F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

C5 vs. Firehawk - Opinions??

Old 05-10-2011, 08:45 AM

C5 vs. Firehawk - Opinions??

Help me out quick, guys...I need to come up with a decision by tomorrow morning!!!

As some of you may remember, I've sold one of my cars, in the process of selling another one, and want to replace two third gens with one car. I've narrowed it down to a GTA/TTA, Firehawk or C5. 4th gen SSs are everywhere, and my dad already owns one so I'll be able to buy that from him at a later date...leaving me these 3 options.

There is a 29,000 mile black '02 Trans Am Hawk going through the auction in the morning. According to the wholesaler selling it, it has every SLP factory-installed option, including the rear wing with the big LED brake light. He's looking to get close to $20k for it, but I think at an auction he's going to have a tough road. I'd be willing to pay up to $17k for it, if need be.

Here's the thing, though...I can buy a really nice C5 at the auction for the same money. Last auction, an '04 with 20k barely cracked $20k...and I don't need an '04. I love the looks of the C5, but I've never driven, let alone owned, one. I've had nothing but F bodies as toys for 13 years, and have owned 1 4th gen and 5 third gens. I love them, but I wonder if I'm missing something?

At the same point, a black Hawk is the ultimate third gen, in my mind, so I'm torn. People who've owned 4th gens and C5s, weigh in on this PLEASE....thanks.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:47 AM

Re: C5 vs. Firehawk - Opinions??

Since you already have a 4th gen, I'd go C5 all the way.

Tires are freaking expensive for them, however.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:51 AM

Black '02 Trams Am
Old 05-10-2011, 08:52 AM

I'd probably go with an 89 TTA first, if you can find one (since you lsited the TTA).

As far as the C5 vs Firehawk... I'd go C5, but I'd be sure to look for an 02-04 Z06, and if you can handle the price, I'd go for an 04 Commemorative Edition Z06.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Lounge Moderator

You mentioned a TTA. I'd take that over the 4th gen or the C5. If that's not an option, I'd personally lean towards the Hawk - C5's are a dime a dozen.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:03 AM

Maybe try to get a C6?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
You mentioned a TTA. I'd take that over the 4th gen or the C5. If that's not an option, I'd personally lean towards the Hawk - C5's are a dime a dozen.
So are 4th gens. A 'Hawk is basically a very lightly modded T/A. Special in terms of collectability perhaps, but not so much in the way it drives.

I guess for me, how the thing drives is a helluva lot more important than how common it is. Vettes may be fairly common, but they still aren't as common as Camaros and Firebirds. Even if they were, however, they are just superior cars overall.

If you plan do drive the vehicle at all, and IIRC you do, I'd give heaviest weight to whichever one was more enjoyable for me to drive (weighed against other factors, of course). And since you already have a low mileage, special edition 4th gen, for me it would be awefully tough to get another low mileage, special edition 4th gen. A Vette would bring a lot more variety, not to mention a better interior, a vastly more modern and more capable chassis. Plus, come on, it's a Vette.

As for the TTA, while they are apparently fast in a straight line with their underrated turbo sixes, they are still ancient 3rd gens. Wouldn't even be on my radar against the other two. But that's me, not you.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:06 AM

A TTA remains my first choice, if I can find one. The problem is, all the ones I've found are on eBay, all over the place, and are going for $20k or more. While I can afford to shell out $20k cash for one, I would rather not...past $15k, I get nervous chewing up that much cash in a toy. Conversely, I can 100% finance a Firehawk for 3.75% for 5 years through my local credit union. At that rate, why use cash?

IF I can find one at the auction, and that remains an IF (although this auction runs a classic sale every year on June 1st, and one has run each year the past 2 years), a TTA will run $15k if I can find a good one. I think maybe because I sold Firehawks new, I've always had a soft spot for them.

When it comes to the C5s, I agree with both you and Joe...they are a dime a dozen, but because I've always had F bodies, am I missing something? I'm torn...but its hard for me to put huge money down for a car I won't have the chance to drive first, and not know how much I will enjoy driving it!

Admittedly, I can't see not liking driving a C5
Old 05-10-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C View Post
So are 4th gens. A 'Hawk is basically a very lightly modded T/A. Special in terms of collectability perhaps, but not so much in the way it drives.
I was basically going to post the same thing. I just couldn't remember for sure if the 4th gen Firehawk was much more than cosmetic upgrades so I was looking it up first. To anyone not in the know a Firehawk is just another fourth gen.

I definitely like the C5 better than my 97 Z28 as far as driving. However, I think I have had to fix way more common issues on my Corvette in the 1.5 years I have had it than my Z28 in the 5 years I had that. Everything I fixed on the Z28 I think was a result of modding.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Chrome383Z View Post
Maybe try to get a C6?
At the auction, there is about a $4,000-5,000 jump from a C5 to C6. I've set a mental limit of $20k for this purchase...a sub-20k mile C6 is going to be around $23-24k. Low mileage is critical for me.

Plus, I like the look of a C5 better...
Old 05-10-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed View Post
I'd probably go with an 89 TTA first, if you can find one (since you lsited the TTA).

As far as the C5 vs Firehawk... I'd go C5, but I'd be sure to look for an 02-04 Z06, and if you can handle the price, I'd go for an 04 Commemorative Edition Z06.
Z06 is out...not because of what it is, only because the top doesn't come off Call me a girl, but if I'm spending that kind of money, the top needs to be removable!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jason E View Post
Z06 is out...not because of what it is, only because the top doesn't come off Call me a girl, but if I'm spending that kind of money, the top needs to be removable!

Totally understandable, and I know more that feel the same way as you do about the roof.

If you want something somewhat limited for a 'regular' C5, you could consider a 2003 50th Anniversary or a 2004 Collector Edition. The 1998 pace car is also an option if you like purple and yellow.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:19 AM

reliability wise, i've had mixed results with my C5's. i think cats's is an anomaly because of its condition at purchase... but he got it for very, very good price; my first C5 had many issues, but a lot of them were due to its prior owner. my present C5Z has been great. i would say that if you get a C5, you can expect at least a couple of the common (and cheap to fix issues), so you will want to be able to do repairs yourself.

as far as overall car is concerned, C5 >> 4th gen, hands down.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:23 AM

End of thread.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:11 AM

I'm bias on this one for obvious reasons but either way they are tough choices so I'll say....Get the hawk

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 vs. Firehawk - Opinions??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.