CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Exhaust System (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/exhaust-system-75/)
-   -   Help with chosing new exhaust system (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/exhaust-system-75/help-chosing-new-exhaust-system-838087/)

97z28k&N 11-02-2011 04:59 PM

Help with chosing new exhaust system

I'm looking to repalce my stock exhaust system on my 1997 Z28 with a cat back system. I'm not looking to buy anything super expensive like the $2,000 borla exhaust. What would you recommend for a good, throaty sound and a performance increase?

P.S. I upgraded my intake kit as well.

JETMAN95Z28 11-04-2011 06:07 AM

Re: Help with chosing new exhaust system

I just put a Borla on my 96 Z28 and I paid WAY less than $2000. It was brand new and around $780 shipped to my house. There are deals on the internet if you look. I had a Corsa but sold it because for me it was too loud with my Kooks long tubes and Y-pipe. The Borla is adjustable and you can make it as loud or quiet as you like.

carlramsour 11-04-2011 06:11 PM

i got a magnaflow cat back and i am really pleased with the sound a deep smooth tone, really nice and i got mine on ebay for about 320 shipped, the part for your car would be magnaflow #15620

97z28k&N 11-04-2011 10:27 PM

Would I notice an increase in power from the magnaflow?

jcl69cam 11-04-2011 10:42 PM

Just depends on the sound that you like. I have the loudmouth 2 on my Z. Its loud without cats. Magnaflow and flowmaster are nice. Check out youtube for the different sounds of exhaust notes. Have fun.

carlramsour 11-04-2011 11:18 PM

really with any catback ur not going to see a significant power gain at most 5hp and magnaflow does flow really well and its stainless steel so its not going to rust. but realistically unless u get a true dual or a full exhaust its not going to be very noticeable, but yes u will see a small gain.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnaflow-15...item3cbd5d18e7

heres the guy i bought mine from fast and free shipping reasonable price

Procharged94Lt1 11-05-2011 06:04 PM

A true dual isn't going to add much more than a good cat-back on a basically stock motor- a 3" cat-back system will have sufficient flow for most motors.

Magnaflow should have a good throaty sound, without any resonance.

I have a TSP Rumbler- similar to the Loudmouth- and its loud.

kwik_ta 11-17-2011 12:44 AM

Check out pypes

97z28k&N 11-17-2011 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Procharged94Lt1 (Post 6817133)
A true dual isn't going to add much more than a good cat-back on a basically stock motor- a 3" cat-back system will have sufficient flow for most motors.

Magnaflow should have a good throaty sound, without any resonance.

I have a TSP Rumbler- similar to the Loudmouth- and its loud.

Will the TSP rumbler fit my lt1? The website says for "camaros 98+ ls1/ lt1 or v6 with mods". I just want to make sure this is the thing Im looking for....

Procharged94Lt1 11-18-2011 07:34 AM

I think it should fit- mine is a 94, but I'm running Pacesetter long tubes/y-pipe so my intermediate pipe now joins where the LS1 meets.

The tail section is almost identical between all the 4th gens IIRC- its just where the intermediate pipe meets the y-pipe that varied between years. Call up TSP and see what you need- with your 97 I would assume all you would need at most is an adapter of some sort.

6SpdLT1Z 11-18-2011 10:43 AM

Get on youtube and listen to exhaust clips and see which exhaust you like best. Performance is going to be negligible on a otherwise stock car, so look at price, sound and quality of materials (is it stainless? does the company have a reputation of making good products? etc.)

That being said I love my SLP 2OTL. Kinda hard to find but if you are patient you can find a used system for ~$300, it's stainless, flows great, and sounds great.

97z28k&N 11-18-2011 03:19 PM

The tsp rumbler sounds more throaty than magnaflow, I'm pretty sure its the one I want. I just need up make sure it will fit with my stock y pipe.