Go Back  CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
Can YOU Honestly tell between dvd and blu-ray ????? >

Can YOU Honestly tell between dvd and blu-ray ?????

F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:30 PM

I bought a blu-ray player about 2 months ago. I have it hooked up to my Sony 32 inch lcd tv via hdmi cable. When I play a regular dvd thru it is sharper than on a regular dvd player. But when I switch between reg dvd and blu-ray on the blu-ray player I honestly can hardly see a difference. I think its all marketing and the companies are screwing with us. Your thoughts please.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:34 PM

Re: Can YOU Honestly tell between dvd and blu-ray ?????

I can see it no problem....look for the small things

What tv do you have?
Old 11-30-2011, 02:35 PM

I definitely see the difference. I think your issue is with a 32" TV, there is some difference, but not a ton. Also make sure the settings on your TV is displaying in Hi-Def; I know a lot of people who don't have their settings right and say the same thing you do, then change the settings are are like WTF it's completely different.

Also, the difference is more noticeable with larger TVs, the larger the TV, the more noticeable the difference. With my 42" Plasma, I can tell the difference easily, with my 120" 720P Projector setup it's night/day comparison.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:35 PM

Depends on how far away from the screen you are and what size the screen is. I can tell the difference on my 61" screen from 9 feet away and my 110" projector screen from 13 feet away.

See this
Old 11-30-2011, 02:36 PM

its a 2 year old Sony lcd. I do realize on a large tv that it would be more noticeable.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:38 PM

I know there was some configuration with ours when we got it all set up between the player and the TV to make sure the TV was receiving and displaying the signal in 1080p. If it's only displaying in 480 or 720 you won't notice the difference much.

There's a difference between regular DVD's and blu-ray DVD's. Mostly in crisper edges. Is it worth changing hardware and formats? I don't know...quite honestly I wish everything would just go streaming.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:43 PM

Are you using an HDMI cable?
Is your TV set right?
Is your TV 1080p?

I can tell a difference.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8 View Post
I know there was some configuration with ours when we got it all set up between the player and the TV to make sure the TV was receiving and displaying the signal in 1080p. If it's only displaying in 480 or 720 you won't notice the difference much.
Like he said, make sure you set up the player. But your tv is most likely 720p so set the blu-ray player to that. As far as seeing a difference, I can easily see the difference.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:51 PM

My wife never really cared about DVD vs. Blu-Ray and said she couldn't tell the difference.

I bought her the new Pirates of the Caribbean on Blu-Ray (we have all the others on DVD) when it came out last week or the week before and in the first couple minutes of watching it she said she couldn't believe how great it looked.

In the end she said I never should have gotten the Blu-Ray, because now she knows there's a difference and it's going to ruin the DVDs, lol.

All that said, yes, I've always noticed a difference between them. I've only really watched newer movies on Blu-Ray though, not sure how the older ones compare.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:52 PM

There is a HUGE difference, at least to my eyes and on my TV (which is a 58" plasma). I remember comparing Toy Story on DVD to Blu-Ray and the detail you could see on Mr Potato Head was insane in comparison.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:52 PM

It's a pretty drastic difference. Not really something that is debatable like 720p/1080p on a 32" tv. I'd say something is wrong with the setup... What blurays are you watching. Is it an older movie? May be less noticeable on older movies, but the first movie I saw in bluray really surprised me. I didn't expect it to have that clarity, much bigger difference than I expected.

Edit: I guess it may be less noticeable if your tv is only 720p also, all of my bluray experiences have been on 40"+ 1080p.

Last edited by 5tircrazy; 11-30-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:56 PM

I can most definitely tell the difference between a 480i/p DVD and a 1080p BluRay.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:58 PM

The tv is 1080 and I am using a hdmi cable. Maybe its the movies that I am watching. Mostly older stuff that has been redone on blu-ray.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:01 PM

the difference is HUGE, if you can't tell a difference it's because your blu-ray player isn't sending a 1080p signal to your TV.

EDIT: Here's a screenshot comparison. Bear in mind, the screenshots aren't even the full blu-ray resolution, and the blu-ray shots have been scaled down. Despite this, you can see the stark difference between the two. It would be even more stark if the blu-ray images were full resolution, and the DVD images were scaled up to match.

http://www.zonadvd.com/imagenes/arti...s/piratas.html
http://www.zonadvd.com/imagenes/arti..._300/3006.html
http://www.zonadvd.com/imagenes/arti..._300/3008.html

Last edited by indieaz; 11-30-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:06 PM

Huge difference on my Sony XBR9.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can YOU Honestly tell between dvd and blu-ray ?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.