F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

College Football week 13

Old 11-25-2011, 03:13 PM

Re: College Football week 13

Houston is 12-0. 48-16 win over Tulsa on the road. Will host the Conference USA Championship Game next week!
Old 11-25-2011, 04:13 PM
S.E. Region Moderator

Originally Posted by Drive XR7 View Post
Personally, I think he wanted some time off. Don't know what those health issues were. 40 million for 7 years is a hell of a payday, so that would have made me healthy too.
Originally Posted by raulz28 View Post
This has me scratching my head also.
The talk around the SEC is probably spot on. Urban really was having some health issues and he did want some time off. But the rumor is that the pressure at Florida was much to much. 2 NC's so close together at a school like Florida makes for incredibly high standards. Florida fans were PISSED after last season. A lot of people think he wanted out of the SEC and away from Florida while he's on top. Ohio State is an easier place to coach and recruit than Florida is. He should do really well at Ohio State.

Here's the other thing with Urban and with Ohio State. If Urban had left Florida and jumped on any of the job offers he had thrown his way, he'd have picked a job he didn't like. Citing "health reasons" and "time off for family" is a good excuse to wait for a great coaching job to come along.

I mean, I'm sorry, but his daughter goes to school 10 minutes away from the University of Florida. Being Head Coach of the gators had very little bearing on walking down the road to see his girl play Volleyball. It was a cop out, and a good one at that. I'm sure he see's his kids a lot less often on the road all the time for ESPN than living a few minutes away from them. Good for him though, it was a smart move because Florida fans were starting to expect National Championship wins every 2 years.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:45 PM

Loved the game against UVA.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by KWKSLVR View Post
But the rumor is that the pressure at Florida was much to much.
It isn't like there won't be any pressure at Ohio State. Their fans are dog-nuts. Tressel set an impossibly high bar by beating Michigan 9 out of 10. Now that Michigan is rejuvinated with a competent coaching staff, that won't continue. How will fans treat Urban if he struggles out of the gate (especially with reduced scholarships and probation)? How will the pressure be if he loses a couple in a row to Michigan?

Oh, and an Urban quote from December 2010.

"But what I didn't want to have happen, and I made this clear to Jeremy Foler (Florida AD), if I am able to go coach, I want to coach at one place, the University of Florida. It would be a travesty, it would be ridiculous to all of a sudden come back and get the feeling back, get the health back, feel good again and then all of a sudden go throw some other colors on my shirt and go coach. I don't want to do that. I have too much love for this University and these players and for what we've built."

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 11-30-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:34 AM
Lounge Moderator

While I do believe that Meyer heading to Ohio is a bit questionable, what was he going to do once his situation changed? Show up at UF and tell Muschamp,"I want my desk back?"

A buddy of mine who's a sports nut said that Urban's father recently passed away. Perhaps that was the "family" he wanted to spend more time with -- especially if he was in a terminal condition.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
While I do believe that Meyer heading to Ohio is a bit questionable, what was he going to do once his situation changed? Show up at UF and tell Muschamp,"I want my desk back?"
Of course not, but the quote is laughable. It almost sounds like he didn't put too much thought in the decision to leave in the first place, as if Florida was going to leave the position open while he sits and thinks about whether or not he wants to come back.

It's taken him less than a year to "recover". Couple that with all the "OSU hasn't offered me, I haven't spoken with them" crap that he's been giving everyone for two weeks....I don't blame the guy for taking the job if he wants it, and the money certainly helps. It just seems like a very strange (some would say slimey) way to go about it.