Go Back  CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
Anyone here not have health insurance but on a prescription? >

Anyone here not have health insurance but on a prescription?

F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

Anyone here not have health insurance but on a prescription?

Old 04-27-2009, 03:40 PM

Unhappy Anyone here not have health insurance but on a prescription?

My insurance went with my old job To be honist being un-insured bothers me more then loosing my job.

I have 2 prescriptions I am on, 1 is for my thyroid (sp), I did order the maximum amount of refills before loosing my insurance but now I need a refill and the doctor wont take anything but a visit from me, he's also going to want a lab blood test and that is going to cost money also.

What do I do? Can I go to an urgant care type place for a prescription?
Old 04-27-2009, 03:54 PM

Have you explained to the Dr. that you have no insurance? You'd be surprised how many Dr.s are willing to work with you. My Dr. gives me as many sample medications as I need. And I have insurance.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:11 PM

I did, he gave me a refill on my zoloft that way but said since I havent been to them in a year he wont refill the other even though I said I have no insurance.

This just really sucks! I got over the job loss rather quickly, but the insurance thing needs to change.

Any health clinics that could help me out for less then a visit to my doctors?
Old 04-27-2009, 04:17 PM

I consider myself an expert on this sort of situation

You can probably get a small amount of refill from an urgent care facility, but ultimately you'll need to see the doctor if he won't give you a re-fill any other way.

Tell the billing department at the doctor's office that you have no job and "is there anything they can do?" They might give you a break on the bill, and they certainly will set up a payment plan (at no interest). If you're willing to pay $25 or $30/month that usually satisfies them. Then, make sure you make those payments on time.

See if you can get the doctor to write an order (prescription, in a sense) for the lab work. Then you can call around - there are independent, accredited test labs - get the best price, and then go there for the lab work. They will send the results to your doctor. In fact, your doctor may possibly be willing to skip the office visit completely** if you can get him the test results for him/her to review. See if you can e-mail or fax a brief note to the doctor explaining your current situation & maybe he can send you the order for the lab work.

Don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask for help and explain why you need it. I've been utterly amazed at the compassionate and generous response I've received from virtually every medical care provider I've been dealing with. It's actually restored my faith in mankind a bit.

For prescriptions, join the auto club (AAA) or some other similar group. They have prescription discount cards. It's not insurance, but you can save 5% to 25% depending on the prescription.

If you are getting a generic drug, go to Costco. Their price on generics is substantially less than EVERYWHERE else, even Canada. This is a no-brainer. Costco for generics, end of discussion.

Cheapest prices on brand name drugs (at least around here) are Costco and Walmart. I hate Walmart, so even if Costco is a dollar or two more, I don't care. Ordering from Canada can be risky since they cannot guarantee you'll actually receive the item (if it can't pass thru customs). In that case, you are out the money and you don't get your prescriptions. Read the "fine print" on their web sites and you will see.

You might want to consider a temporary insurance policy. Even though it will not cover anything currently going on now (such as the thyroid problem), it may cover you if you something happens to you in the future.

If you're out of work for a long time, you can contact the pharmaceutical companies since many of them offer assistance with medication prices (exactly like they say in their commercials). Also, Medicaid may be an option if you're unemployed for a while.

It all sucks. Believe me, I know.

**EDIT: I may be wrong about this. I think there's a law that if the doctor hasn't seen you in 1 year, they are limited in what they can do.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:14 PM

Is it too late to sign up for COBRA? The stimulus plan offers a subsidy that will pay 65% of the premium for up to 9 months.

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/cobra.html
Old 04-27-2009, 05:46 PM

T/A Bob nailed it.

See a provider. Explain your situation and get: 1) Self-pay billing rate, 2) Prompt-pay discount?, or 3) Payment plan/financial assistance. I think I saw the actual cost of a doctor's visit with lab work and the total was around $250.

Temporary insurance. If you have some cash, an HSA is a good way to go to cover the catestrophic kind of stuff. Some also have prescription plans and preventitive drugs (HBP/Cholesterol and some others) are included free and fully paid.

