Go Back  CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
Do you let your engine warm up before driving the car? >

Do you let your engine warm up before driving the car?

F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.
View Poll Results: Do you let your engine warm up before driving?
always
22.62%
sometimes
38.10%
never
39.29%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Do you let your engine warm up before driving the car?

Old 04-27-2009, 11:22 AM

In any newer car, I usually don't give it any warmup time. Maybe 5-10 seconds before I put it into gear just to make sure the oil is circulating.

In my carbed Blazer, yeah, it gets ~2 minutes so it will actually run. And the bike gets a minute or two because it's somewhat of a cold-blooded twin (usually while I'm putting my helmet and gloves on).

More important is the first few miles of driving after a cold start. I go real easy until the engine is warm in any car/bike.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:28 AM

If its really cold I let it warm for a few seconds.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:37 AM

About 30 secs then I always baby it for there first min or so until I'm close to operating temperature.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:45 AM

i turn it to the "on" position and let it set till the fuel pump cycles all the way through. then i'll push the button to start and let it sit for about 10-20 more seconds and off i go. i'll keep the revs below 4K until i hit three bars then it's good to go
Old 04-27-2009, 01:16 PM

Sure- I let it 'warm up' by driving it gently for the first few minutes- Turn the key, wait 5 or 10 seconds for oil pressure to max out, slip it into drive, and gently ease on down the road. I wait a couple minutes before giving it more than about 1/4 throttle, though-
Old 04-27-2009, 02:47 PM

Only if it is very cold outside. Otherwise, no.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:57 PM

Truck: Hell no. Crank & go.

Bike: Not much choice. If it's below about 60 or so, it won't run for crap off-idle until it's warm. Usually I fire it up on half-choke and run back into the house until I hear it go to fast idle.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by psychocabbage View Post
There are times where its been less than 1 min btw start up and WOT at over 100mph..
I'm starting to see how you blew up 7 transmissions with your last Camaro.

Originally Posted by obaja View Post
my camaro i warm up easily for 5 min before i drive it because i only drive it once a month so i think it does need a good warmin up.

My Diesel i always let warm up 5 min no matter what and i let it cool off before shutting off no matter what.
You're in southern California. You don't need to warm up your car. And diesels are just about impossible to overheat. They don't warm up like regular cars do. Drive 'em after 10-15 seconds.

As soon as your car's idle comes back down from a cold start, you're good to go. Emissions and engine wear are at their worst when a car is cold. Letting a car sit there idling going nowhere slows down the warm up process, thus wearing out parts more. In cold climates, you can see your coolant gauge go down at long stop lights.

Now once you start getting -10 and colder, you'll want to let it idle. But that's for safety reasons. No point in driving when the windshield is fogged up and/or frozen. A minute or two should be able to get some defrost going.

Once you get down at -40 and colder, you may want to leave your car idling while you go to the grocery store or visit a friend. You'll actually burn less fuel and pollute less by leaving it running. That's because you burn about 4x as much fuel during a -40 cold start, not to mention the catalytic converter does nothing when the engine is cold. Engine can't burn the gas, so it injects even more gas to keep it from stalling. Most of it comes raw out the back tailpipe unburnt. (Ever notice the colder it gets the richer and thicker your exhaust smells?)

Fairbanks Alaska with it's 30,000 population has the same amount of carbon monoxide in the air as Los Angeles. That's because the extreme cold weather there means that cars put out enormous amounts of pollution during cold starts. The cat and EGR do nothing at startup. Temperature inversion in Fairbanks is also a large factor. (It's warmer at ground level than up high in the mountains, so vehicle exhaust hits a 10 ft ceiling and drifts sideways rather than going straight up like in most parts of the world)
Old 04-28-2009, 03:26 AM

My Silverado and Caddy, nope. Unless my windows are iced over.

The Camaro: yes. It idles until the temperature gauge moves or until the piston slap stops. Haha. Also with a cammed motor I like to let everything get some heat in it. Then it gets driven pretty easily until it reaches operating temp, then it's on like Donkey Kong.

The Harley, yep. It gets warmed up on initial start up until I can almost shut the choke. I leaved it slightly choked and start heading down the road. A few miles and it's no longer being choked. It's pretty cold blooded, even in hot weather.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:33 AM

I just wait about 30 seconds. That's about the time it takes for the RPM's to fall below 1,000 at idle. I figure that's enough time for the oil to get moving.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:41 AM

I usually start it up and sit for about 30 seconds as I get the AC/heat/CD player where I want it and then go, driving slowly for the first couple of minutes (easy since I'm in a neighborhood). If it's cold out (30* or lower) I'll start it up and run back inside and let it warm up for a couple minutes before I leave, mostly to let the heater warm up.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Gord's Green Z28 View Post
I'm starting to see how you blew up 7 transmissions with your last Camaro.
Umm.. it was 6! and I drove that one a little differently.. That was just a bad car.

This one I have had since new so it learned what I expected from it early on and has not disappointed me.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by psychocabbage View Post
This one I have had since new so it learned what I expected from it early on and has not disappointed me.
Cars are not autonomous beings.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:14 AM

Grand Prix hell no, hop in and drive.

The Camaro, I will let it warm up to operating temp unless it's late or really early because the headers/ory/gmmg are loud as **** and I don't want to wake my neighbors.

Only major reason I like to let the Camaro warm up as until it gets up to temp, the piston slap sounds like my car is a diesel and and it's kind of embarrasing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you let your engine warm up before driving the car?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.