Go Back  CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
Home builders, home foundation experts, plumbers...Worried about basement getting wet >

Home builders, home foundation experts, plumbers...Worried about basement getting wet

F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

Home builders, home foundation experts, plumbers...Worried about basement getting wet

Old 11-30-2011, 07:36 PM

My parents are looking to buy a 4 year old home with a basement. The basement is roughed in for a bathroom including a sewage ejector pit.

For those who do not know what a sewage ejector pit is, in cases where the main sewage line is above the basement floor, the basement toilet flushes into this holding pit in the floor then a pump pumps the crap out of the pit and into the main sewage line. This is a rather conventional way of doing basement bathrooms when the main line is above the floor to remedy that little problem of **** and water refusing to flow uphill.

Here is a digram of the system.

Onto the problem.
Right now there is no toilet set and the pit is wide open and ideally, it should remain bone dry. Currently, the pit is totally full of groundwater seeping into it and close to overflowing into the basement.

There is only three ways I know this pit can be getting full of water.
1. The plastic pit cylinder is cracked.
2. The PVC 2" line going into the pit (other end goes to toilet drain) cylinder wall is not sealing tight.
3. Water is draining in from the top. This is not likely cause there is no evidence of water anywhere on the floor around the pit.

I am leaning toward #2 above being the spot where groundwater under the foundation is somehow getting into this pit. Hopefully this is a minor plumbing issue and not something severe like excess water or a spring lying under the house.

Anyone have any experience in this area and want to comment?
Thanks.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:00 PM

Re: Home builders, home foundation experts, plumbers...Worried about basement getting

Does that pit have some sort of sealed container in it? I used to have a sump pump. I had to drain holes in the sides of it near the bottom. Water would flow in from the surrounding dirt and fill it up. It would run the sump pump once every 15 minutes during the winter. Maybe once every few days in the summer.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:16 PM

Re: Home builders, home foundation experts, plumbers...Worried about basement getting

Can you inspect the pump housing for cracks? Either that or the floor penetration is not sealed?
Old 11-30-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gord's Green Z28 View Post
Does that pit have some sort of sealed container in it? I used to have a sump pump. I had to drain holes in the sides of it near the bottom. Water would flow in from the surrounding dirt and fill it up. It would run the sump pump once every 15 minutes during the winter. Maybe once every few days in the summer.
The hole in the floor does have a plastic container but the lid has never been installed. This thing is not intended to be a sump, its clearly for the bathroom and when working correctly, should never have groundwater seeping into it.

Originally Posted by Josh-'04 GTO View Post
Can you inspect the pump housing for cracks? Either that or the floor penetration is not sealed?
No pump in it. It has nothing in it but lots of groundwater.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:46 PM

I wish I could give you some advice as I have the same exact setup for the bathroom in my basement but I have not experienced any issues with my system. Works really well and was installed by one of the previous owners.

If/when you do find the problem, please post up in case I run into any problems in the future.