Go Back  CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
Do you let your engine warm up before driving the car? >

Do you let your engine warm up before driving the car?

F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.
View Poll Results: Do you let your engine warm up before driving?
always
22.62%
sometimes
38.10%
never
39.29%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Do you let your engine warm up before driving the car?

Old 04-26-2009, 09:42 PM

In the cars, not really. I let them idle for a few seconds then go. However I let my motorcycle warm up a little, like a minute or two, before taking off.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:47 PM

let it sit for a few seconds just to make sure all oil'd up, but thats it. maybe if its 32 or something, but i live in new orleans. i can count on one hand a year that happens.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:53 PM

30 seconds to a minute
Old 04-26-2009, 09:56 PM

When it's like 10 degrees, absolutely, you can tell a difference.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ten_32 View Post
I've heard before (from the likes of Click and Clack) that letting your car idle for more than about 30 seconds, even in the cold, is counterproductive. The most effective and efficient way to warm up your car is to start it, wait 10-30 seconds, then drive gently until normal operating temp is achieved.
When its colder than -10c I always let my ride idle for atleast 5 minutes. Driving after 30 seconds in -40 weather really isn't good for it
Old 04-26-2009, 10:19 PM

I only let it sit warming if it has ice on the glass and then only enough to melt most while I scrape the rest. Otherwise, start it and drive easily while it is reaching normal running temp.

BTW, don't know how it is in your state but here in WAWA land, it is actually illegal to let your car sit and idle to warm unattended. They say it is due to potential theft of an unattended and running car with the keys in it but my theory is that it actually has more to do with the tree hugger influence over how much emissions are created by idling cars. I have never heard of this law being enforced, though. Oh, and it is illegal to wash our cars in our concrete driveways.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:20 PM

For sure!

my camaro i warm up easily for 5 min before i drive it because i only drive it once a month so i think it does need a good warmin up.

My Diesel i always let warm up 5 min no matter what and i let it cool off before shutting off no matter what.

My geo just start it up and its on the freeway within 3 min every mornin. Thats what i bought it for, to TRASH it since i take care of my other cars so well its nice to trash stuff- no warming up, no cooling off, parkin in the front of parking lots next to soccer moms banging their doors into mine, drive it in the rain, take it offroading, dont worry about potholes so much, cheap maintenance...

My motorcycle i have to let warm up for 3 min at least or else it stalls sometimes when i come to a stop.(old school carbed bike)
Old 04-26-2009, 10:22 PM

I start and drive right away, but i do not "get on it" until it has gotten warmed up (6-10 minutes of running).

If you start it, then floor it, i believe that will mess up an engine. Don't let it go past 3,000rpms until it's warmed up.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:26 PM

Have over 200,000 miles on my 98 monte. I never let it warm up, even in the winter. It's a nano second between start and shift into drive. Change the oil every 3 to 4 thousand miles. Doesn't burn any oil and runs like a champ. Hope to get another 60,000 at least.

I let the 67 warm up. I like that car!
Old 04-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Classic Tech Moderator

For about as long as it takes for me to open and close the manual garage door. Then I drive gently until I feel heat come from the heater.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:40 PM

The Camaro always gets a decent warmup time. Usually I let it warm all the way up or at least fairly close before I start to drive it. If I don't it'll hesitate and run like crap, which is bad when you have to pull out onto a highway to go just about anywhere. The TL is usually a get in and go affair, or I wait until after the disclaimer goes away on the nav screen. I dont get on it until it is fully warmed up though.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:02 PM

I dont think it is necessary with the newer cars like it was back in the day.

The technology with oil pumps and the casting/design is a lot better now to allow the oil to flow around the engine quickly ---
Old 04-26-2009, 11:33 PM

My car is pretty loud, and since I live in a town house, I don't let it warm up in the mornings out of respect. I just stay out of boost and accelerate slowly until the needle moves. I start it up, wait 5-10 seconds, and then pull out of my driveway.

I don't really let it warm up in the winter either. I keep my car in the garage, so it's never really 'cold' in the mornings. Even in the dead of winter, the garage stays around 60-65 degrees.

After work, or if I'm out somewhere, I'll let it warm up for a minute or so (longer if it's winter).
Old 04-27-2009, 09:53 AM

10-30 secs, tops. I live in a neighborhood setting so I drive very slow (10-15mph) for the first 30 seconds too. No biggie. It gets very cold here in the winters (under 0F overnight), but I run 0W40 Mobil 1 and it flows just fine.

Dope
Old 04-27-2009, 10:30 AM

Location: Grammar Nazi Regional Headquarters; Arlen, Texas, U S of A
I let it idle a few seconds, maybe a little longer if the car is really cold, like if it has been sitting outside all night on a cold night, but I always try to drive it easily until I get some water temperature.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you let your engine warm up before driving the car?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.