Generic drugs and discount retailers are also your best bet.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by T/A-Bob View Post
It all sucks. Believe me, I know.

**EDIT: I may be wrong about this. I think there's a law that if the doctor hasn't seen you in 1 year, they are limited in what they can do.
Bob: Thank you very much for injecting as much as you have My sister is almost done with becoming a pharmacist so I talked with her tonight and she recommended the clinic/ urgent care route. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. I also have a friend who is self employed and said he found really cheep insurance so I'm going to talk with him tomorrow.

Dest: I got paperwork on cobra a few times, but it looks to be about $460 a month right now for coverage. I dont know if that includes any type of pharmacy program but $460 would hurt me right now...

I'm in a wierd spot that I have savings which can last me, but I know if one accident happens (break a leg, fall off my bike) I'm in deep poop.

As un-political as I can make it sound, I think we can all agree that we definately need to do something about our nations health insurance
Old 04-27-2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisz24 View Post

As un-political as I can make it sound, I think we can all agree that we definately need to do something about our nations health insurance
Agreed. Its pretty pathetic how many employers do not offer health insurance. Who was the genius that agreed the employers should be responsible for health insurance anyway?

If my taxes are going towards everyone leaching off the system getting health benefits, I should be entitled to them as well

Prime example: Guy I work with just had his 7th kid. He doesnt have any insurance, I wonder who is footing the bills
Old 04-27-2009, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
Agreed. Its pretty pathetic how many employers do not offer health insurance. Who was the genius that agreed the employers should be responsible for health insurance anyway?
On that same note, I was pretty shocked last night when I saw a job for Radioshack and it said they wont provide full coverage benefits untill your 6th month anniversery for employees Of course they said they provide something at 3, but it is limited...
Old 04-27-2009, 08:37 PM

I normally don't suggest stuff like this but I have been told that thyroid glandulars (typically porcine thyroid glands) can be a great substitute for the prescription T3/T4 synthetic. They are what MDs used to prescribe before synthetic thyroid hormone was around. I don't know cost, I don't know a good source for them but I have been told by numerous professors (most of who I trust) that they work well.

But if you are considering this find a company with a very good reputation and don't skimp out, things like this aren't regulated by the FDA at all.

Just to give you an idea: http://www.google.com/products?q=thyroid+glandular
Old 04-28-2009, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by The Captain View Post

If my taxes are going towards everyone leaching off the system getting health benefits, I should be entitled to them as well

Prime example: Guy I work with just had his 7th kid. He doesnt have any insurance, I wonder who is footing the bills
World War II....Wage and price controls meant that companies could reward employees by paying for their health insurance. After the war ended and the wage and price controls ended, employers kept health insurance for workers as health insurance was cheap back then.

It worked great for a long time as they can deduct the full cost of your health insurance off their taxes. But if they pay you higher wages instead of health insurance, they not only can't deduct the money used for wages, but they also pay higher FICA taxes on your behalf as well.

7 kids? No wonder he doesn't have any health insurance. He couldn't afford it. Personally I think that's irresponsible. If you can't afford health insurance, you shouldn't be having children at all.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisz24 View Post
Dest: I got paperwork on cobra a few times, but it looks to be about $460 a month right now for coverage. I dont know if that includes any type of pharmacy program but $460 would hurt me right now...
It's probably too late now, but you would have qualified for the The American Recovery And Reinvestment Act. With that the Government pays 65% of your Cobra costs. Which would make your insurance like $160/month. Which IMO is a much more realistic cost to someone who is unemployed.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:57 AM

Thanks everyone for such good ideas and advice.

I was able to get my doctor to write out a prescription for 100 zoloft pills (the other thing I was on) but I thought I could just renew the 3 remaining refills for my thyroid meds. I'll give him a personal call in the next day, I just got really upset last night talking to the office rep who said my only option is to make an apointment and pay up.

I'll update in the next few days as to what I do.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by ACE1252's Keeper View Post
I'd highly advise against this.
Why? Do you have personal experience?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone here not have health insurance but on a prescription?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.