CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Exhaust System (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/exhaust-system-75/)
-   -   what are the best mid lengths headers for california (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/exhaust-system-75/what-best-mid-lengths-headers-california-809512/)

Carlos8 04-27-2011 12:16 AM

what are the best mid lengths headers for california

:think:hi i want to buy mid length headers for my 96 CaMARO ss but the bad thing is the i leave in california...also i did my research i know the longtubes are better but once again am in california.

my question is wich of these are the best and would give me a little of horsepower and easy clearence to change the plugs.....

Pace Setter 70-1337

Hooker Headers 2064

bbks

mac headers

also if i miss any let me know???
any pointers guys would help thanks???

NJ-LE 04-27-2011 03:51 PM

Re: what are the best mid lengths headers for california

Check the "sticky" above ( Exhaust Reviews - Post your setup! ) and read all the reviews. There's good info there ... lots of opinions and facts too.

vangill 04-27-2011 05:04 PM

mac

Carlos8 04-27-2011 10:19 PM

I hear dat Mac's are good...by I don't know??

NJ-LE 04-28-2011 07:34 AM

MACs:
I like mine but I've never had any other kind to compare it with. I can check 5 plugs easily from the top. With their complete system, it's almost all ball and socket joints needing no gaskets. There is a single slip joint in the middle of the I pipe. (I pass inspection too!!!)

ponyackn 04-28-2011 04:54 PM

There are no mids that are carb legal for our 96-97's here in CA. You can run the different mids like the rk's, as&m's, macs and such. But you technically won't pass on visuals for carb e.o. tags and running a single cat. I went that route in the past and after a certain point figured, I might as well run longtubes.

NJ-LE 04-28-2011 06:57 PM

CARB and Torx ... two more ugly four letter words!!

Carlos8 05-08-2011 02:09 PM

hey ponyackn what setup you used for running a single cat??

ponyackn 05-08-2011 02:42 PM

At one point I had rksports with no cats, just an ORY. They are near-identical to the AS&M's with 1-3/4" primaries. However, I never got a chance to run them, I had to sell them because the ORY wouldn't fit with my BMR tubular K. So be careful if you have one of those k members. In the end, I sold them and got longtubes and I don't care to look back.
The first set of headers on my old '96 TA were slp dual cat shorties. They looked ugly, had horrible plug and bolt access, but were CA smog legal. When I bought my current '96, it had JBA dual cat headers, similar in the sense that they weren't pretty, tough access to plugs and bolts.

Carlos8 05-08-2011 03:26 PM

ohh ok thanks..what would you recommend me im planning on getting the macs off road y n pipe?? would that be to loud ???

i would go longtubes but my ride is to low...