Go Back  CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
After 85 years of USA Made, Craftsman hand tools now Chinese >

After 85 years of USA Made, Craftsman hand tools now Chinese

F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

After 85 years of USA Made, Craftsman hand tools now Chinese

Old 01-13-2012, 01:58 PM

Re: After 85 years of USA Made, Craftsman hand tools now Chinese

Since I'm on the Garage Journal forum, I've known about this for a while. I've made some recent purchases of USA-made Craftsman stuff with the expectation that it's the last Craftsman I'll be buying. For the time being, some of their stuff is still USA-made, including their Raised-Panel wrenches, and their pry bars, which are of VERY good quality (Their Professional series is made by Mayhew). For the most part though, I'm done with Craftsman. I'm forced to move up the ladder to SK & Armstrong for my future tools, as well as scouring for used/discounted Snap On and Matco tools.

Sadly, I also see my number of Gearwrench tools increasing. Gearwrench is owned by Danaher (who also owns Matco, Armstrong, and manufactures most Craftsman stuff), but generally the Gearwrench stuff I own is of much higher quality than the Craftsman stuff, and competitively priced, mainly because it's mostly Taiwan made.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:06 PM

This is pretty sad. My Craftsman collection is not big, but it symbolized USA made. I will be looking elsewhere too.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:17 PM

I'll still use Craftsman sockets but the ratchet I'll buy elsewhere.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Lounge Moderator

They've lost my business as well.

Do I still have a veritable crapload of cheap foreign tools? Yes. But they were impulse/desperation purchases from various local Autozones and the like because I needed something quick. When it came to quality pieces that I could depend on and had the money to purchase, I was always at Sears.

I suppose I'll send that money to Snap-on now, which is kind of exciting. I've never had Snap-on tools before.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:07 PM

To Whom it May Concern,

I just learned today that Craftsman hand tools will no longer be made in the US. If this is true, then I can assure you that I will no longer be purchasing tools from Sears. I am an avid "backyard mechanic," so to speak, and have purchased nothing but Craftsman tools for the past 15 years. My garage is absolutely full of them. I prided myself on being able to support an American retailer that provided me with a quality, American-made tool. While I found it irritating that as time has gone on, more products came from China, I accepted it because there were no other American-made options.

However, if Craftsman truly plans to take production of the remainder of its line overseas, I will no longer support the company. When there was a difference between Craftsman and its competitors, there was a reason to purchase them. Take that away? What's the point?

To say that I am disappointed with Sears is an understatement. I've already had issues with the Chinese-made garden tools. I had to replace a 8 year old, lifetime-warrantied Craftsman rake recently. My original was US made. My new one was/is Chinese made. The head of the steel rake is broken after 3 months. What does that say for the pending quality of the rest of your line?

At a time when large American companies are trying to move jobs back to the US, its disgraceful that Sears is choosing to move jobs overseas. I will be sharing this email with anyone who will read it. I hope Sears has thought long and hard about their decision...because I know there's plenty of people like me that would've rather paid MORE for a US-made product than the same or even LESS for Chinese junk.

Jason Emmett
Southampton, MA

Sent...
Old 01-13-2012, 04:52 PM

Nearest Lowes - @ 2 miles away

Nearest Home Deopt - @ 5 miles away

Nearest Sears - @ 10 miles away through downtown traffic (30 min drive)

Guess which one I used to go out of my way to go to because it had tools made in the USA.

Guess which one I wont be doing that any longer for...

Old 01-13-2012, 06:32 PM

Are their Craftsmen Professional series going to be made in China too? I really like the Professional series tools. Just have that great feel to them.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mikes25thAnnTA View Post
That has little to do with them not being American owned. To my knowledge every major brewery is losing market share and have been for years now as craft beers become more and more popular.
It has A LOT to do with it around here.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 PM

i've been noticing mostly chinese made tools at sears for a couple of years. been trying to buy american whenever i can. so much stuff is made overseas though, its hard to find american made counterparts for everything. i was surprised at the redwings store as well. some boots are made here and others in china. bought a pair of 963's an a pair of 877's . at least the 963's are assembled here .
Old 01-13-2012, 09:08 PM

It's a shame, but snap on has always been better. It's extremely rare to break a snap on socket. I've seen craftsman broke many times.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:08 PM

I sent the following:

"HI,
I was just informed of your decision to switch the tool manufacturing from the USA to China. I am very disappointed in your decision to procure these tools from a lower cost region for profitability. I am in global procurement and see the outsourcing of all tangible manufacturing from the US to the lower cost slave labor regions as the root of the US financial problems. It is one thing to move the manufacturing to a region that is best in class for world manufacturing and top quality. However, it is another to move the manufacturing to a region on the sole basis of lower labor costs. I have to wonder if anyone analyzed the total landed hard cost of these products sourced from the region and the increased risk of quality issues and conterfit copycat products. Secondly, this will tarnish your brand and hurt sales. I have to wonder if the marketing team analyzed the risk of lost sales due to the country switch. I wanted to take the opportunity to share my thoughts on this issue and will not be buying any chinese craftsman tools in the future. I will be searching for a US based tool manufacturing supplier even if the costs are much higher.

Kind regards,

Matt "
Old 01-13-2012, 11:50 PM

Sign of the times. Very disappointing.

I have an assortment of old Craftsman, Matco, and Snap-on, with a couple of "vintage" brands like Fleet Tools (made right here in the Chicago suburbs in the 1960s), Proto, etc.

The Husky tool box I bought last week was at least assembled in the US with "foreign and US content."
Old 01-14-2012, 12:19 AM

Mac Tools are good too, and they are based in Ohio.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by NeoSNK View Post
Mac Tools are good too, and they are based in Ohio.
More info? Where is Mac located? I'm looking for a new supplier.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:03 AM

Not that it will matter one iota, but I sent my email too.

I am incredibly disappointed to learn that hand tool production is being moved to China. My Dad passed on some of his Craftsman tools for me, and when I turned 18, I got a large kit of Craftsman hand tools. When I moved into my first house, I bought my own rolling chest just like the one Dad had. I filled it with additional tools and bought Craftsman accessories like drawer liners and wrench organizers because I believed in the quality of Craftsman and the integrity behind the Made in USA premise. I bought my Craftsman jack stands and my trolley jack from the local Sears as well as Craftsman branded work gloves.

I was sickened when Stanley closed the local plant here and cut hundreds of jobs in favor of overseas production and now Craftsman is no different. It seems a race for short term profit at the expense of long term customers that valued Craftsman at a premium for the Made in USA heritage. Now the brand, in one fell swoop, has forever damaged the brand and given me no reason to not buy the lowest priced tools around.

My State just gave Sears hundreds of millions in tax breaks and I'd love the opportunity to tell the brainchild of this idea where to stick every one of those dollar bills.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: After 85 years of USA Made, Craftsman hand tools now Chinese

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.