Go Back  CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
AA meetings instructor smart or just plain MAD???? >

AA meetings instructor smart or just plain MAD????

F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:23 AM

Hey guys so alot of you know that i've had a bit of an alcohol issue. I used to get drunk every night. I've sought advice, and taken heed. I've been going to AA meetings for the past week, and i must say, it is quite interesting and NOT what i thought it would be. Lots of everyday people have issues with alcohol i'd never thought would. Priests, Cops, Teachers, etc etc.... For me, it's been alcohol every night for the past 5 years, getting buzzed for the past 5 years almost every night has been the norm for me. Even before most of my family died (my mom and uncle and several others) i;ve been drinking cause i like to get buzzed. Never drinked and drove though, NEVER. I'm atleast happy bout that.

My teacher told me to cut down my drinking, yet not completely forget about it. He told me to drink only on weekends, and ofcoarse NEVER drink and drive. He said that if i completely cut out alcohol, i would snap!!!! He said everything in moderation. He said that eventually i would not "need" alcohol and that it will take time to leave behind, he said that "time heals all wounds and cravings".

I hope so.... Do you agree with what he said, or do you think i should cut out alcohol completely??
Old 04-28-2009, 12:26 AM

congrats on gettin help!
Old 04-28-2009, 12:30 AM

wing yourself off of it and drink in moderation
Old 04-28-2009, 12:58 AM

Thanks guys.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:05 AM

Well done, sir.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by 1eyedmaro View Post
wing yourself off of it and drink in moderation
Wing? You mean wean?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:31 AM

i am no expert but this is what i have lived through. my dad is an alcoholic. he has gone in and out of detox at least 15 times. he could quit for a little while, a month tops. he would think well...i can have one here and there. however that only lasts a little while. even after time off, alcoholics pick up right where they left off, sometimes come back even worse. he had felt that he just wasnt able to quit. he has finally quit for at least 6 months now...due to liver failure. they gave him 50/50 change of living through the year without a transplant, he is currently trying to get onto the transplant list. so back to my original point, i do not think that trying to drink in moderation will work. once and alcoholic, always an alcoholic. once you quit you can very easily pick up right where you left off. this is just what i have seen so i can not relate to the withdrawals and cravings.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:42 AM

Dude, being an alcoholic is easy, being sober is easy. Hard part of life is moderation. Like you, I'm not sure im cut out for the middle ground. Sometimes you just gotta accept that you cant do it anymore. I feel for ya man, and I'm throwing my strength behind you dude.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:15 AM
Retired

For true alcoholics, the only way out is cold turkey. If you could "moderate" your drinking, you wouldn't be an alcoholic in the first place.

My father-in-law died 3 years ago from liver/kidney failure at 57 years old due to being an alcoholic. He tried quitting several times, but it was too late by his last time.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:23 AM
Freebird

Most alcoholics are not wired with a dimmer switch.

It's either on or off!

Old 04-28-2009, 07:41 AM

What your teacher said is true for most drugs ,however, alcohol is a different beast. Also, prepare yourself for the temptation of alcohol being a taboo to you. Since, you can't have it, you'll want it. Good luck in your journey and don't get discouraged if you mess up. Just pick yourself up and try again.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:54 AM

I hope things do work out for you. I can't imagine what it would be like to face what you are facing.

I hope that your teacher or sponsor is guiding you in the right direction. I would think that going cold turkey would be the right way, but I'm not trained in that area and can't say for sure. However, I have watched someone go through quitting cold turkey (detoxing) and it wasn't easy so stay strong.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:18 AM

Do NOT drink if you want to be sober ... I have never heard that advice before.

1 drink and the cycle starts where it left off at your last drink ... whether that is 2 days ago or 2 years ago. ---

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AA meetings instructor smart or just plain MAD????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.