CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/drivetrain-44/)
-   -   HELP! which clutch mine just went (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/drivetrain-44/help-clutch-mine-just-went-157656/)

browneye97ss 08-12-2003 11:02 PM

HELP! which clutch mine just went

I just burned my clutch up and need a replacement. My car is lightly modded right now, as shown in my sig. I do plan on making future upgrades. Things such as: LT headers, high flow cats, 3.73 gears, new cam, 1.60 rr, and so on and so on. Need to know what clutches people have had success with. Centerforce, McLeod, SPEC, or any others that are out there. Money is not too much of a concern, but I do not intend to buy a super high performance clutch that I will never fully use. Also what stage of clutches did you use for each brand? Any info would be great and the sooner the better. Still some summer months left here in Michigan and I don't enjoy driving my Grand Am unless there is snow out.:(

InjectedSS 08-12-2003 11:04 PM

the centerforce is good but DO NOT PAY FULL PRICE FOR ONE!! they are not worth what they cost! i would reccommend a spec clutch. for you i would go with a stage 2 or 3.. just call spec and see what they reccommend..

SPEC WEBSITE

Rodrigues 08-12-2003 11:13 PM

I'm a believer in the McLeod street twin.

93birdman 08-12-2003 11:30 PM

I like my spec II clutch. It has a stock pedal feel and has not slipped yet. I believe its good for 475 hp.

InjectedSS 08-12-2003 11:31 PM

Originally posted by Rodrigues
I'm a believer in the McLeod street twin.
yea but i dont think he wants to throw down a grand on a heavy ass overated clutch :D

no im j/k its a good clutch but i would never drop a grand on it! :)

browneye97ss 08-12-2003 11:36 PM

I'm leaning towards the SPEC stage 2 clutch setup. Most of you guys seem to have problems with the Centerforce so I don't think I want to go there. What is with the replacement of the throwout bearing with a pilot bushing. It seems that this is highly recommended from everyone. Looks like it's about $20.00 at the local parts store. Any other recommendations on related parts that should be replaced the same time as the clutch. Not sure on the flywheel since some of the lightweight ones that i have read about do not recommend their use if you plan on drag racing or doing hard takeoffs. Not for me since I am pretty sure my hard takeoffs is what lead to the first clutch going bad.:D Oh well what fun would it be if we didn't drive our cars hard -- It's only a little bit of rubber right? :D :D

turbo_Z 08-12-2003 11:39 PM

you should go with a stock clutch or stock disc at least. call Jason Cromer or Dal and order the LT4 pp for right at $208(Jasons price). then either get the GM LT1 disc for $180 or the SLP disc for $90 if you wanna save money. buying a SPEC is ok but remember you are essentially getting a painted LT4 pp and then a disc they manufacture so you pay for thier product markup and paint which you never see anyway.

Rodrigues 08-12-2003 11:40 PM

I think you need to see how long your stage 5 lasts before you start making such strong opinions. :)

Originally posted by InjectedSS
yea but i dont think he wants to throw down a grand on a heavy ass overated clutch :D

no im j/k its a good clutch but i would never drop a grand on it! :)

RedPhenx 08-12-2003 11:44 PM

ive had the centerforce on my 95 t/a for last 30k miles with no problems

InjectedSS 08-13-2003 12:00 AM

Originally posted by RedPhenx
ive had the centerforce on my 95 t/a for last 30k miles with no problems
yea cause you installed yours the RIGHT WAY like MOST PEOPLE ON HERE DONT :rolleyes: ive pulled PLENTY of ten sec times with my centerforce! but just as most things the centerforce is WAYYY too overpriced and the only reason i have one is cause my buddy who was selling his car sold me one that he bought and never installed for like $100 so i figured might as well :)

Originally posted by Rodrigues
I think you need to see how long your stage 5 lasts before you start making such strong opinions. :)
actually i had to take it out cause its too demanding for me :D honestly i dont see ANY WAY to break or slip that SPEC STAGE 5.. im not even kidding! thats clutch means FU*KIN BUSINESS :D im not dogging the mcleod im just saying that its WAYYY to overpriced :)

95Zdroptop 08-13-2003 12:08 AM

Centerforce dual friction and it graps great. About 20k miles and running strong

Dmx4ever3 08-13-2003 01:56 AM

i say centerforce df i paid 475 off ebay for mine but i think i have it installed wrong cause i have problems getting it in reverse some times i don't know why any body that can help me let me know about my problem i also changed my tranny fluid when i did the clutch and i think i put bad fluid in it rolye purple snromacsh so i put the stock fluid back in it

InjectedSS 08-13-2003 03:14 AM

Originally posted by Dmx4ever3
i say centerforce df i paid 475 off ebay for mine but i think i have it installed wrong cause i have problems getting it in reverse some times i don't know why any body that can help me let me know about my problem i also changed my tranny fluid when i did the clutch and i think i put bad fluid in it rolye purple snromacsh so i put the stock fluid back in it
as discussed in email.. its more than likey your slave AND/OR master cylinder :)

D James 08-14-2003 02:37 PM

I went with a SPEC II haven't driven it yet but it does feel like stock clutch-far as pushing clutch pedal. I found changing the clutch to be a pain, I hated it, would not like to do it anymore than I have to. If you have a lift it would be real easy, but being on your back sucks! I would go with siomething better than stock, no sense in having to change one out again if your gonna add more power, mine started to go right after the cam swap.

browneye97ss 08-14-2003 11:18 PM

I am planning on ordering the SPEC stage 2 clutch and getting the pilot bushing instead of the throwout bearing. Hope my flywheel is okay. heard the kevlars hold up pretty good. Glad to hear it feels pretty stock. I have a mechanic that does work pretty cheap and very good for me so hopefully I won't be laying on my back.