Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

installing clutch fork with tranny bolted up

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 02:42 PM

installing clutch fork with tranny bolted up

ok, i feel retarded even asking this, but i'm a bit confused. while my motor and tranny were out, i installed a spec lightweight flywheel, and a new stage 3. well, i torqued everything up, and put them back into my truck (89 gmc sierra). i soon realized that i had forgot to "pop" the fork onto the throwout bearing while the assembly was out of the truck... i'm having a hard time trying to get it back onto the throw out bearing while it's in the truck... it seems to click in, and then pop back out. any ideas and/or what's the "correct" way to install the shift fork onto the bearing. it's been so long since i've done this, i can't remember. engine and tranny are a 95 lt1/95 t-56. spec lightweight flywheel, and stage 3 clutch...

help me out here, i feel like a moron asking something that should be easy....
Old 06-23-2004, 05:30 PM

Your problem is the clutch fork isnt engaging the throw-out bearing of the clutch correctly. with my Spec IV the throwout bearing wasnt perfectly round, so i had to turn the engine over a little bit until it would line up.

Just keep turning the engine and trying to push the fork up in, when it is correct it will kinda of "snap" right up in and will have a solid feel to it. When it is in correctly there should be about enough room for your finger inbetween the end of the fork and the housing, and the end of the fork should be an inch or so away from the front of the housing, if you understand what im saying.

Keep trying and good luck
Old 06-23-2004, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Valkyn71
Your problem is the clutch fork isnt engaging the throw-out bearing of the clutch correctly. with my Spec IV the throwout bearing wasnt perfectly round, so i had to turn the engine over a little bit until it would line up.

Just keep turning the engine and trying to push the fork up in, when it is correct it will kinda of "snap" right up in and will have a solid feel to it. When it is in correctly there should be about enough room for your finger inbetween the end of the fork and the housing, and the end of the fork should be an inch or so away from the front of the housing, if you understand what im saying.

Keep trying and good luck
makes perfect sense man, thanks a bunch. i knew it was simple

is that the correct way of doing it? jsut in case i have to remove the tranny again. i remember it was such a b**** to get that thing out when i took it out a few months back..