F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

2012 Hyundai Elantra Rental

Old 02-18-2012, 07:28 AM

2012 Hyundai Elantra Rental

Had a meeting in MN this past week and the rental car I ended up with was a brand new 2012 Hydundai Elantra.

Thoughts:

1) Fuel mileage was fantastic! I drove over 400 miles without having to fill it up; averaged about 38mpg and when I went to fill up it only took 11 gallons of petro. I've never been in a high mpg car like that and it was really cool. I almost felt like I was giving the finger to the middle east by just driving the damn thing (and I'm not a left winged liberal!)...

2) Exterior is pretty sharp, for a compact car. It's not going to turn any heads, but it's far from ugly like the Aveo. It would have looked better with nicer wheels as the rental just had base steels with hubcaps.

3) Interior was surprisingly nice. The dash had the soft "threxx approved" materials. Door panels were hard plastic, but I don't expect this thing to be high end with a price point starting at $15k. I'm 6'2" and had enough headroom to be comfortable, although I probably looked a little odd in a small car. I was impressed with the rear seat room though, it looked like it had as much legroom as my Grand Prix; just not as wide.

4) The 1.8L didn't have much grunt, but combined with the 6 speed transmission they gave it a pretty steep first gear as it seemed to have good off the line acceleration for a compact car. It struggled once you got up to speed, but still plenty acceptable and I was able to travel 75-80mph and feel comfortable. You're not going to win any races with this thing, but that's what I have the Z28 for...and to be honest I think we all need to get adjusted to less power as we have been spoiled. For a DD I would gladly trade acceleration for fuel mileage and this car has plenty of that!

All in all I was impressed and would buy one for my fiancee to use as a DD if I was in the market for one. GM/Ford/Chrysler watch out, Hyundai is NOT messing around.

Last edited by Chrome383Z; 02-18-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:20 AM

Re: 2012 Hyundai Elantra Rental

Haven't driven the new Elantra yet, but my Dad is actually cross shopping a few compacts, including this car and the Focus. He too liked the Elantra, but found it noisier and less solid feeling (both a result of being a couple hundred pounds lighter than the more powerful Focus) and a little more cramped in the headroom area. I went with him to the Ford dealer for another visit to get a glimpse of the Focus's automatic, which is a dual clutch unit, not a torque converter equipped planetary automatic. Anyway, I was damn impressed with the Focus.

A couple of things:

Elantra is a size up from the Aveo. It competes with the Cruze and the Focus, both of which offer more or less the same fuel economy capability along with quicker acceleration. The Sonic (which replaced the Aveo) and Fiesta are in the sub-compact class, and Hyundai's entry there is the Accent.

Anyway, you are not the only person to think that the new Elantra is a solid entry (or that Hyundai is pretty serious about being competitive). But if you haven't yet, try out a new Focus (or Cruze), and I think you'll find that compact cars in general have come a LONG way in the last few years.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:16 AM

People can say what they want about Hyundai. But we've been happy with our econobox (see sig). Great fuel economy, and low cost.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C View Post
Haven't driven the new Elantra yet, but my Dad is actually cross shopping a few compacts, including this car and the Focus. He too liked the Elantra, but found it noisier

Anyway, you are not the only person to think that the new Elantra is a solid entry (or that Hyundai is pretty serious about being competitive). But if you haven't yet, try out a new Focus (or Cruze), and I think you'll find that compact cars in general have come a LONG way in the last few years.
That is one thing I forgot to mention. It was kind of noisy, mostly engine noise. I didn't notice wind... Although I'm used to a car that has headers/dumps before the rear axle so my tolerance for noise is probably far different then your average person. I actually enjoy listening to the engine run up/down, but again I'm probably not the norm on this...

I was originally supposed to have a Focus, and was bummed out when they put me in the Hyundai; but after having it was pleasantly surprised. I still want to drive the new Focus sometime just for ****s and giggles...I'll probably never own a compact car because I work out of home so there is no need for a vehicle that gets good fuel mileage. I think the Focus is very sharp on the exterior...the Cruze...ehhh it's alright. I'm tired of the Chevy bar design on all their cars. Don't get me wrong I'm die hard GM, but I think that design has been played out since about 2005.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:43 PM

Hyundai and Kia have been killing it lately.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:17 PM

All these cars seem to great reviews when they are new. But what are they like when they are 10 years old with 200,000 miles.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by iroc7 View Post
All these cars seem to great reviews when they are new. But what are they like when they are 10 years old with 200,000 miles.
They are expected to hit 200k?

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
They are expected to hit 200k?

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.
Any car except the very entry level car is expected to, and should with normal maintenance, I'm not saying they all will, but most will