CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/drivetrain-44/)
-   -   HELP pilot bearing (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/drivetrain-44/help-pilot-bearing-370488/)

1996camarors 05-26-2005 09:03 PM

HELP pilot bearing

Any tips to get it out? :confused:

Black95Form 05-26-2005 11:31 PM

Re: HELP pilot bearing

Pack it with grease and find a dowel a little smaller than the inside diameter of the pilot bearing. Tap dowel and repack with grease. Repeat until the grease forces the bearing out. Wella! :D

marshall93z 05-26-2005 11:46 PM

Not really 'advanced tech', but if the above doesn't work, you can always go to Autozone and rent the proper tool!

It's a slide hammer with a pilot bearing attachment.

Injuneer 05-27-2005 09:03 AM

Please post questions in the correct forum. This should have been posted in "Drivetrain". Moving it there.

StripedFomula 06-01-2005 11:04 AM

i really took the hard way. mine wouldnt come out either, i tried the dowel and grease thing but it wouldnt come out. i went to the local hardware store and asked if they had anythig that would work ( i didnt know there was a special tool for this) in the pipe area they had a thing called a "nipple extractor" that when turned the inside of it expanded. i bought that and tapped a slide hammer to the end of it. so when i turned it, it grabbed the bearing and the slide hammer pulled it out, talk about ingenuity. if i could do it again (and knew that the tool was available) i would have just bought the tool

95LT1Z28 06-01-2005 07:52 PM

I was recently stumped with this problem also and the tool is definitelty the way to go. But, in my case the Autozone by my house didn't have the right size diameter pilot bearing tool :rolleyes: . A couple friends of mine and advice from this board recommended using wet toilet paper. Yes, wet toilet paper will make that pilot bearing/bushing come out in 5-10 mins. I just got a small bowl of water and soaked the toilet paper in it. I then used a 12 in. 1/2" drive extension that fits perfectly inside the pilot bearing. Beat the wet toilet in their until you feel the extension bottom out. Keep packing in wet toilet paper (make sure it is wet and not damp) and hammer in with the extension. You will put a a bit of toilet paper in there and get a little wet in the process :D . After about 5 mins. or so you will see the pilot bearing start to move out in small increments. Once the pilot bearing comes out simply use some needle nose pliers to pull out the packed in toilet paper. When I first heard of this I thought people were nuts, but it works perfectly and there is no need to buy a special tool. Have fun!

Jeff

JDMZ28 06-01-2005 10:36 PM

I used the wooden dowel and grease method, it worked great. It needs to fit snug, it will work.

Meccadeth 08-01-2005 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by 95LT1Z28
I was recently stumped with this problem also and the tool is definitelty the way to go. But, in my case the Autozone by my house didn't have the right size diameter pilot bearing tool :rolleyes: . A couple friends of mine and advice from this board recommended using wet toilet paper. Yes, wet toilet paper will make that pilot bearing/bushing come out in 5-10 mins. I just got a small bowl of water and soaked the toilet paper in it. I then used a 12 in. 1/2" drive extension that fits perfectly inside the pilot bearing. Beat the wet toilet in their until you feel the extension bottom out. Keep packing in wet toilet paper (make sure it is wet and not damp) and hammer in with the extension. You will put a a bit of toilet paper in there and get a little wet in the process :D . After about 5 mins. or so you will see the pilot bearing start to move out in small increments. Once the pilot bearing comes out simply use some needle nose pliers to pull out the packed in toilet paper. When I first heard of this I thought people were nuts, but it works perfectly and there is no need to buy a special tool. Have fun!

Jeff

Is this for real or some kind of prank mechanics play on n00bs? :lol: I've been trying this for a few hours with no success...I think I might spray it with some Penetration oil and come back and try it tomarrow

95LT1Z28 08-01-2005 08:38 PM

I was skeptical the first time I heard this method also and thought it was some sort of joke like muffler bearings, turn signal fluid, etc. But, it DOES work! I was laughing when I was done because I had wet toilet paper all over the place but the pilot bearing was out. :p Just keep packing the wet toilet paper in there and it will start coming out. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to help!

Jeff

redcamaroz28 08-02-2005 03:06 AM

The wet toilet paper worked for me too. A roll of toilet paper has been my strangest addition to my toolbox. :D

Shimaze 08-02-2005 07:35 AM

Yes, the toilet paper thing is for real! I did it a couple of years ago & it worked great. It is the same idea as grease, but without the greasy mess. Unless you use used toilet paper ...which I don't recommend! :confused:

joshp14 08-02-2005 12:07 PM

I also used the wet toilet paper methodon my LT1...worked great. Just about the time you think it wont work...it does.

You cant use this method for the LS1 because there is a freeze blug at the back of the motor right behind the pilot bearing...and if you arent careful, you punch a hole right through it or knock it out of place. So for the LS1 you must use the tool.

Meccadeth 08-02-2005 01:57 PM

Yea...I used the wet toilet paper method again today and surprise, surprise...it FAILED :mad: I was sitting there for an hour beating on toilet paper inside the cavity with an extension and no luck whatsoever...even after I let Penetration oil soak into the pilot bearing overnight. So yea, I went to autozone and rented the pilot bearing tool for $30 which I'll get back when/if I return it...gave that a try. Attempt #1: Failed, the "lips" of the arms that grab the inside of of the bearing just stripped it out a little bit. Attempt #2: Same thing...I don't know why, I had opened them up far behind the bearing and opened them up wide enough. :confused: Attempt #3: Opened them up even further with the assistance of a ratchet and one of the freak'n fingers BROKE! :mad: :death: :cry: :mad: So NOW WTF do I do?! I have this $30 tool I'm only going to use once and it's broke...I don't know where the hell I can get one of these arms at...and even I can find one I bet it's like a $20. God this is fawking ridiculous, one thing after another....

importeater 08-02-2005 02:49 PM

I just ended up getting a drill bit that is the same size as the wall thickness of the bearing and drilled it at the 9 and 3 oclock position.. The Autozone tool didnt work for me, took about 2 min with the drill bit.. Its just brass so it drills easy..

slp223 08-02-2005 06:51 PM

last time i changed mine i had lots of problems. toilet paper did not work. greese did not work I broke 2 pullers before i got it it out. If i have to do it again i am going to try tapping threads on the bussing the running a bolt down and pussing it off the back of the crank. same idea as a crank puller. I have not done it but it should work.