Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

True Duel Exhaust Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 04:58 PM

True Duel Exhaust Help

I am searching for a X-type dual exhaust kit to replace what I believe is the factory stock exhaust on a 2002 Z28 Camaro. My present exhaust pipes after the cats are 2". All I can find are kits for either 2.5" or 3" for the LS1 engine. If anyone knows if a 2" kit is available I would appreciate hearing from them. Thank you.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Re: True Duel Exhaust Help

Why is 2" preferred?
Old 08-18-2017, 08:28 PM

Because I have read that you won't gain anything by going any larger than the factory stock exhaust pipe size.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:18 PM
Administrator

What are you including in the "kit" you are looking for - complete exhaust system including headers, or just an X-pipe to replace your stock Y-pipe, followed by dual exhaust pipes and muffler? Headers typically have 2.5" or larger collectors.

Is the engine stock, or modified? If modified, what has been done? A stock engine will gain power simply from going to a larger diameter, mandrel-bent intermediate pipe, and low-restriction muffler. Why not a better catback system, without all the complications of a true dual exhaust? I would agree that you aren't going to gain much more than 10 HP with just a catback, but I don't see a whole lot more being gained with an X-pipe/true duals setup, unless the engine has significant mods and you include headers. The real gains come from headers. That's the time to go with a larger system.

The reason you aren't finding a "kit" with 2" exhaust pipes is because it doesn't make any sense. Maybe a muffler shop can cobble up something that meets your requirements.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:47 AM

Thank you for your input. The car is stock and has only 78xxx actual miles on it and I would like to obtain a more throaty exhaust sound. I was hoping to use the stock headers and cats into a x-pipe and out with 2 pipes into a pair of Flowmaster mufflers exiting at the rear bumper. Maybe I would be better off changing out the large muffler at the rear with a smaller Flowmaster.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Lot's of choices available. Examples:

https://www.texas-speed.com/c-3286-a...maro-2002.aspx