CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/drivetrain-44/)
-   -   th350 questions........ (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/drivetrain-44/th350-questions-454242/)

joelster 06-05-2006 12:20 PM

th350 questions........

I am going to be putting a manual valve body th350 in my '94Z. I have a few important questions and couldn't find any answers after a search.

1. Everyone seems to be saying to get my computer re-tuned to delete the tranny codes or something along those lines. My question is, will it harm my motor by not doing this right away? How much does the computer alter the fuel trim during shifts?

2. Can I use my stock shifter (4-speed) with a 3-speed manual valve body, or are the detents too narrow in the stock shifter to fully engage the th350 properly? Does anyone make a console shifter for a 3-speed 4th gen?

3. Speedometer. Does anyone have a link to a site that sells the required parts to hook it up again? I keep hearing about a reluctor ring. Where do I get one?

Thanks

Shon Herron 06-05-2006 09:14 PM

Re: th350 questions........

I would use a 3 speed shifter, you can use the stocker but if you are shifting it hard/quick the stocker is not the best at this.

If you do not hook up the speedo then the PCM will stay in cell 16 or 18, dont recall, but it will still run good at WOT, your MPG will suffer b/c it is not using the BLMs to control fueling. I used Dakota Digital parts SEN 01 and SGI5a. You will want to have an M6 file loaded or trans codes deleted so you dont have an SES light but it will not hurt the performance. The key is to get the speedo working so the PCM can do it's job.

Originally Posted by joelster
I am going to be putting a manual valve body th350 in my '94Z. I have a few important questions and couldn't find any answers after a search.

1. Everyone seems to be saying to get my computer re-tuned to delete the tranny codes or something along those lines. My question is, will it harm my motor by not doing this right away? How much does the computer alter the fuel trim during shifts?

2. Can I use my stock shifter (4-speed) with a 3-speed manual valve body, or are the detents too narrow in the stock shifter to fully engage the th350 properly? Does anyone make a console shifter for a 3-speed 4th gen?

3. Speedometer. Does anyone have a link to a site that sells the required parts to hook it up again? I keep hearing about a reluctor ring. Where do I get one?

Thanks

revtime 06-06-2006 12:03 AM

I agree, I have been running my car without tuning out the A4 files from the PCM and I don,t have any issues. Gas mileage sucks but it is a TH400 with a 4000 stall and 3.73 gears.......I didn,t expect anything more.
I do have a VSS in the TH400 and the speedo is hooked up and works fine.

So as long as you get your speedo situation lined out I don,t think you will have any problems running it a while without tuning the PCM.

With a manual valve body I highly reccomend you buy an aftermarket shifter and install it. A B&M Pro Stick will only set you back about 150 bucks.

joelster 06-06-2006 05:39 PM

Thanks guys!!!!!