Go Back  CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
Anyone here own or know anything about the MG roadsters? >

Anyone here own or know anything about the MG roadsters?

F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:51 AM

picked up a 1971 MG convertible. Upon decoding the vin, I'm finding it's a "type A" Mk III. I don't know exactly what the type A part of that means... I know this is considered an MG "B" based upon it's year.

Anyway, it's a very solid car (barely any rust and the top is in good condition) but it still needs a good restoration job.

I'm just not sure if I want to restore it, do an engine conversion (turbo buick v6 maybe? ) or resell/trade it and move on

Last edited by Timberwolf; 02-19-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:00 AM

Re: Anyone here own or know anything about the MG roadsters?

Don't know anything about them other than my friend mowed his grass once and found one
Old 02-19-2012, 11:11 AM

Cool little cars ... Bs are starting to go up in value

How's the engine run?
Old 02-19-2012, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Sparkz28ss View Post
Cool little cars ... Bs are starting to go up in value

How's the engine run?
Supposedly good. Plus I have an extra (and a trans and many other parts/pieces that came with it). The gas tank has a leak, so I'm going to hook up a battery later, see if I can fill the float bowls on the carb or just run fuel from a gas can (it has an electric fuel pump) and fire it up
Old 02-19-2012, 12:59 PM

I had a MGA for a few months (was dad's, gave it to me, needed resto)
sold for few K
purchased camaro project

Cool little car. Had a huge engine bay and a little 4 cyclinder
Old 02-19-2012, 01:51 PM

I fixed up my parents 1952 MG TD but know nothing about the midgets.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:07 PM

That's not a B. Thats a midget. A good swap would be a 2.0L from a TR7, or a little V8 from the TR8. Lots of parts available for that swap.

I've seen 302s and lots of other good swaps.

I've got a TR7 with the 2.0 in it, and I think its a fantastic engine. They may be down on power, but they are fun little cars. Midgets make Smart cars look big.

Chris
Old 02-19-2012, 02:07 PM

Type A's were in the 60's, prior to the B- they looked a lot like early Jaguars, nice cars- had a twin cam engine option that wasn't very reliable from the factory, but had lots of potential. Are you sure that is a "B"- I'd need to see the grille, but it looks like a Midget to me- which would make it mechanically similar to the Triumph Spitfire- either a 1200 or 15oo cc engine, the B's had a 1.8 liter 4. They also made a "C' in the late 60's with an in-line 6- had a domed hood to accommodate the larger engine.

Fun cars to drive, very responsive, mechanically pretty good, but the electrics were horrible. Joseph Lucas is called the prince of darkness. Electric fuel pump, separate oil cooler, dual carbs- pretty sporty for the era.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:09 PM

I think you should restore it and have fun with it. Looks like a cool little car.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:16 PM

I had 69 BGT from my Dad that I had planned an LS1 Swap into.... Something like this:
The GT

I say keep and throw a V8 in and make it fun little car
Old 02-19-2012, 05:01 PM

what's the difference between the midget and the B? I tried decoding the vin and I guess I'm not clear...

GAN5UB10***G

G- MG
A- A-series
N- Two seat roadster
5- Mk III
U- US Export
B- 1971 Model year
10***- Car number
G- Assembled at Abigdon

What's the "A" series mean?
Old 02-19-2012, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Wild ***** View Post
Are you sure that is a "B"- I'd need to see the grille, but it looks like a Midget to me-
Old 02-19-2012, 05:08 PM

Just ran across this:

I drive a MK III '74 Midget and have driven my share of MGBs. First, Midgets cost far less than MGBs to purchase and restore. Today you can purchase a near-perfect Midget that needs nothing, and which could win a show trophy for $6,000-$8,000. No way can you get a nice MGB in similar condition for that price, such an MGB car would cost thousands more. This is a big factor that makes Midgets so attractive, IMHO. A true, entry-level antique sports car.

Aside from performance, the BIG diff is size and comfort. Like Barry, above, I'm 6'2" and it's a little dicey getting in a Midget, but anyone with near-normal flexibility should have no problem. The biggest comfort problem in a Midget is the position of the driver's right (accelerator) leg which is somewhat squished against the gearbox tunnel and has limited room in the footwell. But, I'm still pretty comfy in my Midget for most trips up to about 2 hours. Clearly, though, an MGB is far more comfy on long trips (and short ones, too).

Other key differences: The Midget is quicker, weighs about 600 pounds or so less (about 1,600 vs. roughly 2,200), and handles significantly better than a similarly prepared MGB. As a result of the weight difference, the MGB is a significantly safer car in a crash.

The Midget 1275 A-series engine, which has HUGE aftermarket support, can crank out more power and rev higher than a similarly tweaked MG 1800 engine, I'm told. However, the MGB is a faster top-end car (with similar gearing), but who in hell wants to go that fast in an MG anyway?tongue sticking out smiley

For my money, the Midget is more of an around-town, shorter trip car with the MGB being a far better touring or highway car. My Midget has a Datsun 5 speed gearbox and is a pretty good road car and cruises nicely at 60-70 MPH, but again, the leg room leaves a bit to be desired. Not so with an MGB.

Also, add the chick magnet factor (no kidding). Women seem to LOVE Midgets and I get comments constantly from pedestrians and women about the car. I can't tell you how many "oooohs" and "wows" I've gotten at car shows from women onlookers. Amazing, and somewhat dangerous for a (happily) married man like me.

Bottom line: they're really different cars. Midgets are small, cheap, quick and fun. MGBs are more expensive to buy and restore, bigger, more comfy, and better road cars.

Either way, you can't go wrong as both elicit similar ratings on the smile meter!winking smiley
Old 02-19-2012, 09:10 PM

I did not know they were that simliar to the Spitfire. That being the case, a relatively simple swap is a camaro 3.8 V6 and 5 speed swap. That would be wicked fast in a Midget.

Chris
Old 02-19-2012, 09:15 PM

That's definitely an MG Midget.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone here own or know anything about the MG roadsters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.