Considering a new AV receiver... Suggestions needed - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

Go Back  CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
Considering a new AV receiver... Suggestions needed >

Considering a new AV receiver... Suggestions needed

F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Administrator

My old Dennon 3300AVR is of a pre-HDMI vintage. I also have not yet purchased a large HDMI television because my old Toshiba 50" DLP is still working after ten plus years... However the ZDennon is starting to have overheating issues and I have blown the dust out of it a few times and now have an external fan running to keep it cool so it is time for a replacement.

When I bought the Dennon it was one of the better products available at the time. However when I look at the choices today they all so far exceed the specifications of my old Dennon I really don't know where to start.

The new receiver (or amp/pre amp combo since we have never used the radio) needs to power two B&W towers up front, two Magnaplaners in the back, and a B&W center and a Velodyne sub.

My entie house is small (880sf) so I don't need concert level capacity, just something that sounds good and will hook up to my present stuff with capacity to deal with additional HDMI going forward.

I do have a turntable, two cassette decks, DVD player, CD changer, and PS2 currently hooked into the system. At some point I will add BD and maybe a WII since my wife thinks it might be "healthy" for us to exercize more.

Any suggestions on amps or receivers that won't break the budget? I have seen stuff from $200.00-$600.00 that looks like it would work but have no idea about current brand preferences or quality.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:16 PM

Old 09-10-2009, 01:47 PM

This is what I came in here to recomend. Best bang for the buck around.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:03 PM

^^^ Very nice. A bit pricey to me, but my last one I bought on closeout on friends and family night with an employee discount, and I wona gift card drawing. $1k Yamaha for basially the taxes - but its 5 years old now.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by wishihadafbody View Post
This is what I came in here to recomend. Best bang for the buck around.
I've had it for a couple months now and couldn't be happier. Its actually a little much for my speakers, but it gives me room to upgrade when I get a house and have the room to not worry about pissing people off.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:45 PM

I have a strong preference to Yamaha receivers. Always seem to work well and last a long time.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:16 PM

i just picked up a denon avr-890 about a month ago. very happy with it so far. the only downside is no pre-amp outs, aside from subwoofer of course. but plenty of hdmi, 105wattsx7. all the new surround formats.i work at best buy so my price was a little different but i think it retails for $800. u can get the model below it for under or around 600 i think though which is almost identical aside from a few little things.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:54 PM

The Onkyo TX-SR607 or the Denon AVR790 are both awesome receivers that will do everything you want and more. Both can be had for under $400. The Denon is my personal preference.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:58 AM

Btw are the Mags 4ohm?
Old 09-11-2009, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Blue89Bird View Post
I have a strong preference to Yamaha receivers. Always seem to work well and last a long time.
I would say the exact same thing.

My brother and I bought a Yamaha rack system back in 1984 and he still uses it.

I bought a Yamaha A/V surround sound receiver, disc changer, and EQ back in 1996 and am still using it to this day.

Great sound, great features, well built.

Just don't get the Yamaha stuff they sell at the big box stores. They have two different lines. One for the big boxes and the stuff that's sold at the stereo specialty stores. Get the Yamaha stuff sold only at the stereo specialty stores.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by wishihadafbody View Post
Btw are the Mags 4ohm?
Yes. MG 1.6 in cherry.

B&W's are 8 ohm CDM7 special editions

Last edited by TedH; 09-11-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:30 PM

Lots of good suggetions. Look into Harman Kardon stuff too. I have had pretty good luck with them. I recently replaced my old HK with a new HK (old one had no HDMI, same situation as you).

Dope
Old 09-11-2009, 02:39 PM

I bought this based on reviews more than a year ago and am not overly impressed because of sync issues. Unfortunately, my old rear projection doesn't have hdmi, so maybe that's the problem since I have to use component cables. No less, I've never gotten the voices to sync well with the video (decent, but not perfect) and when playing Rock Band or Guitar Hero, it seems like a 15 minute fight to get everything synced right. Total pain in the ****.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Blue89Bird View Post
I buy exclusively Yamaha now. Unbelivable value and power.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Shempy View Post
I bought this based on reviews more than a year ago and am not overly impressed because of sync issues. Unfortunately, my old rear projection doesn't have hdmi, so maybe that's the problem since I have to use component cables. No less, I've never gotten the voices to sync well with the video (decent, but not perfect) and when playing Rock Band or Guitar Hero, it seems like a 15 minute fight to get everything synced right. Total pain in the ****.
It's probably a problem with your TV, I had a 57" Mitsubishi DLP TV for awhile, and it lagged by about 100ms over component, but there is hardly any over HDMI, or composite cables. Not sure what game system you're using, but if it's a WII, or something older, I suggest using composite cables, but I can't recommend the same for PS3/360, since you wouldn't be getting HD over composite...I ended up getting rid of that TV, mainly because of that, went to a 50" Panasonic Plasma, much happier with it.

Anyways, back on topic...I have an Onkyo TX-606 (slightly lower end), and it works great for me. Only real gripe I have with it is that I can only switch between 4 inputs at a time, even though it has about 15 inputs. If I want to change to a different input then I would have to go into the menu and switch which input to look at. Probably not a problem for most people, but i have a bunch of stuff hooked up to it that I switch between all the time. PS3, 360, WII, Cable box, and computer, so I'm one short, not to mention if I want to do something crazy and hook up something else to the RCA's, like a N64 or something.

Not sure if the 706 has the same problem, but it's still a great receiver, especially if it's a step above mine. Anyways, another vote for the Onkyo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Considering a new AV receiver... Suggestions needed

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.