Go Back  CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
Anyone here own or know anything about the MG roadsters? >

Anyone here own or know anything about the MG roadsters?

F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

Anyone here own or know anything about the MG roadsters?

Old 02-19-2012, 09:28 PM

Re: Anyone here own or know anything about the MG roadsters?

Midget is even smaller than a B. My dad has a B passed down to him by my grandmother...its been in the family since a month after I was born in 1980.

Fun little cars, simple as hell, and can handle like slot cars with a few simple mods. Ours is a '75 model which was the first year for the "rubber bumpers"...stock it made about 65hp. When my grandfather restored the car in '93, he added a Peco "3/4 race cam," a Weber carb, Peco header, 2.5" exhaust, ported the head, bumped the compression, and now it makes about 125hp. In 1800 pounds, its pretty damn fun, and has the coolest 4 cylinder engine note I've ever heard...
Old 02-19-2012, 10:23 PM

MG- Morris Garage, was a part of British Leyland, along with Jaguar, Triumph, Austin and Rover. Sort of like GM owning Buick, Pontiac, Olds, Chevy and Cadillac. There was lots of parts swapping between them, mechanical overlap, if you will. More familiar with the B's, I owned a '67 for a few years in the early 70's- roadster, rag top without overdrive. Mine was old enough to have the chrome grille that looked like a radiator, though it wasn't, and dual SU sidedraft carbs that I became adept at synchronizing. It truly was the car that made me learn to work on cars, I was always fussing around with it, and it was fun to drive in the summer. 2050 pounds and 98 HP stock, though mine ended up pretty souped up.

Honest mechanical cars, easy to work on, and sort of a club- anybody who owns one or did will talk to you about them, reminisce, swap stories. I think it is more of a hobby or an affliction than just a car. Loads of fun for a second car, I wouldn't want to depend on one for a daily driver.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Wild ***** View Post
MG- Morris Garage, was a part of British Leyland, along with Jaguar, Triumph, Austin and Rover. Sort of like GM owning Buick, Pontiac, Olds, Chevy and Cadillac. There was lots of parts swapping between them, mechanical overlap, if you will. More familiar with the B's, I owned a '67 for a few years in the early 70's- roadster, rag top without overdrive. Mine was old enough to have the chrome grille that looked like a radiator, though it wasn't, and dual SU sidedraft carbs that I became adept at synchronizing. It truly was the car that made me learn to work on cars, I was always fussing around with it, and it was fun to drive in the summer. 2050 pounds and 98 HP stock, though mine ended up pretty souped up.

Honest mechanical cars, easy to work on, and sort of a club- anybody who owns one or did will talk to you about them, reminisce, swap stories. I think it is more of a hobby or an affliction than just a car. Loads of fun for a second car, I wouldn't want to depend on one for a daily driver.
My dad has a B that I helped him build into a race car. He's had it for about 15 years--currently for sale--and now he's gone to a 63 Elva Courier which uses MG running gear.

The MG had the same crappy Lucas electronics and Smiths gauges that his '65 Triumph TR4a has. Talk about a nightmare. But they're fun little cars (if you're under about 6' tall...). I have to turn my foot sideways to press the accelerator in the TR4 and my head is almost above the front windshield. That one is totally stock--it's a cool car but ridiculously small. I can only imagine what a Midget would feel like. My dad recalls a story of his own when he was about 20 years old. He and his buddy traveled cross country in a Midget. It went airborne once when one of them feel asleep at the wheel, and then my dad totaled it when he got hit by a semi going down a freeway in California.

FWIW, MG seemed to be above-par when it came to quality between MG and Triumph. Anyone agree?
Old 02-19-2012, 10:49 PM

I've never owned an MG, but all of my friends who've owned them have more issues than my Triumph buddies. For example, I daily drove my wedge this summer and fall, took it to MidOhio several times and got great mileage (26) and was never left stranded, or really even had any issues at all. It all works great, right down to the factory 8 track player.

My input is only anecdotal, and many rags will tell you how terrible the Triumphs were, so take that for what its worth. In fact, my wedge was rated as the one of the top 50 worst cars of all time. That just translates to a low dollar resale and a high amount of fun.

Chris
Old 02-19-2012, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by cbpldc View Post
I've never owned an MG, but all of my friends who've owned them have more issues than my Triumph buddies. For example, I daily drove my wedge this summer and fall, took it to MidOhio several times and got great mileage (26) and was never left stranded, or really even had any issues at all. It all works great, right down to the factory 8 track player.

My input is only anecdotal, and many rags will tell you how terrible the Triumphs were, so take that for what its worth. In fact, my wedge was rated as the one of the top 50 worst cars of all time. That just translates to a low dollar resale and a high amount of fun.

Chris
Wedges came much later, though. 1977? That era of MG/Triumph was at least 15 years prior. The MGB lasted from the early 60's all the way until what, the early 1980's in it's basic form, less a few bumper designs changed out. I'd think that says something about its quality/design, but with Lucas electronics, it's already got an F- for reliability. Best of the worst? Maybe
Old 02-19-2012, 11:23 PM

I know of a mgb for sale close to me that has a build date of 10/80 ..... The last month of production for the MGB LE

Last edited by Sparkz28ss; 02-19-2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Stupid ****ing iPad!!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:37 AM

During the 2009 National Conference of the Little Cars of Britain, a press conference was held to make a public statement regarding the use of the word "midget", which is considered offensive by many small cars. The complaint said that "the word 'midget' is considered offensive to the tiny car community and should not be seen or heard on TV, radio or the interweb.
To avoid future friction, I suggest from this point on, this model be referred to as the MG Little Car.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:59 PM

MG stopped coming across the pond, but they built them for a long time in England. They actually put the Rover V-8 ( that Rover bought from GM in the 60's) into them. As did some people over here- bet they ruined the handling, made it nose-heavy.

Wikipedia has some good info- and nice photos-

MG MGB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia