Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Horrible noise from bellhousing.. oh man

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 12:14 PM

Horrible noise from bellhousing.. oh man

I wrote on a forum a few weeks ago about the lockup failing and no longer activating and I chalked it up to a bad TCC solenoid. Ordered one, planned to put it on this weekend.

On my way home from work a horrible noise started to emit from under the car. It first started as a sound like a power steering whine.. I checked under hood and couldn't hear anything.. so continued home as I got worried. A few minutes from home the RPM jumped up a few times like the stall was slipping, and a loud sound began coming from under the car. It sounds like something is banging around in the bellhousing..

I used the automotive stethoscope and the motor doesn't have excessive bearing noise, the trans sounds fine. Then the bellhousing has a distinct sound of metal on metal or something dragging the bellhousing. On a cold start, the sound isn't there really unless you use the stethoscope... once the car is all the way up to temp and the fans come on is when the noise really becomes loud, and the noise will change with increase in RPM. I am already talking to Circle D about a converter and plan to pull trans pan once I get some fluid to replace any lost fluid; but in wondering if anyone here has experienced a bad trans pump and if the sounds are the same. My line pressure was decent on the drive home, I was monitoring it with my tuning laptop and I seen 15-30psi at random stages of driving.

I am going to upload a video of the sound as well but I'm pretty sure it's the converter, I fear the pump and trans may need a refresh as the same time =/
Old 08-12-2017, 05:28 PM

Re: Horrible noise from bellhousing.. oh man

you can speculate as to WTF it is....given you have narrowed the source of the noise to the bell housing area...and tranny has slipped some....you need to pull tranny as there is likely internal issues with it and or TC
Old 08-13-2017, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Could also be loose flexplate bolts.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:38 PM

I got the inspection cover off today and also did a pressure test. I cannot see anything visually wrong as far as bolts or cracks in flex plate but the issue is much more pronounced when the car is at running temp and I can't hear much when idling cold unless I am using the stethoscope.

This really blows and happened at the worst possible time after I just proposed and dropped a chunk of change on a ring and my woman is back in school starting Monday! That's life I suppose.

Here is the pressure test.. it's beyond the normal minimum limits as found online and in manuals.
https://youtu.be/wv1GOznSJ-I

Last edited by SEOJustin; 08-13-2017 at 12:41 PM.