Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

A lot of clutch pedal play during medium to hard braking

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Chevycobb
yeah with the slave off. hopefully I can pull the trans soon. just have to figure out how to support it.
Rent yourself a tranny jack. I rented one for $15, and it made it very easy, especially when it came time to put the tranny back in.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:00 PM

the pilot bearing doesn't seem to be fully intact...seems to have slipped out of its outer ring a bit, and just came right out of the crank with no effort at all. just stuck my finger in and the bearing came right out....good thing it came off my finger
could this have been part of my problem? I will for sure be going with a bushing now.
Name:  IMG_1180.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  74.6 KB
Name:  IMG_1182.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  87.0 KB

Though i'm not 100% sure what to really look for. There are no obvious signs off damage on the t/o bearing or PP. i'll have to get an idea of what the thickness of a new disk is to see how much is actually gone off of mine. seems to have a good bit of material left.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:11 AM

any input on the bearing being a culprit to some of my problems?
Old 02-05-2009, 05:36 PM

update: new clutch, new pilot bushing, resurfaced flywheel....still same issues
not disengaging the clutch fully when pedal is pressed and having that weird pedal play when braking.
guess I need new slave cylinder too
Old 02-05-2009, 09:21 PM

weird issue!! are you able to shift into 1st and/or reverse easier? or is one harder than the other? surprised shaving the Tstud didn't fix this. how was the clutch fork when you took off the t stud? was the spring worn at all?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:26 PM

shifting isn't easy into any gear. though if the car is off and the trans not spinning its like butter. I really dont know how to determine if its the hydraulics unless I spring for a new setup. It's that damn play I get in the pedal that has me stumped.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:28 PM

i had this exact issue... each gear was a little harder, and 1st from a stop was a no go. ended up replacing the clutch with a lt4 disk. i've actually had good luck with my clutchnet 6 puck disk now http://www.clutchnet.com/product.php...4&cat=0&page=1
Old 02-05-2009, 09:43 PM

I just put a new RAM powergrip clutch in. Once I do get it into first the car starts to move forward with the clutch pedal still pressed, telling me it isn't fully disengaging.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:07 AM

o0... thats the exact disk i had issues with. ended up not using it.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:29 AM

its gotta be the master or slave cylinder though allowing the pedal to practically drop to the floor when braking. guess i'll play around with it when I get home later
Old 02-06-2009, 12:34 PM

did you ever get a chance to bleed the system?
Old 02-06-2009, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by DelSoto
did you ever get a chance to bleed the system?
I did, but I'm going to try it again before I spend over $100 on a new setup just to make sure.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:06 PM

well, the disengaging issue is no longer an issue! ****s fine and smooth for now. It was something totally ridiculous that I am almost embarrassed to mention not noticing it and correcting it before

BUT the braking/clutch pedal play thing still is an issue and just can't figure it out to save my life
Old 02-07-2009, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chevycobb
well, the disengaging issue is no longer an issue! ****s fine and smooth for now. It was something totally ridiculous that I am almost embarrassed to mention not noticing it and correcting it before

BUT the braking/clutch pedal play thing still is an issue and just can't figure it out to save my life
Good to hear you fixed it!

Embarrassment aside, let us know what it was so that others can look for the same thing in the future. Besides, we've all done something on our cars that made us feel stupid.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:20 PM

wellllllll...ya know the studs that the slave cylinder slides onto. one of them had to be tightened about two turns. I went through to see what all I could find that may be loose. I tightend that up, and I guess it allowed the slave to move closer to the fork that little bit more and put more pressure on it. Shifts smooth, and no chatter. REALLY having a hard time with this break in period already though

Quick Reply: A lot of clutch pedal play during medium to hard braking