F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

Guitarists inside...

Old 12-26-2003, 12:06 AM

Guitarists inside...

I'm pretty dead set on getting this guitar at somepoint, because I miss playing like crazy. But I'd like to get some opinions on it, especially if anyone out there has one. I'm looking to pick up an Ibanez RG 321

Click this for info on it.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:08 AM

It would make a nice daily beater
Old 12-26-2003, 12:10 AM

It'd be my only beater. I sold my old setup about 2 years ago.

I've always wanted an Ibanez though. I love the looks of them.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:04 AM

That my friend is the V6 of Ibanez. You ever heard the expression "spend the extra $ and get a Z!"??? My man, the best bang for the buch is the RG470, or the RG550. They both have better pickups(V8), double locking tremelos for added effect and for tuning. You just have to break in the strings, fine tune and off you go. Better inlays on the neck(GFX) and pick guards to add to the styling. Plus 24 frets. Plus a single coil for a thinner sound. All around it will feel better, perform better, and sound a heckuva lot better than the RG321.

Look for a RG550DX. It has to humbuckers, a single coil, shark tooth inlays, molded headstock, Floyd Rose tremelo( double locking) and a mirror pickguard in a couple of different colors. I have the black one and it's a great all around guitar for around a couple hundred dollars more. Dig?

later
Finch
Old 12-26-2003, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by Finchinater
That my friend is the V6 of Ibanez. You ever heard the expression "spend the extra $ and get a Z!"??? My man, the best bang for the buch is the RG470, or the RG550. They both have better pickups(V8), double locking tremelos for added effect and for tuning. You just have to break in the strings, fine tune and off you go. Better inlays on the neck(GFX) and pick guards to add to the styling. Plus 24 frets. Plus a single coil for a thinner sound. All around it will feel better, perform better, and sound a heckuva lot better than the RG321.

Look for a RG550DX. It has to humbuckers, a single coil, shark tooth inlays, molded headstock, Floyd Rose tremelo( double locking) and a mirror pickguard in a couple of different colors. I have the black one and it's a great all around guitar for around a couple hundred dollars more. Dig?

later
Finch
I agree if you are dead set on the brand.

What kind of music do you play?

We could tell you alot of guitar's that would meet the standards of what you need if we know what this guitar will be used for.

Blues, Rock, Metal? ect..ect..
Old 12-26-2003, 01:16 AM

I think you should get an ESP and get it over with

[/my pointless posts in this thread]
Old 12-26-2003, 02:18 AM

i like les pauls...

Old 12-26-2003, 11:44 AM

The V6 of Ibanez. I like that. I'll look into it man, but I'm not gonna spend a fortune on it. I just miss playing, and I've always wanted an Ibanez RG series guitar. And for the one who asked, I'm more into rock, metal, MAYBE blues.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:47 AM

rg1527
rg1550
rg1570
rg1570l
rg1620x
rg170r
rg2120x
rg3120
rg320fm
rg321
rg350dx
rg370
rg370dx
rg7321
rgt3120
rgt42
rgt42fm

Those are all the RG models listed on ibanez.com I see no 470 or 550.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:49 AM

When I bought my guitar, I was also thinking about resale if I ever sell it. I was about to buy a Epiphone SG untill someone mentioned resale. So instead I bought a Gibson SG and although the 2 are almost identical, it is higher quality and has held its value for 4 years. I can still sell it for 1k(I paid $1100), but the same Epiphone goes used for about $300 when it sold for $600.

And also, why get the V6 when you can get the V8. You don;t have to worry aobut insurance costs on this one.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:47 PM

The RG470 or the 550 might be discontinued models. I've had mine for about 6 years now. They are both great guitars and will do great for just about any style of music. Basically look for pickup configuration V7(neck) S1(middle) and V8(bridge). Those are the standard pickups for mid priced Ibanez's. The shark tooth inlays, wizard 2 neck, and lo pro edge tremelo are just for performance. It's just nice to have a nice lookin' guitar.

later
Finch
Old 12-29-2003, 10:04 PM

The Ibanez RG470 is a discontinued model. I have one and love it. I also got it in a discontinued color.

If you're serious about playing and what qualty, go for a beefier model. But if you just want something to play on every once and awhile, get that one. Don't blow your money on something when it's not really a bid deal to you. Just pick up that one and buy a nice set of pickups to replace those God awful ones in it already.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:23 AM

http://jacksonguitars.com/gear/gear.php?node_id=24

Check these out. I started out with one of these and have since upgraded to a Soloist. They aren't dirt cheap, but not too expensive either. Different styles for different taste. Just another option...
Old 12-30-2003, 12:54 AM

Question

Is it just me or does everybody buy only ESP or Ibanez these days?? I guess with all the "Nu-metal", that's the guitars of choice.

<rant> ESP's are certainly becoming better guitars, although I think it was stupid to totally get rid of their top of the line "ESP" series - now (or at least since I paid attention prior to this year) it's all "LTD". I'd only buy an ESP if it was a signature guitar that I would collect, like the George Lynch series. Speaking of, what in the world is the difference between:

Manalishi vd LTD Manalishi
Tiger vs LTD Tiger

They all share the same pickups in their respective categories, same tremolo, same woods. I simply do not get it. The only thing I can think of is not using 1 piece bodies on the LTD series. When the Lynch collection first introduced their lineup of LTD guitars (Sunburst Tiger and Kamikaze), they were true LTD (Limited!) guitars. Cheaper wood, cheaper tremolos, cheaper pickups, cheaper construction. Now the LTD series is seemingly right on par with the ESP series. I'm all confused now So now I just simply go right past the ESP guitars at guitar shops and check out everything else. <rant off>
Old 12-30-2003, 01:02 AM

ibanez guitars suck, i have an rg 220 and its the biggest piece of crap, plays like crap, sounds like crap, paid like $500 for it, it sucks, never buying another one, i think the only good ibanez's are the ones that are $1000+

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Guitarists inside...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.