Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

shift problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 12:27 PM

shift problems

yea im new here and i had a question i have a 99 z28 6 speed and currently cant get it into 1st 3rd or 5th and have been told to check the cable but i have no idea where to start any advice would be appreciated
Old 01-09-2014, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Re: shift problems

Hi! Welcome to the message board.

Whoever told you to check the cable isn't familiar with your car. They're referring to the manual shift linkage, which in most manual cars connects the shifter itself to the transmission. In your car, the shifter is mounted right on top of the transmission and connects directly to it, without any linkage. So there's no cable to check.

Unfortunately, that doesn't leave you with good news. You might need a new clutch and/or slave cylinder, or the shift fork might be bent. In all of these cases, the transmission has to be removed, and if it's the shift fork, the transmission has to be opened up. Depending on how much work you're able to do yourself, you're looking at a minimum of $100 (new slave cylinder, parts only) to a maximum approaching three grand (rebuild trans with new shift fork, including shop labor).

I bent my shift fork a few years ago. A few friends came over, and we pulled the trans ourselves. I shipped it off to SixSpeedsInc, which specialized in performance rebuilds of the T56 transmission, and $1400 later had the trans back and better than ever. Unfortunately, SixSpeedsInc is no longer in business, and I'm not sure who else to recommend. While I had things apart, I also installed a Pro 5.0 shifter and Lou's short stick. I had my friends come over again and we got it all put back together.

Three years later, my slave cylinder is toast. Plus, there are 110k miles on the clutch stand it could wear out at any time. The car is sitting for the winter, and come springtime I'll be doing a new clutch, flywheel, and slave cylinder.

Good luck!
Old 01-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Re: shift problems

Sounds like the person that mentioned a "cable" was thinking of an automatic trans shifter. The T56 shifter is an "internal rail" design. Shoebox has a link to a shop manual for the T56. The "troubleshooting" section is very weak, and I didn't see this particular problem listed.

http://shbox.com/1/t56_service_manual.pdf