F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

If this isn't karma, I dont know what is.

Old 05-17-2005, 01:19 AM

If this isn't karma, I dont know what is.

ARIZONA DAILY STAR

A man who had been accused of stabbing a teenager to death five years ago died in a rollover wreck Saturday afternoon on the same West Side road where the victim died.

Philip Charles Duran, 42, was arrested and charged in February 2001 in the August 2000 death of Barclay "Clay" Fincher, a 17-year-old who was stabbed more than 40 times with a metal spike and a beer bottle. Fincher died in a trailer owned by his family in the 7500 block of West Bopp Road.

Duran lost control of his vehicle and died on West Bopp Road at about 5:30 p.m. Alcohol and excessive speed are suspected to have played a role in the wreck, said Dawn Barkman, a Pima County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman.

In February, jurors acquitted Duran of first-degree murder and manslaughter but couldn't make a decision on a second-degree murder charge.

Last month in Pima County Superior Court, Judge John Davis dismissed the case, saying prosecuting Duran again for second-degree murder would violate his right not to be tried twice for the same crime. However, Davis dismissed the case without prejudice, meaning prosecutors could refile it.

Duran's trial was fraught with problems, including detectives losing potentially key evidence. Jurors said they were baffled about why detectives focused solely on Duran when his DNA was not found on the murder weapons and other potential suspects hadn't been ruled out.

Deputy Pima County Attorney Lori Eidemanis said in her closing statement at the trial that Duran was motivated to kill the victim because Fincher had taken money from a mutual acquaintance. She presented evidence that Duran's DNA was found on the Finchers' refrigerator and that he twice confessed to a murder.

But one of those confessions was allegedly made to Duran's sister. Although a detective traveled to California to interview her about the confession, the detective did not tape that interview.

A witness who claimed to have discovered Fincher after the stabbing, Norman Dale Callison, later pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in an unrelated homicide.

The victim's father, Joe Fincher, blasted the Pima County Sheriff's Department after the trial, saying it bungled the investigation. "Thanks to the incompetence of the sheriff's office, somebody got away with it," Joe Fincher said in an April interview. "They bungled it from Day One. In plain English, they screwed it up. . . . All I know is they found (Duran's) bloody handprint on my refrigerator door, and if he didn't do it, he knows who did."

Joe Fincher could not be reached for comment Sunday.
Cliff notes: Guy was guiltly of killing a teen, because of the sherrif departments screw ups he was dismissed and walked. Guy ends of crashing his car and killing himself not far from where he murdered the kid.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:25 AM

Re: If this isn't karma, I dont know what is.

I don't beleive in karma, but I'm glad the guys got what he deserved...death.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:54 AM

dude im [email protected] confused....

why was he acquitted on the first degree charge?

so someone else actually killed him and not duran?
Old 05-17-2005, 10:35 AM

The way I read it is that they found his bloody hand print on the fridge, so he was there, and if he didint do it, he saw/knows who did.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by jchevy
The way I read it is that they found his bloody hand print on the fridge, so he was there, and if he didint do it, he saw/knows who did.
Not anymore - he's dead
Old 08-23-2018, 08:30 PM

Clay was a good friend of mine! He was a great kid that loved everyone! He will for ever be in my heart. My birthday is the day before his and for years we spent them together. Philip did meet karma the night he rolled his truck & I do believe clay was standing right there with her. Rip clay xoxo