F-body Lounge All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.
Please, no content above a PG-13 rating or political/religious content.

The 10 most useless body parts.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:03 PM

I disagree with all of those...
Old 07-15-2009, 12:56 AM

ibanez, I do as well, and here is why.

10. Plica semilunaris
The crusty stuff is dried lubrication for the eye, it provides protection for the eye during sleep, when the eye could be easily damaged. Not something I want to happen.

9. Arrector Pili
First of all it would be Erector Pili. These little muscles actually can trap a small buffer layer of air. Try this: shave 1 arm (to simulate not being able to control the Erector Pili muscles) then go stand outside on a cold winter day. See which arm gets cold first.

8. Wisdom teeth
True that we don't have much use for these given our current diet. But evolutionarily speaking, some of our ancestors did have use for these.

7. Coccyx
As stated in the article it provides a place for stuff to attach. Specifically the pelvic floor musculature that allows you to hold your contents up, keep crap contained, and allows for the wonder of keigel exercises that women can do. Also it provides attachment of the sacrotuberous ligament of the pelvis to the hamstrings and transmits kinetic energy up the kinetic chain of the body.

6. Tonsils
Very important for fighting off infections and for preventing disease. Not something that is as quickly removed now a days since we better understand its function.

5. Adenoids
See 6.

4. Sinuses
These have a number of functions. From increasing vocal resonance, to lightening the skull, warming incoming air, providing a reservoir of smell. Really lots of pretty important stuff. Also quite possibly this is the area that pheromones are interpreted.

3. Male nipples
They have no purpose in feeding the baby but hey what women don't like to pinch, tug, bite on a little male nipple during foreplay?

2. Gall bladder
This is a reservoir of bile salts, bile acid, and liver secretions that can contract if needed. Each time you eat your body determines how much fat content is in the food you eat and squeezes the gall bladder to release a specific amount of bile acid to emulsify fats. Without emulsification you can't absorb fats, become deficient in vitamins ADEK and die. Sure your liver can make up for not having that reservoir but why bother. People who have the GB removed end up having to watch what they eat closer than those who still have their GB.

1. Appendix
This is a reservoir of good bacteria for the gut. If you 'cleanse' your GI tract of the natural flora it comes back from the appendix. If you don't have this good bacteria you don't get as much Vitamin D or K and you can't process many foods as efficiently.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by GRN96WS6 View Post
So you're saying it would be "weird" to just have them in your skin?
Well yeah, it's no fun just having bits of normal skin pulled on. Plus the extra decoration identifies you as a certain type of person, at least thats why I have it.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
but you can milk anything with nipples....
i knew a guy that could milk somthing out of his nipples. it didnt look like milk though
Old 07-15-2009, 09:02 AM
dtp

Why 10? Because it sounds official! 11? GTFO!!!!
Old 07-15-2009, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me View Post
ibanez, I do as well, and here is why.
I was going to point out 4 or 5 of them, but you covered it all for me.

We went over some of this stuff in one of my college classes and the reason we still have all of the body parts listed is because they don't cause any real harm for most of the population.

Example: I had my tonsils removed because I was allergic to the birds we had when I was a kid and we didn't find out until I went to the ER for a broken arm. I was doing fine with them and they didn't notice until I was in the operating room. Surgery (money) happy doctors decided to take them out. We could have gotten rid of the birds and I would have been fine. Honestly, how many jobs keep you around birds all day at work?

Example from class: The muscles or whatever that gives you goosebumps. While most people aren't really hairy, some people are and when they get cold the goosebumps come up and trap more air between their hair and skin helping them warm up. I guess this would help anyone with a full head of hair too. But they don't do any harm, unless some crazy virus comes up that only affects you when you have goosebumps.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:39 PM

I'm a fan of male nipples as long as they aren't on a pair of moobs.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by AprilZ View Post
I'm a fan of male nipples as long as they aren't on a pair of moobs.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:24 PM

If your sinuses were replaced with bone, your head would be too heavy for your neck to support. Weight saving FTW.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:58 PM
WTF

Originally Posted by godofdragons View Post
Well yeah, it's no fun just having bits of normal skin pulled on. Plus the extra decoration identifies you as a certain type of person, at least thats why I have it.