The last time I logged in... - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

Like Tree4Likes

Old 08-25-2015, 05:20 AM   #1

Post The last time I logged in...

... it had been a decade since I joined these boards, thanks to my buddy mr00jimbo

... I Googled "F-Body Lounge DWray kick z tail out mike94zlt1" and a bunch of other names that I remembered to find a thread with my username in it to copy+paste it

... I had just moved to Korea and was looking to buy a Camaro but at the time, duty was 50% and a V6 RS cost $60k+

... Johnny Ray welcomed me back.. RIP

This time around I'm about to hit 30 and I'm feeling hella nostalgic. These smilies haven't changed since I was 15 years old...

Thanks Chris and Jason for making a a forum I literally grew up on.

Last edited by [z_SRPrT]; 08-29-2015 at 04:30 AM.
[z_SRPrT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Re: The last time I logged in...

Hi! I joined in '05 and don't recognize your name. Nice to meet you, and welcome back!

DWray and most of the rest of the "lounge rats" have moved on. For a while they were posting on an alternate site called threxx28.com; not sure if that's still a thing. I'm friends with many of them on Facebook though.

Dustin (DWray) was on this year's American Ninja Warrior (didn't make it past qualifying, but was on TV for a few seconds), and got married to an awesome girl shortly afterward.

I haven't heard from Nate (kick z tail out) in years. He was injured somehow and moved from being a cop to some kind of private security, but that was years ago. I'd love to know what he's up to.

Mike (mike94zlt1) is a Facebook friend as well. He has a successful home theater installation business in the Detroit area now.

Johnny Ray, as you apparently know, passed away last year, right after a relaxing evening ride on his motorcycle, so I'm sure he died happy. RIP

Not sure if you remember her, but Jenny (FirehawkJen) also passed away a couple years ago after a lengthy health battle. RIP

Chris and Jason sold this site to Internet Brands (same guys that run LS1Tech and many other forums), and now run a podcast called The Camaro Show, as well as a YouTube show called Beers and Gears. Or is it Gears and Beers? I can never remember. They both still post here occasionally as well.

The Internet Brands takeover had some technical hurdles that destroyed page load times here for a few weeks straight, and most of the active members left at that time and haven't come back.
JakeRobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:20 AM   #3

Hi there! Nice to meet you too!
Thanks for the updates. Sad to hear most of the older members moved on and yeah I read about Jenny.. RIP..
Great to hear Dustin and Mike are doin well!
Anyways, I probably won't be back to the forums for another few years haha, but it was a nice trip down memory lane. Thanks again for the updates and the welcome back

PS. Nice 13 second GN there in your sig
[z_SRPrT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Thanks. And while I haven't had the GN to the track yet, I'm sure it runs 12s now.
JakeRobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:54 AM   #5
Administrator

Ahhhh...the memories.
ChrisFrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:52 PM   #6

Crazy to think I joined this forum almost 15 years ago. Around the 2002-2010 timeframe it was really the happening place. It was my first forum, and I have a lot of memories here.

It is depressing to see how all the internet forums are dying...the current state of this one is especially depressing. Props to Jason and Frezza though. With Facebook, they picked the perfect time to move on from forums.
formula79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeRobb View Post
Hi! I joined in '05 and don't recognize your name. Nice to meet you, and welcome back!

DWray and most of the rest of the "lounge rats" have moved on. For a while they were posting on an alternate site called threxx28.com; not sure if that's still a thing. I'm friends with many of them on Facebook though.

Dustin (DWray) was on this year's American Ninja Warrior (didn't make it past qualifying, but was on TV for a few seconds), and got married to an awesome girl shortly afterward.

I haven't heard from Nate (kick z tail out) in years. He was injured somehow and moved from being a cop to some kind of private security, but that was years ago. I'd love to know what he's up to.

Mike (mike94zlt1) is a Facebook friend as well. He has a successful home theater installation business in the Detroit area now.

Johnny Ray, as you apparently know, passed away last year, right after a relaxing evening ride on his motorcycle, so I'm sure he died happy. RIP

Not sure if you remember her, but Jenny (FirehawkJen) also passed away a couple years ago after a lengthy health battle. RIP

Chris and Jason sold this site to Internet Brands (same guys that run LS1Tech and many other forums), and now run a podcast called The Camaro Show, as well as a YouTube show called Beers and Gears. Or is it Gears and Beers? I can never remember. They both still post here occasionally as well.

