F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

I need a new cell phone. Help me decide!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

I need a new cell phone. Help me decide!

It's time for me to get a new cell phone. I currently have a Sanyo Katana, which I mostly hate. I won't buy Sanyo again.

I have Sprint. I'm not switching.

I don't want a smartphone. I don't care about internet, TV, or any of that stuff. I care a little bit about text messaging, and a little bit about having a decent camera.

I want a phone that won't accidentally call people when it's in my pocket. I don't like dealing with keyguards; in the past this has always meant a flip phone, but they didn't have slider phones the last time I bought something. I don't like wearing a belt clip.

I don't really care if it has a QWERTY keyboard, but I guess it would be nice. I do just fine with T9 for the limited amount of texting that I do (~10-15 messages / month).

I want it to have a headset jack that doesn't require some weird adapter. I want it to have speakerphone that works with the phone closed.

I want it to have bluetooth.

I've tried the RAZR and the various versions that have come since; I've never seen a Motorola phone I liked.

My wife has an LG Lotus which is pretty nice. I don't like that the qwerty keyboard has the keys in perfect columns, not offset like a real qwerty keyboard. I also don't like that the number keys are part of the letter keys.

I want it to have an external display so that I can see who's calling and/or what time/day it is without opening the phone.

Browsing online, the best thing I've seen is the Samsung Rumor2. I had a Samsung phone prior to the Katana, and it was nice.

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Last edited by JakeRobb; 07-13-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:58 PM
dtp

Old 07-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dtp View Post

Well played.

The thing is, Homer was being totally unreasonable, and I really don't think I am. I just know what I'm looking for and hoping you guys can help me find it.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:56 AM

I don't know if the Samsung Omnia is available through Sprint but I love mine. It fails on several of your requirements though, do I don't think you'd go for it. But in general, I'll recommend Samsung phones. I've had two and my brother has had one and they all performed great.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:58 AM
dtp

Originally Posted by JakeRobb View Post

Well played.

The thing is, Homer was being totally unreasonable, and I really don't think I am. I just know what I'm looking for and hoping you guys can help me find it.
I'm sorry, I couldn't help it. I read one or two requirements, then more kept on coming haha.... I honestly don't know other than saying don't buy the Moto Q 9c, but you said you don't like motorola phones so you won't make that mistake.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:45 AM

Samsung Exclaim - dual slider

Last edited by Alex 97Z28 M6; 07-14-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:38 AM

Jake, get the Exclaim or maybe even the Samsung Rant. Both should fit your needs rather well for a decent price. (Under $100)
Old 07-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Okay, so I just went to PhoneScoop.com and did a comparison between the Exclaim, Rant, Rumor2, and Lotus. I really like their comparison interface -- nicely done. It puts lines where there are differences in bold, and grays out everything that's identical, so that the differences between the phones really stand out.

The Rant got eliminated first, because it has the number keys on the outside.

The Rumor2 got eliminated next, because the rest have 2.0MP cameras, and it only has 1.2.

That leaves the Exclaim and the Lotus. As I said, my wife has a Lotus, and it's okay, but not exactly what I want, so I'm taking a really close look at the Exclaim now. I am really intrigued by the dual slider setup. At first I thought it might make the phone really thick, but the specs say it's thinner than the Lotus.

The Exclaim doesn't have a separate external display, but I think I've decided that's a good thing, because the main display is simply always visible.

The Lotus gets slightly better reviews, but it's a small enough difference that I'll chalk it up to preference (4.07 vs 4.17 out of 5).

I think I'm going to go to the Sprint store and try out an Exclaim tonight. Thanks for the tip!

Hey Brad, do you still sell phones? Too bad, I was in Grandville on Sunday. I could have bought it from you.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:46 AM

Yeah I do Jake! I'm sitting here in my store right now answering phone questions from you, one wicked element and Chris89stang.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by RedIrocZ-28 View Post
Yeah I do Jake! I'm sitting here in my store right now answering phone questions from you, one wicked element and Chris89stang.
Mine are just naked pics of me, so that doesn't really count.....

Jake - do you want to surf CZ28 on the phone? The lowest phone I could find to do that was the HTC Mogul. It's a nice "smart" phone that would be over kill for you. The Rant will not be able to surf cz28.... Plus the Mogul will hold at least an 8 gig microSD card for movies, or movies you make.

... but I think you will hate it as it's very overkill for you/want you want.

Last edited by one wicked element; 07-14-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:06 PM

We haven't been able to order the Mogul for over 8 months. That one has been discontinued for a while now.

Cz28.com surfage, would be any "smart phone". BB, HTC, Samsung Instinct s30, Palm Treo PRO/PRE.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by one wicked element View Post
Jake - do you want to surf CZ28 on the phone?
Nope.

I've tried surfing the web on phones before... the only time I didn't hate it, I was using an iPhone.

Eventually, I will almost certainly get an iPhone. Currently, I'm waiting out the AT&T exclusivity contract, and we'll see if they come out with a CDMA version that I can use on Sprint after that. I also want to wait for 64GB of storage. I'd also like to see if any of the current rumors pan out (720p screen, SD/microSD card slot, etc).
Old 07-14-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb View Post

Eventually, I will almost certainly get an iPhone. Currently, I'm waiting out the AT&T exclusivity contract, and we'll see if they come out with a CDMA version that I can use on Sprint after that. I also want to wait for 64GB of storage. I'd also like to see if any of the current rumors pan out (720p screen, SD/microSD card slot, etc).
Look at the Pre then. It does everything an iPhone does, and is avaliable on Sprint now. Very nice phones. It's def. a smartphone though.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by RedIrocZ-28 View Post
We haven't been able to order the Mogul for over 8 months. That one has been discontinued for a while now.

Cz28.com surfage, would be any "smart phone". BB, HTC, Samsung Instinct s30, Palm Treo PRO/PRE.
I'm actually looking to go buy a Treo Pro this weekend. I think it's the best 'smart' phone that I can get on Sprint (I'm on SERO, Blackberries and Pre are out of the question).

Thoughts on the Pro? Should I take another looke at the Snap?
Old 07-15-2009, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lil_mikey69 View Post
Look at the Pre then. It does everything an iPhone does, and is avaliable on Sprint now. Very nice phones. It's def. a smartphone though.
The Pre looks reasonably nice, but I can't afford a data plan right now, so no smartphone for me. Besides, the fact that a Pre isn't an iPhone would annoy me; I'd feel like I'm settling. An iPhone is what I want. Be careful saying that a Pre does everything an iPhone does -- for example, an iPhone can store 32GB of music/movies/etc.

Anyway, I bought an Exclaim last night. I've had only ten minutes or so to play with it (haven't even made a call yet!), but I'm pretty happy so far. I have a 30-day trial if I change my mind.

Thanks for the advice, guys!