F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

Goodbye Pontiac :(

Old 04-27-2009, 09:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
Call the Solstice the Chevelle and call the G8 the Impala. Then make the current "Impala" the Bel-Air.
The Solstice is too small a car to get the Chevelle nameplate. If I were to just grab an old Chevy name out of the sky to slap on a Solstice, I would pick Nova.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by bad95formula View Post
http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/27/news...ment/index.htm

This is a sad day. I always figured GM would drop Buick, Saab, and maybe even Saturn and keep Pontiac, Chevy and Cadillac. I guess Pontiac was not profitable enough.
Originally Posted by psychocabbage View Post
I am fine with this move.
Next, Buick and the other brands I dont like need to go. Then they need to bring the european brands over here.
Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1 View Post
They need to drop everything but Chevy, Cadillac, and Saturn. GMC, Buick, Pontiac... dead weight. Move the good cars that Pontiac has (The G8, can't think of anything else that isn't already a duplicate of a chevy) the good car that Buick has (the Enclave) and then just add a higher trim package on the Chevy SUV's and pickups to replace GMC.

Why kill the most dependable car on the road?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by shock6906 View Post
The Solstice is too small a car to get the Chevelle nameplate. If I were to just grab an old Chevy name out of the sky to slap on a Solstice, I would pick Nova.
I thought about that, but I couldn't remember if the Nova ever came in vert form or not.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Banned

I thought about that, but I couldn't remember if the Nova ever came in vert form or not.
Back in the day...

Old 04-27-2009, 09:40 AM

30 years in the making. Besides the G8, the Fiero and the Solstice, they haven't put out any cars in the last 30 years that will be remembered. Hell, if it wasn't for the G8 GT/GXP, I doubt it will be remembered either.
Thing is...

cars that make money aren't always remembered...

The grand prix, and gran am, may be remembered to be just as boring as a Camry or corrolla. But they made money, and alot of it.

You saying if Pontiac or Toyota didn't make either and stuck to Supras, Mr2s, Celicas, Fieros, Gtos, etc... they would have been successful companies?

come on....
Old 04-27-2009, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by shock6906 View Post
........AAANNNDDD thats where the problem is. simply slapping historic names on new cars. ahem...GTO. u kno how well that went.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Thing is...

cars that make money aren't always remembered...

The grand prix, and gran am, may be remembered to be just as boring as a Camry or corrolla. But they made money, and alot of it.

You saying if Pontiac or Toyota didn't make either and stuck to Supras, Mr2s, Celicas, Fieros, Gtos, etc... they would have been successful companies?

come on....

Are you telling me that the Chevrolet equivlents couldn't have just as successful simply because they didn't have an arrowhead on the bumper? They were Chevrolets with some plastic cladding slapped on them.

That, and the fleet sales on the Grand Prixs, Grand Ams and G6s were ridiculous. It wouldn't suprise me if 1/3 of the vehicles in Hertz's fleet were Pontiacs.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by CaliChevyLover View Post
........AAANNNDDD thats where the problem is. simply slapping historic names on new cars. ahem...GTO. u kno how well that went.
Yeah, but that was nothing more than a cheap trick to appease the masses who were upset over the Camaro and Firebird getting killed off.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CaliChevyLover View Post
What connection does the 5th gen Camaro share with any of its predecessors? It shares not a single common part with any Camaro before it. It's on an entirely new chassis, all the body panels are new, all the drivetrain is new, all the interior is new. It has styling reminiscent of the '69 Camaro, but that's about it. Otherwise, it's no different than the GTO in spirit. Of course, the GTO nameplate had a lot longer hiatus than Camaro had, but that's neither here nor there.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:59 AM

Are you telling me that the Chevrolet equivlents couldn't have just as successful simply because they didn't have an arrowhead on the bumper? They were Chevrolets with some plastic cladding slapped on them.

That, and the fleet sales on the Grand Prixs, Grand Ams and G6s were ridiculous. It wouldn't suprise me if 1/3 of the vehicles in Hertz's fleet were Pontiacs.
I wouledn't have bought a malibu, but I bought a G6...

alot of guys never woudl buy a Camaro but they would buy a Trans am hands down.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

30 years in the making. Besides the G8, the Fiero and the Solstice, they haven't put out any cars in the last 30 years that will be remembered.
You're not going to remember Firebird or any of its variants?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:37 AM

even when chevy made a twin car. The pontiac always had more aggressive styling, more flare. It always looked just a little meaner.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:40 AM

Location: Grammar Nazi Regional Headquarters; Arlen, Texas, U S of A
Kill one of your best-selling brands. Brilliant move GM!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb View Post
You're not going to remember Firebird or any of its variants?
Ultimately, it was a cladded up Camaro. Yeah, I liked the styling more than the Camaro, but I will always use it in the same sentence as Camaro when referring to it. Most of the time I just say F-body anyways. It didn't offer anything different than its sister car in the end.

As I said though, this is for the last 30 years. Back in the 70s when the Firebird was still offering 400 c.i. motors compared to the weezers in the Camaro, it was a different story. Even the turbo GTA is really only known about within the F-body community. Most people have no clue about that car.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:50 AM

Ultimately, it was a cladded up Camaro. Yeah, I liked the styling more than the Camaro, but I will always use it in the same sentence as Camaro when referring to it. Most of the time I just say F-body anyways. It didn't offer anything different than its sister car in the end.

As I said though, this is for the last 30 years. Back in the 70s when the Firebird was still offering 400 c.i. motors compared to the weezers in the Camaro, it was a different story. Even the turbo GTA is really only known about within the F-body community. Most people have no clue about that car.
thing is I prefered Camaros to firebirds...

but when it came to cars liek impalas, malibus, etc.. I prefer pontiacs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Goodbye Pontiac :(

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.