Go Back  CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
Anyone here not have health insurance but on a prescription? >

Anyone here not have health insurance but on a prescription?

F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

Anyone here not have health insurance but on a prescription?

Old 04-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by T/A-Bob View Post
If you are getting a generic drug, go to Costco. Their price on generics is substantially less than EVERYWHERE else, even Canada.
Walmart's generics are $4. How much are Costco's? Does it require a Costco membership?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb View Post
Does it require a Costco membership?
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that you don't need to be a member there to use the pharmacy....but maybe I'm just thinking about eating in the food court
Old 04-28-2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb View Post
Walmart's generics are $4. How much are Costco's? Does it require a Costco membership?
Walmart has a short (in my opinion) list of common generics that are $4. This same short list is offered by many other retailers for very similar prices. I don't know if Costco has this, since my generics are not on this list.

But as an example of what happens when your generic is not on the list... I am on a medication for which I was charged around $110 for the name brand... at either Costco or Walmart. When a generic version became available it was around $80 at Walmart and the other places I checked. It is $20 at Costco. When I went in to Walmart and asked for their price matching guarantee, they would not do it. Seriously. Some "guarantee." We'll match the price unless we don't want to match the price. Another reason I hate Walmart

Anyway, I think the name brands are expensive for the retailers to buy & they make very little money on them. The generics are cheap and this is where the retailers (except for Costco) make all their profits.

Example (using cost figures that I made up)...

My brand name drug, cost = $100. I am charged $110 whether I go to Walmart or Costco, and either place makes $10.

Generic drug, cost = $10. Walmart charges me $80. They make $70. Costco charges me $20, they make $10.

I'm sure these numbers aren't exactly correct, but I know I'm right. Generics help people a lot, but the way the retailers price them, generics help the retailer even more (except for Costco).

In Illinois at at least, you do not need to be a member of any "cost club" that has a pharmacy. You must be allowed access to any pharmacy regardless of the umbrella under which it operates. Maybe this is a federal law???

I do not have a Costco card. I must pay cash for the prescriptions (which is fine with me).
Old 04-29-2009, 07:04 AM

Since my sister is a pharmacy student and knows alot of people in pharmacys, she was able to get her roommate to refill my prescriptions for me from his pharmacy without a perscription.

I was looking into picking up insurance through Horizon BCBS, It looks like it may be around $161 a month which is reasonable. Also, I read something where I may be able to get discount Cobra coverage due to loosing my job beyond my control so I'm going to look into that.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisz24 View Post
Since my sister is a pharmacy student and knows alot of people in pharmacys, she was able to get her roommate to refill my prescriptions for me from his pharmacy without a perscription.
you probably don't want to publicize that unless you want your sisters roommate in prison.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by ACE1252's Keeper View Post
Actually yes. Would you like a thumb print and DNA sample while we're at it with the questions?
No, but if you could share your experience and provide additional details it would be more helpful than just saying don't do this. What type of glandulars did you take, how did you select them, did you notice any benefit/negative effects?

I am seriously interested, this is something that people in my class have been advised by DCs, MDs, and DOs to suggest to their patients, 1st hand experience isn't something I have with this. And that could be very helpful. If you don't want to that is fine but to be honest given some of your post history I notice you can be on the fringe of healthcare in some of your ideas. You have some knowledge in areas but need correction in others. That is why I am questioning some of your incomplete posts.