How many people here own both third and fourth gens? - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

Go Back  CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
How many people here own both third and fourth gens? >

How many people here own both third and fourth gens?

F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:59 PM

More importantly, which one do you like better?

I've considered selling my Z28 to finance an IROC L98 purchase...however after owning the car for over 7 years, it'd be like chewing off my arm. It is indeed far superior to my RS in acceleration, ride quality, NVH, build quality, MPG etc...

Yet I still am drawn back to the RS like a moth to flame...thinking I might replace the Z28 down the road. With my new 4 car garage though, maybe I won't have to let it go
Old 08-02-2008, 03:01 PM

I own neither right now, and have owned both.

Thirdgens only for the future.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Z28ricer View Post
I own neither right now, and have owned both.

Thirdgens only for the future.
Any reasons why? Not that I disagree...just curious!
Old 08-02-2008, 03:13 PM

4thgen interior is too cramped for me and even though I am used to sitting back in a car and not seeing the hood. the 4thgen takes it to a whole new level.

4thgen does ride smoother though.
<--I couldn't pick which generation I liked better
Old 08-02-2008, 03:15 PM

Come to think of it.. had all four generations all at one time.

Honestly, I know how the OP feels. I have flashbacks to my 87 IROC.. despite so many flaws and so many reasons not to really own one, the car looks gorgeous and I want a 91/92 Z. Mind you I have an LS1... My 4th gen just feels boring sometimes.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:23 PM

I've owned both and granted the IROC is beautiful...Personally I beleive the 4th gen to just be better over all...The seats are DEF better than the IROCs
Old 08-02-2008, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by MasterEvilAce View Post
Come to think of it.. had all four generations all at one time.

Honestly, I know how the OP feels. I have flashbacks to my 87 IROC.. despite so many flaws and so many reasons not to really own one, the car looks gorgeous and I want a 91/92 Z. Mind you I have an LS1... My 4th gen just feels boring sometimes.
"Boring"...you too?

I love how supposedly 4th gens were seen as uncompromised, all-out performance machines with little to no regard for comfort, ergonomics etc...and yet my Z28 feels like a Cadillac and, yes, a little boring compared to the RS.

The only reasons I have to not own one are how rust can crop up anywhere, anytime (gotta love a plastic car with a galvanized structure, aka 4th gens!!!!), horrid chassis squeaks/rattles, and the ride/performance relationship sucks compared to 4th gens. Yet I never seem to care. Don't like the squeaks? Turn the radio up! Don't want rust? 3 grand got me an awesome respray! Don't like the ride? Choose roads wisely!!
Old 08-02-2008, 03:29 PM

Yeah.. I think pretty much a thirdgen that's been put up to date. Aftermarket suspension, engine modifications, updated seats... as long as it looks good, rides well, and has power.. I don't think you can lose.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:33 PM

Still have both. Both have their advantages. Smoother ride on the Z, better all around suspension and handling, power, etc. The RS just feels comfortable, looks gorgeous, etc. I intend to keep both and maybe get an IROC in the future. Just gonna be hard to find a good condition one.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jason E View Post
Any reasons why? Not that I disagree...just curious!
Lighter, a lot easier to work on. And with a 4th gen engine / trans combo, they are so much better than either car.

Get to see the hood while driving, not just assume its there. The dashboard isnt monstrous.

And a 91-92 looks better than all 4th gens

Name:  32522493881.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  78.6 KB
Old 08-02-2008, 05:34 PM

I suppose I could chime in here.

3rd gens: Way easier to work on. Better dash board. (I was never crazy about the tach/speedo being combined in the 4th gens.) R-12 air conditioning, pull back shade for the hatch. A classic shape on the outside. Seats are just as comfortable as the 4th gens. 9 bolt rear ends stronger than the 10 bolts on 4th gens. TPI is gorgeous.

4th gens: 6 speed manual option, CD players (although 3rd gens started coming with CD players in '89), better T-tops (they blend in better). They also went back to the manual snap down trunk lid rather than the 3rd gen's motorized lid. OBDII makes for an easy emissions test as well. Better gas mileage in the 4th gens. 4L60E better than TH700R4.

Obviously the LS1 takes the power to a whole new level. The LS1 brakes are a common upgrade for 3rd gens as well. Exhaust? Well we'll call that a draw. LT1 sounds great. L98 sounds good. LS1 sounds weak.

4th gens are a smoother ride, but the 3rd gens seem to corner just as well. The 4th gen has a cup holder which can not be overlooked. They also have a locking glove box as opposed to the "pocket" that the 3rd gens came with.

I catch way more glances in the 3rd gen than I do the 4th gen. Strangely enough it's young kids (pre-teens) and seniors who really like the 3rd gen. The 4th gets more stares from older adults. I figure the young kids never got to see a new 3rd gen and the seniors weren't interested in 4th's when they came but do remember the 3rd gens. Or they owned one new 25 years ago. Strong nostalgia for them.

3rd gens had 1LE's, Player's Challenge, Turbo Trans Ams, and kick *** Firehawks.

4th gens had SS's and watered down Firehawks. I do prefer the Firehawk hoods over the regular hoods and the 4 port hoods that Trans Ams had. The 1LE lost it's flavour with the 4th gens.

Of course there are the annoyances with either cars too.

3rd gen: Used to make the WOT 3-4 shift, then they didn't (at the same time they made the transmission stronger...WTF?), then they did again years later. The IROC wheels started great and then got progressively uglier with each design. The flat wheels on the 91-92 were the worst.

4th gen: Window motors, window buttons, doors are too high and the rubber sill makes hanging your elbow out the window uncomfortable. Speed governors and low mph speedometers had no place on the Z28's. The fact that the V6's came with higher speedometers than some of the Z28's was extra annoying. Salad shooters were great, 5 stars were OK, the stock Z28 wheels on the last few years were atrocious.

Choose your poison.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:58 PM

I never realized there were so many 3rd gen fans ... those cars blow all around, lol ---
Old 08-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by IROCThisZ28ForLife View Post
Personally I beleive the 4th gen to just be better over all...The seats are DEF better than the IROCs
The 4th gens seats are a direct bolt in for the most part.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:36 PM

[email protected] thinking one seat is more comfortable then the other.
The seats are identical except for the 3rdgen gta one's had different more adjustable headrests.
My 3rdgen seats have 3 leavers for forward/back tilt and curve of the center front part along with power lumbar and power side bolsters.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by AlwaysCode390 View Post
I never realized there were so many 3rd gen fans ... those cars blow all around, lol ---
Says the guy with an LT1, a fancy S10, and a damn Catera!!

Jason E: I don't really prefer either my 85 Z28 or my 00 Trans Am over the other. Each has their strongpoints. The 2000 is MUCH faster, but the Z28 just has that raw powerful feel to it. I like the lines of the 3rd gen over the curves of the 4th gen. I've had the 3rd gen for 12 years now, and will NEVER sell it. The 4th gen has a ton of money sunk into it, but it will go eventually.

Aaron91RS: I've got the top of line 4th gen seats in the TA, and the base seats in the 85. The 3rd gen seat is much more comfortable - and there is no mistaking the two - there definitely NOT the same.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many people here own both third and fourth gens?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.