F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

Grand Prix GXP or GTP?

Old 06-06-2009, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jason E View Post
Gripe...buddy...3 out of 4 ain't bad my friend

Better MPG out of GXP? FAIL. No way. That seems to be the #1 gripe of guys that moved from Comp Gs to GXPs. Even though the EPA ratings are the same, guys were/are getting 2-3 MPG less in real world driving.

Either one will not dissappoint IMO!
I think it depends on the driving...if you do a lot of highway then the GXP wins out..our GXP averages out well in the 30's for MPG. But again my wife does a lot of highway to get to work and not much getting on and off the highway..but yea most of the people out there said maybe 22MPG..but if your getting a car like this or the Comp G why would it be something you worry about? It would just be a plus on gas savings.

and snow driving? Actualyl I was expecting a lot worse with these tires and they were not bad..and we never got stuck..even with summer tires??? go figure..
but like said either one will not be a bad choice.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Koz

GXP all day long over a GTP. It's just a cooler car . I don't think you'd see a drastic mileage difference between the two. Slight, sure, but enough to make it a major factor in the decision? Probably not. GXP!

Originally Posted by RedIrocZ-28 View Post
I have a '97 GTP Daily Driver, gets 33mpg highway.

Let me know of another car that can run mid 13's with very few inexpensive mods and get that kind of highway mileage and I'll get it.
Cobalt SS Turbo with the GM Stage kit. It'll get better city mileage too
Old 06-06-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC View Post
You must have been going downhill at 45mph the whole way, I never got over 25 in the comp g.
Cruise set at 75mph the whole way.

Verified this number via taking the amount of fuel I had to put in to reach full again and divided it by the amount of miles I had traveled.

I was ~425 miles from home and I had used 13.xx gallons of fuel.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by RedIrocZ-28 View Post
Cruise set at 75mph the whole way.

Verified this number via taking the amount of fuel I had to put in to reach full again and divided it by the amount of miles I had traveled.

I was ~425 miles from home and I had used 13.xx gallons of fuel.
With the cruise set at 75 the BEST ours has ever gotten was 26. I've had N/A Grand Prixs net 27-28 under the same conditions. Your number makes absolutely no sense, and I've owned 4 Grand Prixs now...oh well...

Caps,
I just remember hitting up Club GP about a year after the GXPs debuted, to see what owners were saying. Almost EVERYONE was bitching about the mileage versus their previous Comp G. I was surprised how many loyal GP buyers swapped 2 year old cars for the '06 GXPs!!

Sadly, not enough
Old 06-06-2009, 03:36 PM

yea..I think the "problem" was solved..you had to drive it a little different than a comp G or a GTP..one thing many learend it for it to get the best fuel economy you have to get up to speed fast..not a bad thing
then set your cruise control..once thats on and the DoD takes over your getting 30+MPG on the highway..a few people have done it with the same results and told me to do that. I guess the DoD is very sensative deactivates if you drive a certain way. If your in and out of the throttle a lot on a trip..the DoD wont kick in and thats why having the cruise control on helps it out..I mean so far its worked for me..

I mean we tested the idea out..one week of driving with the cruise control and doing 70 and one time with it off trying to stay at 70..she got a lot more miles out of the cruise control. and our DIC even backed it up with milage and gas remaining and average fuel milage..