Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Looking for clutch recomendations T56 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 10:07 PM

Looking for clutch recomendations T56 LT1

Looking for some input on a clutch to buy.
i'm speculating I'll be in the 450-500 crank HP but it's just a guess.
I'm looking for smooth engagement as it's a 99.9% street car.

motor is as follows
-SCAT 383 rotator (cast crank, forged pistons -16cc I believe..near stock comp ratio)
-CC503 cam
-Trickflow Genx 185 heads
-1.6:1 RR (comp ult pro magnums)
-Comp blah blah hardened push rods
-supposedly LE ported intake (def has been ported)
-BBK 58mm TB (58 only because I bought it gently used)
-LS2 coils fired by Megasquirt, timed from optispark
-36# bosch type 3 injectors
.. I think that's it. Basically all new or new to me.

The clutch is the last step before I swap old 350 LT1 with new 383 LT1

Thanks for the advice
Old 03-06-2016, 10:09 PM

Re: Looking for clutch recomendations T56 LT1

I was looking at Spec 2+ .. Seen Fred and a few others like the McLeod.. I'm in Canada so the shipping and the currency exchange kills me, would rather do this just the once :P
Old 03-06-2016, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Thirim
I was looking at Spec 2+ .. , would rather do this just the once :P
then get the McLeod Street twin

from someone who went 2+ and a few others before doing the twin

yeah they are not cheap but this clutch holds and drives very smooth. The kit will come with a larger MC. You use your stock slave (or buy a new one at auto part store)

I paid $1250 at JEGS when I got mine.....
Old 03-07-2016, 06:06 AM

McLeods, Jegs and Summit don't list a Street Twin for an LT1. Best I can find is a Super Street Pro .. McLeods lists a Street Extreme as well.
How did you find your kit?
Old 03-07-2016, 06:13 AM

ok found it but whoa! $2000 is a bit out of my range for a clutch at this time. I'm not anywhere near the 1200HP level.
I'm sure it's as great as you say it is though.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:23 AM

its not $2k

Summit has it for the same $ as Tick. Other places also carry it but doubt any "stock" it so it will be shipped from McLeod

McLeod Street Twin LT1 Clutch Kit with Steel Flywheel (horsepower capacity: 1200) - Tick Performance, Inc.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:11 PM
Administrator

The adjustable master is not included in that particular kit.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:03 PM

yeah I saw that note Fred...weird. I ordered mine from JEGS since it was $250 less than Summit & others at the time and it came with the 13/16" MC (Wilwood adjustable). According to McLeod you need the larger bore MC with the Twin & LT1/4 "pull" clutch

Generally the kit was $1500.....but these LT1's are becoming harder to keep getting aftermarket support on. My kit was shipped me directly from McLeod. One heavy box.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for clutch recomendations T56 LT1-mcleod-clutch-w-balance-mark.jpg   Looking for clutch recomendations T56 LT1-mcleod-mc-box.jpg   Looking for clutch recomendations T56 LT1-mcleod-mc-1.jpg   Looking for clutch recomendations T56 LT1-mcleod-twin-installed.jpg  
Old 03-07-2016, 03:31 PM

I've heard good things about the Street Extreme Clutch from McLeod. It's in a Monte SS with a T56 swap. He's running a 383 as well. Car is mainly a street and autox car. I'll be investigating that clutch more as I get closer to needing one for my 383.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:10 PM

The McLeod Street Extreme is a single disc clutch. Considerably cheaper than a twin disc clutch. It is what is called a "dual friction" clutch. Generally organic friction material on the PP side and a more aggressive "puc" type of the FW side and in the case of McLeod ceramic puc. These type of discs do hold more HP/TQ than full organic clutches. The trade off is the more aggressive puc side often has very little forgiveness on engagement and often results in "chatter" especially in stop/go city driving. Adjusted Driving & engagement technique can reduce or eliminate that. Slipping those kinds of clutches greatly increases their tendency to chatter

Under race conditions any clutch takes a beating. In my experience if I just "drove" the car like my mom a organic stock clutch would be just fine and have butter smooth engagement. I don't drive my 4200 lb 383 400 RWHP car that way.

so there are always trade offs when going with single disc hybrid clutches be it dual friction of both sides ceramic, Kevlar or iron composite construction

Enter the dual disc clutches with full organic discs which offer twice the surface area for holding power over a single disc clutch so you have the best of both worlds. Drives like stock around town and holds very well under track use. If the 1/4 mi was the priority than a twin disc clutch with ceramic surface will hold much more power over organic discs but again the trade off is street manners are compromised.

So each needs to weigh their priorities, and check book, and decide which type of clutch works best for them.

In my case I wish I had went with the Twin when I did my 383 as I would be $ ahead. All the single disc clutches I had initially worked OK at the track but by year two....slipping and at generally around $500 a pop....more than I would up spending on the Street Twin......like anything else YMMV
Old 03-10-2016, 08:28 PM

That's good information. Thanks for taking the time to post it. One concern that the owner of the Monte I referenced was worried about was chatter. He's only put a few miles on the car since the engine rebuild but he reports it engages smoothly.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:06 PM

I guess I'm shopping for a Street Twin.. there is one on here for sale but buddy hasn't gotten back to me.
Hawks has the kit for $1600 .. that would be like $2200 canadian lol ... a little much at this point for me.. I'll likely settle on a Spec 2+ or 3+ for now and continue the quest for a Street Twin. I def won't be abusing it as it still has the stock yet slightly beefed up 7.5 rear and tired T56.
I appreciate the little writeup as well.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:42 PM

if the 3+ is a full face disc, that may be friendlier on engagement vs a puc disc. Not sure what the friction material is though but suspect it is not organic
Old 03-12-2016, 05:36 PM

Ok so now I have an opportunity to purchase a new Street twin at a considerable savings for me. It's in Canada, I'm in Canada.. I don't get free shipping from Summit or anywhere else ..
The catch is that he sold the Master Cylinder and it's an Aluminum flywheel.
What's the MC going to do for me? Lighter pedal? .. Is it required?
How am I going to like the lighter flywheel for street driving IE daily driver ?

Thanks
Old 03-12-2016, 06:17 PM

I have had my Street Twin for about a year now, it is a great clutch. Pedal feel and engagement are close to stock. I also have the aluminum flywheel version. I actually sold the Mcleod/Welwood Master and bought the Tick. And you can get the street twin rebuilt for $450 in the future.

Quick Reply: Looking for clutch recomendations T56 LT1