Go Back  CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
Having a hard time breathing when mowing the lawn >

Having a hard time breathing when mowing the lawn

F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

Old 08-01-2005, 02:03 PM

The last few times I've mowed the lawn I've had to take a break because at first I'd just get a tingling in my throat that made it kind of itch, and I'd have to cough and like my throat was very very dry. This most recent time made me start thinking more seriously about it because by the time I was almost done, it got so bad that I felt like I was having trouble breathing. I was determined to finish because I was so close to being finished and didn't want to stop and 'take a break' or whatever but ended up being forced to stop because I literally couldn't talk and could hardly breath. I drank a glass of water and coughed up quite a bit of some sort of liquidy/mucusy type stuff (like mucus but very liquid) from my lungs, from what it seemed like.

So I guess it's either from grass, from dust, or possibly from some chemical I've recently been spraying on my lawn such as MSMA, Image, or pesticides getting 'kicked up' into the air when I mow? (even though I never mow within 24 hours of spraying)

So I guess I'm looking for advice. Obviously I need to do something about this. I see people wearing those paper/cotton doctor's masks with the elastic band around the back, when they mow, and I can only assume it's for a similar reason. But those things just seem like they would really restrict your breathing and make you uncomfortably hot, too? Is there any alternative to this or a product made specifically for this that's a little less hot and constricting?

Or maybe an alergy medicine that works well for people in my situation? I've NEVER had a significant problem with allergies before in my life. So this is pretty new to me.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:09 PM

Re: Having a hard time breathing when mowing the lawn

They aren't very restricting or hot really, I mean they are slightly uncomfy and all but they aren't bad. When I have had to do large sanding projects (we're talking like 3 decks at once) I wear them so that the particles of wood don't get into my lungs. I would consult your doctor though, never know man, could be a lung problem and not a problem with the lawn or the chemicals.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:11 PM

Location: Grammar Nazi Regional Headquarters; Arlen, Texas, U S of A

Hire someone to cut it for you.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:19 PM

Hank, no way. I really enjoy taking care of my own lawn. Plus lawn guys end up costing something like 250-300 bucks a month in the peak seasons around here. I bought my mower for about 2 months worth of lawn care fees and feel good saving money and going a more careful job myself.

Originally Posted by JBird33
They aren't very restricting or hot really, I mean they are slightly uncomfy and all but they aren't bad. When I have had to do large sanding projects (we're talking like 3 decks at once) I wear them so that the particles of wood don't get into my lungs. I would consult your doctor though, never know man, could be a lung problem and not a problem with the lawn or the chemicals.
Wouldn't you think that it would affect me at other times, then? I mean I go running and do all sorts of other much more high-heat/intensive projects around and about and never feel anything similar.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:37 PM

Wink Re: Having a hard time breathing when mowing the lawn

My recommendation is to stop being such a pansy
Old 08-01-2005, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by JoshGuitar
My recommendation is to stop being such a pansy
That's another reason I don't want to wear a doctor's mask... I think it looks very weird and pansy-ish, but I also don't like the prospect of choking to death on my front lawn just to look like a manly man.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:39 PM

I wear one of those doctor like cotton face masks when I mow. Grass and dust from mowing will screw my sinuses up more than anything else otherwise.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
That's another reason I don't want to wear a doctor's mask... I think it looks very weird and pansy-ish, but I also don't like the prospect of choking to death on my front lawn just to look like a manly man.
Wear the doctors mask every time you leave the house, get a ferris wheel in your back yard, and dangle a baby off the balcony...sounds good to me
Old 08-01-2005, 02:44 PM

Doctor Freeman uses an HEV Suit to mow his lawn, I suggest you invest.

Seriously though, can you get your hands on a HAZ-mat Suit? that'd be awesome.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:47 PM

and I"m sure you look like a manly-man gasping for breath, taking multiple breaks too...

Originally Posted by Threxx
Old 08-01-2005, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by [email protected] [email protected]
Seriously though, can you get your hands on a HAZ-mat Suit? that'd be awesome.
Right, but remember when I said about me not wanting it to be hot?

I think wearing one of those in the weather/sun we've had here recently would kill me more quickly than any alergic reaction.

Unless those suits are quite a bit cooler than they look?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:52 PM

How long have you been mowing the lawn, and how long have you been dispensing the chemicals?

It could just be that the air quality has been somewhat poor the last few times you've been doing yardwork. Right now, according to weather.com, the air quality is unhealthy for sensitive groups(air quality ). Also, grass pollen seems to be high as well(pollen report ).

Could be the cause.

Old 08-01-2005, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by StngStlkr
How long have you been mowing the lawn, and how long have you been dispensing the chemicals?

It could just be that the air quality has been somewhat poor the last few times you've been doing yardwork. Right now, according to weather.com, the air quality is unhealthy for sensitive groups(air quality ). Also, grass pollen seems to be high as well(pollen report ).

Could be the cause.

I used to mow my parent's lawn every week from around the age of 12 to around the age of 16 when I started working; muuuuuch bigger lawns than I have, too. Never had any problems. Haven't really mowed by maybe a couple of times since I bought this house back toward the end of last summer. So I'd say I've probably mowed the lawn ~30 times, all in the last not quite a year? Just a guess. I've haven't been using much in the way of chemicals on it until really recently though. I dunno... maybe that's the problem, which is scary because those chemicals are reeeeeeal powerful (pro grade stuff I bought from a warehouse). For that reason I have taken a break on the chemicals and will not use them for the next two weeks to see if it continues.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:57 PM

It sounds like an allergy issue. I have the same problems as well as asthma, so the two put together really sucks.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:00 PM

Get a pet goat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Having a hard time breathing when mowing the lawn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.