmission

-TCI streetfighter 3000 Stall torque converter
-shift kit
-hardened sun shell
-upgraded performance clutches
-32k gvw transmission cooler
-Mobil 1 synthetic ATF fluid

-Suspension
-UMI rear lower control arms (greaseable with poly bushings)
-UMI panhard bar (greaseable with poly bushings)
-Spohn weld in frame connectors
-Spohn non adjustable torque arm (-2 degrees pinion angle with poly mount)
-Spohn strut tower brace

-Rear End
-3.73 gears with Royal Purple fluid

So currently the car has 106k on it, and all the work was done in the 94-96,000 range. He claims the car makes over 400 HP to the wheels.
The cam duration is over 220 degrees at both intake and exhaust and the lift is over 580 on both sides. The guy was a GM tech for a while as well so he seems to know what he's doing. Sounds to me like he built a monster.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Or maybe some particular questions I should ask. I apologize if I wasted anyone's time here in the lounge.

Also he's asking 6k for the car.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:15 PM

Re: LS1 Buying Question

I don't know how to post a message I guess on a forum and have alot of problems right now. He's what my post would say.

Hi. I need a little HELP!! My husband was going to replace the water pump in my 1994 Camaro Z28 5.7 and the water pump crank pulley broke that is mounted to the block. In order to fix it he was told that the optispark timing chain cover and timing chain had to be removed to replace that part. Now I need to know I need to know EVERYTHING that I need to purchase in order to put it all back together, he is also having difficulty finding the water pump shaft at the local auto parts store. This is my only form of transportation. Please HELP ME!! I have to buy everything asap, and I'm on a fixed income. I need a list of parts and any suggestions on how he needs to go about putting everything back together. I SO appreciate your help
Old 05-25-2014, 05:43 PM
Administrator

The tech forums are the best place to elicit responses from folks who have experience and skills in resolving technical questions.

Vehicles that are significantly modified should, in my opinion, be thoroughly gone over by an experienced technician. The car sounds like a good price, but the question is the details of how modifications were made and the type of treatment the car has had.

As far as opti sparks, the mechanics are not difficult, but the details are absolutely critical... The year of the vehicle makes a difference, and some of the off brand opti replacements are known to have issues. The opti spark needs to be dry and well sealed and the water pump... Water pumps pump water so care must be taken during installation.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:53 PM

sounds like a good deal if a shade tree mechanic didn't rebuild the trans. I just don't prefer synthetic trans fluid. I found best results using quality farm hydrolic fluid

bought my car with 145k mile hard top no mods .. t rex cam 2.73 gears 28' wheels it made 371 rwhp and 393.9 ftlbs ... then the trans started acting funny it went a 10.70 with a slipping trans at 124 mph on a 150 wet harris speed plate
Old 05-26-2014, 02:42 AM

I appreciate the input guys. And I agree, as long as it's built right it seems like a good deal. Hopefully I get a chance to thoroughly inspect everything if I do plan on making an offer on the car.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by carriebolton View Post
I don't know how to post a message I guess on a forum and have alot of problems right now. He's what my post would say.

Hi. I need a little HELP!! My husband was going to replace the water pump in my 1994 Camaro Z28 5.7 and the water pump crank pulley broke that is mounted to the block. In order to fix it he was told that the optispark timing chain cover and timing chain had to be removed to replace that part. Now I need to know I need to know EVERYTHING that I need to purchase in order to put it all back together, he is also having difficulty finding the water pump shaft at the local auto parts store. This is my only form of transportation. Please HELP ME!! I have to buy everything asap, and I'm on a fixed income. I need a list of parts and any suggestions on how he needs to go about putting everything back together. I SO appreciate your help
Found your post in the "5th Gen" section, and moved it to the correct location - "LT1 Based Engine Tech". Click on the link below:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...nfused-879451/
Old 06-02-2014, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Buying a modded car is always a crapshoot, but if everything is in working order, that's more than a fair price.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mr99SS View Post
sounds like a good deal if a shade tree mechanic didn't rebuild the trans. I just don't prefer synthetic trans fluid. I found best results using quality farm hydrolic fluid

bought my car with 145k mile hard top no mods .. t rex cam 2.73 gears 28' wheels it made 371 rwhp and 393.9 ftlbs ... then the trans started acting funny it went a 10.70 with a slipping trans at 124 mph on a 150 wet harris speed plate
Old 06-22-2014, 01:47 AM

Run don't walk away.The person who is selling the car,has gotten the thrill of it and you are going to have to replace the engine soon.I don't anybody who builds an engine up without overhauling it.$$$$$$$$$$My02
Old 07-28-2014, 09:08 PM

Thats really really cheap it seems. In my area they go for a lot more 8-12k. So if it will run for 6k even if you have to rebuild the trans, not that bad of a deal IMHO.

Just check it out and get a feel for the guy selling it and more of the history, make sure it was not 100% track car.