The Internet Brands takeover had some technical hurdles that destroyed page load times here for a few weeks straight, and most of the active members left at that time and haven't come back.
Yep, it's still a thing...for reference compared to here the oldest post on the 1st page of the lounge was a noon today versus 6 months ago on here. Cheers.
johnny6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:52 PM   #8

30 isn't old enough to feel nostalgic bud.
scooters97ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Riiight. The page load times are what ran everyone off...
DonHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHood View Post
johnny6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHood View Post
And this site is STILL one of the slowest that I have ever seen. There are a few of us struggling to keep the site alive, at least for tech for the LT1 owners. It's very frustrating for everyone. The time it takes to load the infinite number of advertisements is horrible. I'm not sure how much longer the site can hold on.
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:15 AM   #12

Quote:

Yep, our site is still exactly the same as when we all left in 2012. Minus having to ban a couple people (one of which wouldn't surprise anyone here).

It's still a bit sad to come back here, a lot of us practically grew up on this site, but it's barely a shell of what it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
And this site is STILL one of the slowest that I have ever seen. There are a few of us struggling to keep the site alive, at least for tech for the LT1 owners. It's very frustrating for everyone. The time it takes to load the infinite number of advertisements is horrible. I'm not sure how much longer the site can hold on.
To quote Frozen (sorry, I have two girls): "Let it go, let it goooooooooo".
Camride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
While I can appreciate a man sticking with it through thick and thin, I think Camride is right. This place is a ghost town, and it's not going to get any better.

When I lurked prior to joining, and even for some time after I joined, people were still building a playing around with LT1's. LS motors were out, but were still overshadowed by the LT1 crowd. If you did see LS cars out at the track or street, they were usually just bolt on only, and every now and then a cammed one. Everyone and their brother was buying an LT1 and, with the savings over an LS car, were building and modding some beasts.

Then, the LS aftermarket took off, and sites like LS1tech took off, and people slowly sold off their LT1's, myself included. Nowhere I go now has any LT1's. Hell, I don't even see them on the street, hardly. It's just too cheap and easy to build LS motors, and have more power and driveability, better fuel mileage, and newer platform with ENORMOUS aftermarket.

This site was always the best place to find LT1 info, because I don't think anyone would disagree that this was, and always has been an LT1 board. Problem is, nobody really needs that anymore. The majority of them are in the garages of holdouts who never sold them (like yourself), or picked up by kids for dirt cheap from their buddies cousin who's the 10th owner and neglected it for years, or in junkyards.

Maybe, years down the road, when people start restoring LT1 cars and actually want to fix them up with the correct engine in them, then a place like this and people knowledgable about them will be invaluable. Unfortunately now isn't that time.
DonHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:50 AM   #14
Super Moderator

You might want to look over the tech forums to see how active the LT1 topic still is. Hell, Tony Shepherd just asked me to post his latest LT1 personal best.... 8.45 @ 161.57 mph 1.29 60ft.

I don't have some perverted love for the LT1, but I have a knowledge base that shouldn't go to waste. Sure, most of the people who come here for help are people with clapped out cars that have seen better days. Many of them can hardly speak English. But why deny them the knowledge that some of us have. Look at GaryDoug.... newer member, but he's written the best LT1 scanning software ever, and it's free. Shoebox is still in the game. I get personal satisfaction helping people sort out their LT1 problems. When someone from the Ukraine comes here looking for help, and gets it, I feel good.

I just wish that someone else would care about the site. The person Chris and Jason chose as their Administrator hasn't been on the site for 10 months. There's a 6th Gen coming out and we still have only a 5th Gen forum. Hardly anyone ever used the 5th Gen forums. LS1 forum is dead. V6 forum is dead. I have to apologize to people in the "new member" forum who come looking for help on 1st and 2nd Gens. They aren't going to find it.
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #15

Wow...oddly enough, I clicked in here because I hadn't logged on in well, forever. My last visit here was March of 2012. Whew. I'm now 39, trying to prolong turning 40 as long as possible. Still got the Z and driving her pretty regularly.

Injuneer: I don't know you personally, but I do remember you helping me quite often with tech problems I ran into. I'm grateful for it! Thank you!

Didn't know about Johnny Ray. He was always so kind to everyone, and was first to wish out birthdays.

I feel like I grew up here too. I joined 16 years go.
Jon97Z is offline   Reply With Quote