Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Spec probs?

Old 05-04-2005, 12:05 AM

Spec probs?

I just installed a Spec stage 3 clutch and I seem to be having some trouble with it. First of all there is quite a bit of vibration when i take off from first normally. If i give it a bit more gas before letting off the clutch it seems fine but I dont want to ruin the clutch during the break in period. Next is: I have never seen this before but...Isnt 100% of the actual clutch pad supposed to make contact with the pressure plate. On mine there is about 3/4 inch that doesnt touch the plate at all. If you look thru the plate fingers you can see the unused portion of the clutch pad. Spec says that this is a "wear indicator". Sounds like bs to me but i dont know for sure. The dealer I purchased it thru only responds by saying: Its a street/strip clutch. Thats it, nothing more. 3 emails to them 3 responses saying just that. I did some research on the different kits available from spec, and while on www.speed-eng.com I saw the pictures of the different kits. I received the pressure plate from the stage 3 kit and the clutch disk from the "F" upgraded kit. The kits use different pressure plates and different clutch disks. Check this out for me and let me know what you think.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:10 AM

Re: Spec probs?

Well, I did some quick measuring for you and the inside diameter of the pressure plate is 7", while the pucks on the clutch disk are just a little over 6.3" apart. That's with a standard stg. 3 I've got sitting in the box still and some quick measuring with a dial caliper. So it sounds normal to me.

Have you tried checking out other areas that might be causing problems? A stage 3 really isn't a super friendly clutch but things like a worn out tranny mount or a loose torque arm can amplify clutch chatter. I replaced my trans mount with a poly one and although there's more vibration in the shifter the chatter in my pos stock clutch diminished quite a bit.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:58 PM

Sounds normal to me. Mine's done that since I put it in 15,000 miles ago.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:14 PM

My car shook like he11 after the spec2. It was downright brutal, adn I belive that this is in no small part the reason for my rear end going out. (a couple pinion teeth are broken) However, I replaced the stock lt1 tranny mount with the ls1 mount, and that improved things a lot. Then I replaced the motor mounts with the poly mounts, and it almost drives like a new car. Now I've got to replace the rear gears.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:31 PM

Well, that makes me feel a bit better about it. I just ordered a poly trans mount and a poly torque arm mount...hopefully those help. And the 3/4 inch of untouched clutch pad is normal? It kinda just hangs off the edge of the pressure plate.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:03 PM

The 3/4 inch overhang sounds wierd to me, but I haven't looked at mine closely so I am no authority. I think you will find the poly torque arm mount a real SOB. Apparently they transmit vibrations very badly. Like I said, try the motor mounts; I think you will find a real improvement in them.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Janny
The 3/4 inch overhang sounds wierd to me, but I haven't looked at mine closely so I am no authority. I think you will find the poly torque arm mount a real SOB. Apparently they transmit vibrations very badly. Like I said, try the motor mounts; I think you will find a real improvement in them.
How tough was it for you to replace the motor mounts? I'm looking for something easy to do after my gear swap, don't really feel like looking up at my car from dawn till dusk again.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:00 PM

I found the motor mounts a real pain in the a$$. All told, I bet I spent 6 hours doing it. Some of the bolts were just a real bitsh to get at etc. The passenger side was just a plain hoar. Driver's side was pretty easy though.