F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

Guitar Guys - Amp Advice

Old 02-13-2012, 10:57 AM

Guitar Guys - Amp Advice

Since my daughter was born (almost 2) i've barely touched my electric guitars. Recently I started picking them up again. I have a Fender halfstack currently, this is WAY too much volume even at the absolute lowest setting to be able to play in my house and not disturb everyone else. It's only useable when nobody else is home, which is not all that often.

I am looking for a combo amp to replace it. Here's what i'm looking for:
-Enough volume to still rock out when nobody is home.
-Solid clean sound, i have a multi-effects pedal in front of the amp, so i don't need effects really. I'm okay with an amp that has effects, but i'll probalby rarely use them.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:38 PM

Re: Guitar Guys - Amp Advice

What kind of Fender amp? Tube? Watts?

In my experience, you're better off getting something like a POD that you can just plug in headphones. I have a 50w Single Rectifier head with 2x12 Recto cab. You can play it at low volumes, but its kind of pointless. I have a PODxtPro rackmount that I fool around with and I like it so much that I pretty much play it all the time unless I gig (not very often). I actually just put the Mesa in the closet a few weeks ago since. the POD is just too convenient.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:41 PM

My mess around amp is a Peavey Transtube 212 Efx. I got when I was about 16. Still sounds great and sounds great at low levels as well, not all amps do. It has three settings and I can get a really great 70s tube overdrive sound and then straight to a modern digital solid state dry crunch. Great amp IMO.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:19 PM

Marshall's are nice but pricey...
Old 02-13-2012, 07:28 PM

I have a Vox AC4TV combo and the matching 1x12 cab. The combo has a power switch that limits output to 1/8watt, 1/2 watt, and full 4watt. It's a very basic all tube amp (which is what I was after), with the only other ***** being a volume and tone. Another good option would be the Vox VT+ series (I traded a VT20+ for my AC4). It's a modeling amp that has a headphone input so you can play quietly. Another option would be the Fender Vibro Champ or Super Champ. The VT20+ and Super Champ are hybrid tube/solid state.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:35 PM

Orange Tiny Terror. AWESOME sound!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by RedLT4Mike View Post
That would be my pick for a small low powered amp. Their dual terror is nice too. Has the option of playing at 30, 15, or 7 watts.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:21 AM

I love my Marshall combo amp. It wasn't too expensive (~$300 I think, I traded a bass guitar straight for it at a guitar shop) and it has a great sound for a non-tube amp. It definitely gets loud (much louder than I could ever use in our townhouse) but if you're careful with the volume **** you can play it quietly (though you really can't go above 1 ).
Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 AM

Those low watt tube amps sound great, but they are like all ube amps--you have to turn them up to get them to sound good.

My buddy used to use a 5w Peavey tube amp combo (I forget the name) at our band practices. It sounded great, but it was plenty loud to play with a drum set. I can't really see the point of buying a tube amp to play quietly based on my own personal experience.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by RedLT4Mike View Post
I spent some time playing through one of these last night. This would be perfect for indieaz.

I tried both the Tiny Terror by itself (not sure what it was plugged into as the cabinet was closed back) as well as playing through a Tiny Terror combo. I really liked the combo. It was an Orange speaker box with an open back with a 1x12 speaker in there. The speaker was a Celestion G12H-30.

The combination of a tube driven Tiny Terror with it's 7 watt or 15 watt switch along with the 1x12 G12H-30 would make for a perfect bedroom/living room amp. Kid and wife friendly. And it's so easy to set since there are only 3 ***** on it (volume, tone, gain). I saw a Marshall amp that had 28 ***** and 6 buttons on it. No thank you.

The G12H-30 is my favourite speaker. Oddly enough, it seems like the Tiny Terror 1x12 combo is the only setup they offer with that speaker. The rest of their cabinets have Vintage 30's.

As for the 7 watts vs 15 watts switch, I think I actually liked the 7 watt setting better. Go figure. There is little to no difference in volume. But the 7 watt setting has a smoother more controlled sound. Like the strings are ever so slightly dampened.